Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

In flight Entertainment- UA versus CO metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by honmani2
If you're going to and from Hawaii, Direct TV is close to useless. Bring a book.
We fly tomorrow SFO>OGG on 757-300 in R (2-class F); seatguru doesn't indicate any video. Does the 757-300 have any form of video entertainment? I cannot go and buy an ipad or other device today. Is it book-buying time?

For that matter does 757-300 F have power port so I can keep my device charged?

Thanks
Michael
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by njcommodore
not very helpful for short haul, but I saw somewhere that if you prepay 4+ they're only $4.99/ea. Definitely worth it on a longer flight IMO.

https://purchase.livetv.net/Purchase.aspx
Thanks for the link. Unfortunate that the credits are only good for 6 months. I don't fly often enough on DTV metal on long enough flights to use 4, I don't think.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I concur, free>not free any day of the week
I disagree. Better > worse below some indifference pricing point.

Our new office at work means we're paying $10-$20 a day for lunch. I'm becoming more profligate with each passing week. I've started buying DTV on every flight. Pretty soon I'll be buying TODs.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
We fly tomorrow SFO>OGG on 757-300 in R (2-class F); seatguru doesn't indicate any video. Does the 757-300 have any form of video entertainment? I cannot go and buy an ipad or other device today. Is it book-buying time?

For that matter does 757-300 F have power port so I can keep my device charged?

Thanks
Michael
Yes the 753 between SFO - OGG will have IFE. It will be drop down monitors from the overhead bins every few rows or so. And no on the power. So if you aren't interested in watching Arthur Christmas I'd suggest bring some books.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
And free crap is still crap, any day of the week.
My issue with the Pay TVs is the lack of competitiveness, the lack of recognition for Elites (no freebies or discounts), and of course the lack of an off button.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 9, 2012 at 11:43 pm Reason: off-topic
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I concur, free>not free any day of the week
^

I've had decent lifetime luck with the free movies on PMUA, in many cases ones I would not have chosen up front but enjoyed anyway.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by channa
of course the lack of an off button.
Turn the brightness all the way down. Problem solved.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Turn the brightness all the way down. Problem solved.
I know that. It's the 150 other people in the cabin who aren't paying for it and don't want to watch it who don't know how to use the controls that aren't intuitive.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

I just flew a new looking 739 today for 4 hrs with ZERO IFE in F or Y. We could all stare up at the blue and pink lighting scheme though

At least PMUA had IFE system wide after retiring the 737 (which at least has audio)

What is going on? Are all the new 739 zombie planes? 4 hour flight no less
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I just flew a new looking 739 today for 4 hrs with ZERO IFE in F or Y. We could all stare up at the blue and pink lighting scheme though

At least PMUA had IFE system wide after retiring the 737 (which at least has audio)

What is going on? Are all the new 739 zombie planes? 4 hour flight no less
All the new delivered 738/739 aircraft are being delivered IFEless, fly around for a bit, then are taken out of service to have the DirecTV system installed.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Saturday was a new and different experience for me. I had checked flight status and thought it was wrong but it wasn't. I got a 738 with drop down screens/audio selection and a 757-300 with Direct TV and in seat power. From what I'd read here, I was expecting the opposite.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by channa
I know that. It's the 150 other people in the cabin who aren't paying for it and don't want to watch it who don't know how to use the controls that aren't intuitive.
and that affects you how?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by wtigerFF
Saturday was a new and different experience for me. I had checked flight status and thought it was wrong but it wasn't. I got a 738 with drop down screens/audio selection and a 757-300 with Direct TV and in seat power. From what I'd read here, I was expecting the opposite.
The 738 you were on is the mid-cabin lav 20/132 version, and the 753 you were on was newly reconfigured with DirecTV, E+, however be warned that only 9 of the 21 753s will be getting DirecTV. The ones mostly used to Hawaii (Tail #s 860-871) will not be receiving DirecTV.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on a CO 777 the other day with AVOD, and it did have an off button. Out of curiosity, I kept hitting the brightness down button (like I'm accustomed to on the 737), but it only dimmed a bit, but never went off. Most people had it off, likely thanks to the off button.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
All the new delivered 738/739 aircraft are being delivered IFEless, fly around for a bit, then are taken out of service to have the DirecTV system installed.
Tell me about it. I always seem to get these on day flights, and the DTV on redeyes.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The 738 you were on is the mid-cabin lav 20/132 version, and the 753 you were on was newly reconfigured with DirecTV, E+, however be warned that only 9 of the 21 753s will be getting DirecTV. The ones mostly used to Hawaii (Tail #s 860-871) will not be receiving DirecTV.
thanks for the explanation. I knew there were several different configs for the 738 as I'd gotten the one with nothing several times. I just didn't realize they could have any other type of IFE. As for the 753, that was a pleasant surprise. Several people had stated earlier that they all had drop down screens so I never occurred to me that it could have had anything else. It's nice to know at least some of them they are getting reconfigured. Will the other 12 753s get E+ and In Seat Power? That's more important to me than that DirecTV, especially if I'm not upgraded.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wtigerFF
As for the 753, that was a pleasant surprise. Several people had stated earlier that they all had drop down screens so I never occurred to me that it could have had anything else. It's nice to know at least some of them they are getting reconfigured. Will the other 12 753s get E+ and In Seat Power? That's more important to me than that DirecTV, especially if I'm not upgraded.
Most of them have E+ now. Power is only on the aircraft with DirecTV for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.