Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

If you cancel an award how quickly do the points come back to your account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, Omni: Black: Hyatt: Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold

I have cancelled two award flights 10 days ago in first and am due 135,000 miles back. I have been on hold, transferred, etc. on 5 attempts. I am angry and annoyed. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know what to do when no one will respond? I have over $200,000 worth of Full Fare Business Class booking left this year, and after this mess of an integration, it will go elsewhere.

Whoever is managing this integration (Bain or internal) needs to be fired/reprimanded. I work for a consulting firm and manage M&A integration, the number one priority in any merger is seamlessness with client. This is pathetic.

Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Agreed on all points. At your spend, why aren't you GS? Or go to LH HON where you'll really get treated like a king.

Call the elite line, ask to get transferred to MP, tell them your issue and demand they post the miles while you're on the call. Worked for me this week.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I too would be quite upset -and with your spend - hugely upset.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:38 pm

Similar Issue

I held 3 award tickets for 5 days and miles should be have redeposited 10 days ago. I am out of 360,000 miles. Haven't bothered calling because I figured they would eventually get to it after they fix all the other integration issues.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, Omni: Black: Hyatt: Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I only switched to united at the end of last year. I live in London. I am now moving to BA...I just cant stand their Business Class seats. Plus - I wanted to stay on a US airline network - For HON I would always need to fly through Germany.

I keep getting india on the premier line and everyone transfers me because they don't know what to do...when they transfer me - the call drops. The last one - I asked to be passed to a manager - from which they hung up. I am LIVID.

PS The only reason why I want to stay with United really is because it is easy to get saver award tickets in First and Business on SQ and First on Lufthansa out of the UK.....something I should probably keep quiet. Usually those tickets are never available to even my HON friends on Lufthansa.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
I'm on the same boat (albeit only 40k miles). I'm just about giving up on it, as no matter who I talk to, and no matter how reasonable my request is, it ends up with someone blaming this "integration", and with that they seem to think it's ok to [mess] you up. (and that goes for other issues, such as upgrades, etc.)

I'm just going to sit and wait until they get their [stuff] together (I hope), and in the meantime document things as much as I can.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 16, 2012 at 3:24 pm Reason: no profanity, please
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: wallet with varied plastic cards, UA MilegePlus, other airlines programs
Originally Posted by [B
crosspondmaven[/B];18213960]I have cancelled two award flights 10 days ago in first and am due 135,000 miles back. I have been on hold, transferred, etc. on 5 attempts. I am angry and annoyed. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know what to do when no one will respond? I have over $200,000 worth of Full Fare Business Class booking left this year, and after this mess of an integration, it will go elsewhere.

Whoever is managing this integration (Bain or internal) needs to be fired/reprimanded. I work for a consulting firm and manage M&A integration, the number one priority in any merger is seamlessness with client. This is pathetic.

Hi crosspondmaven

sorry for your frustration...unless you really need the miles immediately in the near future, you need not fret over this. I had a similar situation in which I redeposited an award ticket from shortly before the system integration day. I called a few days ago and got through to UA. They said they could see that the mileage was showing to be redeposited to my account, but that it had not been done yet. They said to give it another week and things should begin to catch up.

Did you get a confirmation email that your flight had been cancelled? You did request redeposit at that time, correct?(you likely already know that it is not automatic....you have to request the redeposit.) It should also show up in your MP account online under "manage reservations" that you had cancelled the reservations.

So unless you need the mileage soon, with all the documentation you should have to back you up, I would call them next week after hopefully things settle down somewhat. You could also email them and be prepared to wait for an answer.

I know these are not answers you want to hear, but I wanted to let you know my experience with this. Good luck.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:57 pm

Oh where or where are my miles?

on 3/12 my credit card (through United) transferred 30,800 miles to my Mileage Plus account. As of today, 3/16, the miles are still not showing. I would like to book my flight. Anyone know how long it takes for them to show up. My credit card assures me the transfer was done.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

I cancelled the first flight online and the second on the phone. I requested the redeposit on the phone, but for the online cancellation - it said online that it would be re-deposited. Unfortunately - they never sent me an email confirmation. Neither of the reservations show up in my reservations as cancelled. All I have now to prove are confirmation numbers and the fact that the miles were taken out of my account on specific dates.

I do need the miles now as I am booking Australia flights in First for multiple people and there is availability.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: CO, BA, UA, AA, PC, HH, MARRIOT, HYATT, MR, STARWOOD
it took mine 4 days from Chase
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Already covered:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ited-visa.html
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
did they actually say March 19th...

or "three days from now." The latter is more believable as an answer any day the question is asked.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Not sure if this will help, we did a redeposit by phone for my girlfriend and it shows the redeposit date as the date of the purchased ticket, so we were looking for her miles, calling etc., and then I looked at recent activity and it showed 11/x/2011 Redeposit 40,000

Who the hell thought this up is beyond me as rarely do we know when we booked the ticket, only when we redeposited it.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:50 pm

Angry In the same boat

Was waiting on hold and ran across this thread. Just thought I'd say I am in the same boat with 140,000 miles + booking fees gone for a reservation that I cancelled a couple of weeks ago (though they did charge my credit card the $250 to redeposit the miles.... they were right on top of that one).

Let me know if anyone figures out how to get that resolved.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by kirfan
I held 3 award tickets for 5 days and miles should be have redeposited 10 days ago. I am out of 360,000 miles. Haven't bothered calling because I figured they would eventually get to it after they fix all the other integration issues.
Standard CO practice. Just ask PMCO flyers.

You have to babysit everything. If not, you may never get miles back.

Does this sound like stealing your hard earned miles?

It's 10 days and miles are still not deposited to my account. I don't want to spend 55 min calling One Pass Service Center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.