Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated AMS connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated AMS connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
connect time in AMS for flights to US

I'm looking at FRA-AMS-IAD with a 1 hr connect time in AMS. Is this reasonable.

I know the answer in MUC is yes, FRA is maybe not, but know nothing about AMS.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:18 am
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Originally Posted by dulcamara
I'm looking at FRA-AMS-IAD with a 1 hr connect time in AMS. Is this reasonable.

I know the answer in MUC is yes, FRA is maybe not, but know nothing about AMS.
Since you have to pass immigration at Amsterdam, I would say its tricky. Also you probably arrive at A/B gates, and if you fly United or US you have to go to G which at the other end of the airport. Delta or KLM would be E/F which is half-way.

I guess you could make it, but if you leave 20 minutes late from FRA you are in trouble. To be on the safe side, I would consider trying to get some extra time. 2hrs. would be fine
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:21 am

you also have to do the pre check at the gate since your flying to the US
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've made 50 minute connections in AMS flying MUC-AMS-EWR. I hustled and was fine. It was not what I wuld call fun. Any number of things could have left me stranded. Arriving a little early into AMS definitely helped. I would not suggest doing this if you have alternatives.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
1 hour works. It won't leave you any time to stop and enjoy the art in the airport museum, eat a stroopwaffel, browse duty free or do much more than make the LONG walk across the airport, but you can do it.
Old May 10, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
AMS airport connecting time

I have a question about connecting to SK at AMS. Flying IAD-AMS-ARN soon and I'd like to maximize my time in AMS. That means not messing about with boarding passes and extra processes there if possible.

Will UA give me a boarding pass and seat assignment on SK at IAD? I'm guessing not, based on prior experience with SA and LH.

Should I...
A) check in with SK online even though I'm usually not able to do so with UA on a TATL?
B) get a BP from the SK desk at IAD?
C) try at the desk in the LH lounge?

Thanks!
Old May 10, 2013, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by glasnost7
Will UA give me a boarding pass and seat assignment on SK at IAD? I'm guessing not, based on prior experience with SA and LH.
If you have UC access, the staff there can almost always print a connecting BP on a *A carrier for you that check in couldn't. We did that last month on our IAD-FRA-FLR flight.

If you don't have UC access, try one of the customer service agents in the C/D concourse after you've cleared TSA. LH lounge is also a possibility.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:49 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Suggested Time to Arrive at AMS for UA Departure?

Want to arrive at AMS around 0715am, will be at a hotel about 15 minutes away. UA flight departs at 0900, does this give me enough time to clear security and passport control? I assume I can check in on line and will only have a carry-on so I can skip another check-in etc. at the airport?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 23, 2014 at 12:54 pm Reason: really vague thread title
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Should be OK, those Dutch run an incredibly efficient operation. Do keep in mind that OLCI has been known to behave badly at times but even then 1:45 should be sufficient lead time if not checking bags.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:26 am

Remember that in AMS security is at the departure gate...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:48 pm

Is 2 hours turnaround enough in AMS?

Hi Looking to do a mileage run on UA. Planning to take the IAD-AMS flight that leaves around 6:25 pm and arrives the next day at 8:05 am, and then turn back on the AMS-IAH flight that leaves at 10:00 am.

From what I understand looking at the AMS terminal map, I arrive downstairs and the Departures hall/gates are located upstairs. I will have no checked bag and would check online for return flight. Do I still have to go through Passport control to Exit the Arrivals area and then clear immigration and customs again upstairs in the Departure area or are both levels interconnected. Is 2 hours sufficient to do this turnaround? There is the AMS-IAD flight at noon but taking that will not maximize the miles and that's what my objective is.
Thanks for all of your help...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Yeah that's plenty doable in two hours. I don't think you have to go the customs hall downstairs. You just have to ensure that you are checked in and have a boarding pass. I am pretty sure they do not have mobile boarding passes in AMS. Security at the gate will be a huge pain in rear, they'll be asking a lot of questions about your intentions.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
AMS has mixed arrival departure areas, you only clear immigration if you're entering Schengen. Just look for your gate which will be very close. Plenty of time.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA GS
There will be a security check at your departure gate. Very similar to TSA check in the US. Your walk between gates can be up to 10 minutes. You will have enough time for a shower if your flights are on time.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
There will be a security check at your departure gate. Very similar to TSA check in the US. Your walk between gates can be up to 10 minutes. You will have enough time for a shower if your flights are on time.
Agree this is no problem - just be prepared for enhanced security checks at the departure gate.... AMS is a great airport for a mileage run fast turn...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.