Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

In flight Entertainment- UA versus CO metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In flight Entertainment- UA versus CO metal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by PDILLM
Is there any hope of getting consistency across United when it comes to in flight entertainment?
I have in-flight consistency across all airlines and all aircraft: a book to read, a pad and paper to write personal correspondence with, and fools (be they fellow passengers or crew) to watch.

As to electronic entertainment: toss all the video (recorded or live), music, and games and just give me Ch. 9.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Wow, thats ridiculous. I bet they'd make a mint on Thursday nights with all of the business travelers.

I remember many years ago, I was on a flight and the Giants were playing Minnesota -- they had the radio call on the IFE system somehow. This was back in the mid 90s. I have no idea how and have never seen it since but I'd love to get a live game on the headphones.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by TimF1975
Wow, thats ridiculous. I bet they'd make a mint on Thursday nights with all of the business travelers.

I remember many years ago, I was on a flight and the Giants were playing Minnesota -- they had the radio call on the IFE system somehow. This was back in the mid 90s. I have no idea how and have never seen it since but I'd love to get a live game on the headphones.
Flew BWI-DEN today and they do have NFL Network now. In fact, they have Red Zone available on Sundays as well. They ended up giving it away for free due to a lengthy maintenance delay, it looked like every other person was tuned to college football.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: AS 100K
To the OP, it's been stated elsewhere, but no harm in doing it here too: subsidiary United flights (PMUA planes and crew) have flight numbers 200-999; subsidiary Continental flights (PMCO planes and crew) have flight numbers 1-199 and 1000-1999.

Also, FWIW, several PMCO 737s have no IFE, and all of the 757-300s have drop down screens. The PMCO 757-200s have AVOD systems similar to the 777s, though with a more limited selection.

Last edited by flyingmusicianlax; Sep 23, 2012 at 10:07 am
Old Sep 23, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: MP 1K MM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by UAgeek71
On topic - anyone know why the PMCO Long haul and PMUA Long haul IFE have a different GUI?

The PMUA version seems a bit "faster" for lack of a better word, and more intuitive. The PMCO is a bit more bland in terms of interface, and functionality is less responsive. If they are both made by Panasonic and appear to be essentially the same - why can't they standardize the GUI and interface???

Even the newly configured 767 ghetto birds with the new BF seats, seem to have the clunkier PMCO wrap on the IFE. Thoughts, ideas or insights???
#FAIL on the PMUA user interface!!!

Give me a break, a CURSOR on a touch interface? And no visual feedback when a button is selected?

FF/REW counter doesn't update so no idea how far you've gone. Not to mention using the wrong symbol: >>| and |<< which means skip to next/previous rather than >> and << which are universal symbols for rewind and fast forward respectively.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by BigBossman
Personally, on the domestic flights, I prefer the CO DTV to UA's ancient drop-down one channel of programming.
+1 I prefer the planes as well to UA's ancient fleet. Anymore it's just Airbus or RJs to choose from.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA2MM AND 1K, HYATT GLOBALIST, AVIS PRES CLUB.
Originally Posted by PDILLM
Guess what, was legacy continental metal and all they had was the Directv. So, not only was there no free tv, but I had nothing to watch since I foolishly put my hopes in the Hemispheres magazine.
The DirectTV (former CO metal) has numerous movie options.These are internal selections not broadcasted by DTV. Lots of options.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:00 pm

It can't get any easier. It tells you exactly what will be on the plane within 24 hours of takeoff. I wish it was more consistent but since when is anything in the airline business consistent?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Free IFE > DirecTV that includes incredibly loud announcements to "Swipe Now!"
Truth
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:09 pm

I prefer these in this order

1. AVOD
2. DirecTV
3. shared entertainment
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
It can't get any easier. It tells you exactly what will be on the plane within 24 hours of takeoff. I wish it was more consistent but since when is anything in the airline business consistent?
I wish it were easier to tell > 24 hours out. I recently chose a transcon on a CO 738 for tge good chance of Direct TV (SFO over a transcon to LAX on a PMUA 320)... found out at T-24 it was one without DTV unfortunately.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
IAH-LGA

My bad. I booked the above back in January and flied it on 9/22. It was an airbus with no direct TV. They had one movie on the drop down screens and it was not a good one. As out of EWR I am always flying PMCO birds I am so use to Direct TV..... Thanks goodness I had a good book to read on my iPad.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
I prefer these in this order

1. AVOD
2. DirecTV
3. shared entertainment
If I'm in C/F - of course

If I'm in Y, give me the reverse any day
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:39 pm

Yes, shared IFE on PMUA aircraft is free but for frequent travelers it get's old quick and includes a limited selection. In the past month I've seen battleship 3 times and What to Expect when you're expecting twice.

One thing I like about UA aircraft is the audio option during the ~30 minutes that electronics have to be off. Though the offerings are inconsistent and many channels have no content.

The two prong adapters on the non DTV PMCO narrowbodies is pretty asinine. The adapters are poorly made and don't always work so you are stuck listening through only one ear. The audio options on these flights are inconsistent and not every channel has content.

Though I will be honest as much as I want UA to make significant investments in improving IFE it will be very unlikely I ever pay for it when I'm in Y. Maybe I fork over $8 for DTV on a transcon or to watch a game but not for a ~2-3 hour flight. I took a VX flt a month ago and they wanted $15 for wifi and $8 per AVOD movie. Sorry, I want to be entertained but not by paying an additional $20-40 in food/ife
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
If I'm in C/F - of course

If I'm in Y, give me the reverse any day
I'll still take AVOD first, even in Y. After that I use neither. The shared overhead is useless to me and I won't pay for the DirecTV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.