Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:56 am

Thank you very much for clearly laying out the options!

The order of doing things should I guess be 1, 2 and then 4.

Number 3 doesn't really seem realistic for only 600 euros and I also do not speak fluent German.

Originally Posted by threeoh
Most EU airlines have a form, but UA does not. The only way to request is through the normal customer service channels.

Your options are:

(1) keep trying with United (but you are already using the right channel, they are just denying your claim to hope you go away)

(2) go to national authority, which has no power to compel UA to do anything but could apply pressure or give you a clearer case if they agree with you

(3) sue in German court

(4) use a private contingency-based service that will pursue your claim for free but take a cut of the compensation

(5) give up and go home

The EU really needs to make some kind of penalty for improperly-denied claims, otherwise it's in the airlines' interests to just deny deny deny and wait for someone to file a lawsuit.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's more nuanced than that. I read the CAA's advice to airlines for determining cause and it recommends the airline consider only one level of knock-on effects from extraordinary weather events, and only at non-hub airports where it is not reasonable to hold spare planes and crews.
I hadn't seen that before; that seems much more pro-airline than anything else in EC.261.

That said, it still wouldn't matter, because there haven't been any extraordinary weather events in the US this summer. Evening thunderstorms in Newark don't count.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by rixdorf
Thank you very much for clearly laying out the options!

The order of doing things should I guess be 1, 2 and then 4.

Number 3 doesn't really seem realistic for only 600 euros and I also do not speak fluent German.
This is what United certainly banks on, and I assume other airlines too. I have an ongoing one in the UK courts but we have a limit as to how much it costs us, the most it will be is £50. Which is refundable if United lose/don't turn up/cave in on the steps of the court. It's really, really frustrating I have to say.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I hadn't seen that before; that seems much more pro-airline than anything else in EC.261.

That said, it still wouldn't matter, because there haven't been any extraordinary weather events in the US this summer. Evening thunderstorms in Newark don't count.
Yeah, sorry I can't find the PDF again. It was publicly available but it was an internal document meant for CAA staff to help decide whether an event was extraordinary.

The CAA also says that "Weather conditions incompatible with the safe operation of the flight" count as extraordinary circumstances. What's your court case that says otherwise?

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Res...compensation-/
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The CAA also says that "Weather conditions incompatible with the safe operation of the flight" count as extraordinary circumstances. What's your court case that says otherwise?
Actually, there's surprisingly little case law on the subject -- or, at least, I haven't been able to find it. All I can find is that volcanic plumes, bird strikes, and loose screws on the runway are all extraordinary (but the duty of care is still called for even so -- just not the compensation). I believe it was generally agreed that Sandy and Harvey were both extraordinary.

I suspect a FAA-mandated ground stop would be considered uncontrollable, albeit perhaps not extraordinary. However, I would guess that a UA-requested ground delay would not pass muster. (This likely only matters for connecting flights under Wegener; UA's not going to issue a ground delay without prioritizing EU traffic).

The most relevant case for the OP would be Eglītis and Ratnieks, where the court ruled that airBaltic was responsible for having a spare crew available at CPH to operate a flight to Riga within a reasonable amount of time after the extraordinary event ended. (Malmö sector had a power outage at 20:30; it was restored at 22:45, whereupon the crew timed out). This is the basis for the advice that delayed inbounds o not qualify under the exception "where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken," because by failing to get a backup plane / crew to the EU to operate the flight, UA did not take advantage of a reasonable measure. (Note: your definition of 'reasonable' may differ from the CJEU's).

This seems to fly in the face of the one level of knock-on effects language you mentioned in the CAA's document, given that CPH isn't a hub for airBaltic.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:31 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Originally Posted by rixdorf

That is what they count on!
No need to speak German.... your lawyer will handle it all! Easy process have done it many time - you do not get involved much...
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Seems to me this thread is taking on a very legal approach. I’ve always done well with an honest and direct approach by finding a resolution that way. Do you think the fellow Flyertalkers whom suffered a delay can weed through all this technical jargon. I think the thread is steering in a way away from helping others by scaring them away. I know the intention is well but from looking from the outside I’m not really seeing it that way.

To keep to the threads topic. My experience with United and EC 261 was dealt with swiftly and professionally. I decided to take a $900 USDECERT Instead of the $600€
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Seems to me this thread is taking on a very legal approach. I’ve always done well with an honest and direct approach by finding a resolution that way. Do you think the fellow Flyertalkers whom suffered a delay can weed through all this technical jargon. I think the thread is steering in a way away from helping others by scaring them away. I know the intention is well but from looking from the outside I’m not really seeing it that way.

To keep to the threads topic. My experience with United and EC 261 was dealt with swiftly and professionally. I decided to take a $900 USDECERT Instead of the $600€
I too have been successful with my claims and taken both checks and ETCs.

I think the thread is showing that United is attempting to not pay some claims.

I was astounded for the pax in July (2019) on the CDG-IAD flight who was denied as I was checked in on the same flight and saw the arriving flight was delayed so proactively did a SDC by calling the 1K desk. That was an example where that pax should have received the compensation and when denied by United for "legal" reasons needed to know options.

Yes, this thread should be assisting folks looking to understand when and how to make a claim, but just as importantly understand what to do when United denied a valid claim including the information/name of the relevant court case. FT is very much about sharing our knowledge, experience and expertise.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Aug 17, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:03 pm

Do you think the status of the person making the request makes a difference? I'm Gold this year, not 1K; daughter has no status at the moment. Would it make the smallest difference if I sent in a follow up on her behalf?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by mmthomps
Do you think the status of the person making the request makes a difference? I'm Gold this year, not 1K; daughter has no status at the moment. Would it make the smallest difference if I sent in a follow up on her behalf?
I don’t think status really means anything for EC 261 compensation, however the courtesy ECERTD that they tend to offer in addition to the EC 261 is aligned to ones status. Go ahead and see what you can get I see no harm. In the end, I don’t think you could do anything but help her
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold
EC 261 Eligible?

Recently returned from Europe FRA-EWR-RIC (same itinerary, booked through UA). Both flights were delayed, so out of curiosity I plugged the info into the AirHelp app. To my surprise, AirHelp says I'm entitled to 600 Euro.

Flight details:

UA 961 FRA-EWR

Scheduled departure: 11:20 am / Actual departure: 12:24 pm
Scheduled arrival: 1:50 pm / Actual arrival: 3:15 pm

Reason for delay: delayed incoming aircraft

UA 4994 EWR-RIC

Scheduled departure: 5:00 pm / Actual departure: 6:59 pm
Scheduled arrival: 6:44 pm / Actual arrival: 9:16 pm

Reason for delay: delayed incoming aircraft, and then maintenance issue

I'm confused as to why the app is saying EC 261 comp is due, as everything I've read here suggests delays to final destination under 3 hours are not eligible. Have there been recent changes to the regulation? Is the app not reliable?

I received some very helpful responses when I posted about issues with the outbound flight, so I'm hoping that once again those with more knowledge / experience on this subject can enlighten me. I'd rather not look like an arse by writing UA to request EC 261 comp if not eligible.

TIA!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by fasttrak7
Recently returned from Europe FRA-EWR-RIC (same itinerary, booked through UA). Both flights were delayed, so out of curiosity I plugged the info into the AirHelp app. To my surprise, AirHelp says I'm entitled to 600 Euro.

Flight details:

UA 961 FRA-EWR

Scheduled departure: 11:20 am / Actual departure: 12:24 pm
Scheduled arrival: 1:50 pm / Actual arrival: 3:15 pm

Reason for delay: delayed incoming aircraft

UA 4994 EWR-RIC

Scheduled departure: 5:00 pm / Actual departure: 6:59 pm
Scheduled arrival: 6:44 pm / Actual arrival: 9:16 pm

Reason for delay: delayed incoming aircraft, and then maintenance issue

I'm confused as to why the app is saying EC 261 comp is due, as everything I've read here suggests delays to final destination under 3 hours are not eligible. Have there been recent changes to the regulation? Is the app not reliable?

I received some very helpful responses when I posted about issues with the outbound flight, so I'm hoping that once again those with more knowledge / experience on this subject can enlighten me. I'd rather not look like an arse by writing UA to request EC 261 comp if not eligible.

TIA!
I don't know the app but do you think somehow it has confused your second leg as being on an EU carrier or within the EU.

My thinking would be in line with yours but there was one claim I made that UA paid me Euro 300 instead of Euro 600 as the time delay was shorter. Did not really follow the logic and just took the money.

You could always make a claim and see what they say - a couple of hundred euros is better than nothing.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I don't know the app but do you think somehow it has confused your second leg as being on an EU carrier or within the EU.
Curious, so I did a test: I first put in the entire itinerary, same result: still says eligible. Then entered just the FRA-EWR leg: eligible. Finally entered just the EWR-RIC leg: not eligible. So the app correctly recognized that the second leg was non-EU. It seems to think the TATL leg alone is eligible.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:10 pm

This is what my daughter got back from United, regarding her request (ATH-EWR, 2:52 late; EWR-LAX, next day, so ultimately 12 hours late).

I understand that the delay was, at best, very frustrating and truly regret you were disappointed. Please let me explain why cash compensation is not applicable under European Regulation EC261/2004. Since Greece is not a country that looks at a delay under 3 hours that caused you to miss your connection, compensation according to the EU Regulation does not apply.

Please know that our legal department carefully reviews each of these matters with our system and technical operations groups to ensure we are in full compliance with the appropriate legal standards. Although the cause of the irregularity was extraordinary and unable to be avoided, we did what we could to minimize it, and have nothing further to advise at this point.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:18 pm

It's a European Union regulation interpreted by the European Court of Justice. Saying that it doesn't apply in EU-member Greece is a pretty jerk move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.