Wiki Posts
Search

SFO - SYD 744NonStop

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
SFO - SYD 744NonStop

I'm starting to look at LAX or SFO <-> SYD for the coming august and was hoping for some clarification before shelling out my $. I see R1 and RN1 in the bucket list for some of my flights. Am I safe in assuming that this means if I book now and request the UG (miles + copay, Y -> C) the UG will clear upon request? Regardless of any details of fare class, etc? If I can close the deal now this will be worth it, but w the new copay policy I'm not excited about fronting the $ this far in advance if I'm going to be wait listed. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by eflyte
I'm starting to look at LAX or SFO <-> SYD for the coming august and was hoping for some clarification before shelling out my $. I see R1 and RN1 in the bucket list for some of my flights. Am I safe in assuming that this means if I book now and request the UG (miles + copay, Y -> C) the UG will clear upon request? Regardless of any details of fare class, etc? If I can close the deal now this will be worth it, but w the new copay policy I'm not excited about fronting the $ this far in advance if I'm going to be wait listed. Thanks in advance.
You would need to make the decision in real time .

ie

check with united or on expertflyer to see if the upgrade is still there

take the plunge and buy the ticket thru united with a credit card

it takes only some 20 minutes for this to be done

then click on the upgrade section of the new booking ( takes round 15 minutes for the credit card payment to be approved )

and take up the offer of miles and money

I advise not to use other methods of payment as a T/Agent or online booking may take some time for the reservation to be ticketed - and until this is done - no upgrades can be accessed.( that is it may take some days and the upgrade may be gone!)

Good luck
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ozflier
You would need to make the decision in real time .

ie

check with united or on expertflyer to see if the upgrade is still there

take the plunge and buy the ticket thru united with a credit card

it takes only some 20 minutes for this to be done

then click on the upgrade section of the new booking ( takes round 15 minutes for the credit card payment to be approved )

and take up the offer of miles and money

I advise not to use other methods of payment as a T/Agent or online booking may take some time for the reservation to be ticketed - and until this is done - no upgrades can be accessed.( that is it may take some days and the upgrade may be gone!)

Good luck
Unless things have changed lately (I don't know as I haven't been reading flyertalk) you always have the option of canceling your itinerary within 24h of booking. So if your upgrade doesn't clear or you don't get an offer for an upgrade, just cancel and try another day.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
I'd fly via SFO just to avoid Customs and Baggage handling at LAX. Nightmare.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:52 pm

For you experts on this route what are the upgrade chances of a 1K using SWUs for 2 passengers in late August? The entire plane is fairly empty on every day I looked at and C is also wide open (2 to 4 seats taken).
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by irimia
For you experts on this route what are the upgrade chances of a 1K using SWUs for 2 passengers in late August? The entire plane is fairly empty on every day I looked at and C is also wide open (2 to 4 seats taken).
You need to look for R/RN space...see multiple links to this in previous posts.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2.2MM, AA nobody, IHG Gold, HH Silver
It's still far enough out that you can't judge how many people will be willing to pay for seats. If you can't find upgrade space (R or RN fare codes as mmack said) then best call is usually mid-week both ways, and check that they are still selling Z9 (basically the cheapest business class fare, which is the real best measure of what the airline think will happen - if you see this dropping to Z0 avoid!).
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Midweek is your best bet; looking at August now won't tell you anything. Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun are the worst in general.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Mid Week yes, but I'm not sure the bug with UA on the LAX-MEL legs has been fixed

Abit of History, the LAX-SYD-MEL legs with PMUA had a bug, where both must clear at the same time, else the LAX-SYD would not clear, as PMUA could not clear SYD-MEL as it's classed as a domestic flight, which UA couldn't sell under the same flight number due to Australian regulations

Even today I'm waitlisted for SYD-MEL even though there is space and I'm not clearing LAX-SYD either, watching the number of seats reduce.

Most of my flights US-Australia I tend to split them up via SFO to avoid this, but it seems the new UA has the same issue with the legs.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:07 am

Thanks to all for your advise!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Asuka
Mid Week yes, but I'm not sure the bug with UA on the LAX-MEL legs has been fixed

Abit of History, the LAX-SYD-MEL legs with PMUA had a bug, where both must clear at the same time, else the LAX-SYD would not clear, as PMUA could not clear SYD-MEL as it's classed as a domestic flight, which UA couldn't sell under the same flight number due to Australian regulations

Even today I'm waitlisted for SYD-MEL even though there is space and I'm not clearing LAX-SYD either, watching the number of seats reduce.

Most of my flights US-Australia I tend to split them up via SFO to avoid this, but it seems the new UA has the same issue with the legs.
Ahh.. thanks for that..

So what are my chances? I am on a 1K sponsored GPU, of course MEL-SYD is wide open, 19 seats left on SYD-LAX (up from 18 yesterday!) and I fly next friday (6th, good friday.. thought that would increase my odds ) Are GPUs on this flight the realm of GS only? or can a mere silver sponsored by a 1k dream of not sitting in E for 14 hours... Is having 19 free a week out a good sign?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Ahh.. thanks for that..

So what are my chances? I am on a 1K sponsored GPU, of course MEL-SYD is wide open, 19 seats left on SYD-LAX (up from 18 yesterday!) and I fly next friday (6th, good friday.. thought that would increase my odds ) Are GPUs on this flight the realm of GS only? or can a mere silver sponsored by a 1k dream of not sitting in E for 14 hours... Is having 19 free a week out a good sign?
It certainly seems hopeful: as long as UA has not encountered some bug on seat assignment. I would keep my fingers crossed, and as you are 1K GPU that should put you higher in the list?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by mmack
It certainly seems hopeful: as long as UA has not encountered some bug on seat assignment. I would keep my fingers crossed, and as you are 1K GPU that should put you higher in the list?
Good to hear... I would assume so, ahead of mileage UGs at least..

Unfortunately I am on a W fare so in terms of fare ranking almost any GPU beats me...
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Asuka

My office is in MeL I have been doing this route since 2004 6 times a year.

Never had any issues with WL not clearing LAX-SYD because both LAX-SYD SYD-MEL did not clear.Or MEL-SYD SYD-LAX.
The key is to book these flights as connections not multicites.This advise by a senior UA Res agent in DTW while back.
I would say 50% of my SYD-LAX/LAX-SYD on WL. Never had any issues with WL not clearing for those sectors first.
I can confirn this has carried over post 3/3
Couple of my business associates booked & ticketed post 3/3 for last week in March LAX-MEL-LAX. Both inbound & outboud on WL.BTW W Class.
Both cleared week prior to flight date.
In all cases booked as connection LAX-SYD-MEL/MEL-SYD-LAX.

Another data points,lEX: LAX Not GS/1Ks Heavy I have discovered having flown this route so many times.
Thus odds are way way higher 839 /840 WL clearing.

Another important Historic data point. LAX-Australia-Lax is a MA,Pa & Baby Kettle Heavy. RE: All the attractions LA has to offer Disney, Hollywood ETC.ETC. The back of the bus is heavily booked during Australian School Holidays & other major Holidays. With School Holidays dates different state by state, the School Holiday period can be 6-7 Weeks. There are 3 School breaks calender year.

Thus Odds of Waitlist Clearing on this route are very high as UA need to move up elites to accommodate overbooking in coach.
It is the only route at least once a year I get Comp upgrade. And the only international route I have more than once got double upgrade because UA has to free up seats in coach.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Mar 28, 2012 at 4:46 pm Reason: Added Additional Data Point
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: their are many of them
what about flights booked as one way multi city....... booked AKL-SYD-SFO

Waitlisted on the SYD -SFO leg..... ..... it is a 4 day gap between AKL and SYD-SFO

The flight is in may

and question does anyone know if under pre-merger onepass M fares got the instant elite upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.