Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
I had a delayed flight last week and sent a note to customer care the day of arrival with a screenshot from the UA app clearly showing the planned and actual departure times being more than 3 hours out (but less than 4). Received a reply 3 business days later saying they confirmed it was applicable to EU261 regulations for €300 but also offered either $450 in e-certs or 13,750 miles. Definitely took the cash and very happy with the quick response! They also said it would be up to 6 weeks for the check to be mailed.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:00 am

I was on canceled UA121 on Dec 10, 2017.

Flight was canceled and I just posted a claim for 600 Eur last night. UA has gotten back to me today offering one of the following

600 Eur via wire transfer
900 Travel Cert
27,500 MP miles

They are also covering my out of pocket expenses.

Which would you consider to be the best offer? I travel almost exclusively with united so the credit would be used within the first months of 2018.

They also offered me a CS gesture for the incident for which I took the 15,000 miles over the 300 USD Travel Cert.

Cheers.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think only you can decide what is worth the most to you. For me I would rather have the 600 euros.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I think only you can decide what is worth the most to you. For me I would rather have the 600 euros.
Cash imo is always the best solution as discounts are not tangible...
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
$900 is worth far more than 600E if you're going to spend that money anyways on UA metal flights in 2018. Consider also UA may issue you an IRS form as it's at the limit of claiming "income".

I got the identical offer (and $400 from customer care). Had no expenses to claim, as they covered a hotel and meals.

Last edited by aacharya; Dec 21, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pmlflyer
600 Eur via wire transfer
900 Travel Cert
27,500 MP miles
Surely the answer to that depends on how much travel you intend to put towards UA next year! In your case, take the $900 certificate.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus IK, IHG Platinum
UA 81 / UA 80 European Flight Compensation

This mornings flight February 18 From MAN to EWR was cancelled due to the flight from Newark last night not arriving.
Can anyone advise on whether this cancelled flight is eligible for compensation under European legislation .
The airline blames the cancellation of the incoming flight and this mornings flight on bad weather ..however I took a screen shot of the weather on a weather app and it appears to be cold but sunny nothing that appears to have prevented other flights arriving or departing
Does anyone have more information regarding this ?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:49 am

EWR had snow and pretty low visibilities (by EWR standards) last night beginning about 5pm and continuing until about midnight.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:13 am

Weather is not an excuse as far as European flight compensation is concerned. But you may have to put up quite a fight to get United to pay.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Weather is not an excuse as far as European flight compensation is concerned. But you may have to put up quite a fight to get United to pay.
Yeah, especially when it's weather somewhere else. This is a 600 euro comp under EU261 situation.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Weather is not an excuse as far as European flight compensation is concerned.
In general, air passengers are not entitled to compensation for bad weather conditions if the following types of bad weather occur:

[...]

Bad weather: If the weather is exceptionally bad, flights are often grounded or have to take off later. Extreme weather conditions like snow, storms, sleet and fog release the airlines from their obligation to pay compensation.

https://www.flightright.com/your-rights/bad-weather
With cancelled flights, you won’t receive compensation if:

the cancellation was due to extraordinary circumstances for example due to bad weather

https://thepointsguy.com/2014/02/how...layed-flights/
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
EWR was pretty nasty last night. Snow started coming down heavy right around 6pm.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:49 am

Weather is generally an acceptable excuse for the airline and they typically won't pay up. However, if it's not weather directly affecting the flight that was cancelled, but weather that has an impact on operational decisions which lead to the cancellation things get a bit murkier. It could be worth trying to file a claim via one of those specialized agencies in Europe.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Wayside
EWR had snow and pretty low visibilities (by EWR standards) last night beginning about 5pm and continuing until about midnight.
Originally Posted by clubord
EWR was pretty nasty last night. Snow started coming down heavy right around 6pm.
It snowed but temps were high and it didn't stick to the ground. This wouldn't have caused a blip at MSP, ORD, or DEN.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Weather is generally an acceptable excuse for the airline and they typically won't pay up. However, if it's not weather directly affecting the flight that was cancelled, but weather that has an impact on operational decisions which lead to the cancellation things get a bit murkier. It could be worth trying to file a claim via one of those specialized agencies in Europe.
Since the EWR flight is the only UA route to/from MAN, there will simply not be any aircraft available at MAN if the EWR-MAN flight is cancelled. UA can't make any operational decisions to make it possible to operate MAN-EWR, unless people expected them to ferry in an aircraft.
If the cancellation is caused by bad weather at EWR, that gives UA justification for not paying compensation.

Key bad weather judgments

However, since the EU Regulation does not provide a clear definition of “extraordinary circumstances”, there is still a lot of room for interpretation. In recent years, various claims have refined the term “extraordinary circumstances”.There have been a number of landmark judgements relating to bad weather that we have put together for you here:

No compensation

In general, air passengers are not entitled to compensation for bad weather conditions if the following types of bad weather occur:
- Ash cloud: This sort of natural catastrophe is described as a case of “force majeure". Air traffic is restricted and flight bans have to be imposed. The ash cloud impedes visibility for the pilots and ash particles can also affect the sensors in altitude and speed measuring devices.
- Bad weather: If the weather is exceptionally bad, flights are often grounded or have to take off later. Extreme weather conditions like snow, storms, sleet and fog release the airlines from their obligation to pay compensation.
- Thunderstorms: The District Court (Landgericht) of Darmstadt ruled that there is also no entitlement to compensation if a previous flight had to make an emergency landing due to a thunderstorm, meaning that the following flight was delayed or cancelled as a result.(District Court of Darmstadt, judgment of 6 November 2013 – 7 S 208/12)
- Headwind: Generally, air passengers are not entitled to compensation in cases of extreme headwind.
- Lightning strike: If the previous flight was hit by lightning, meaning that the next flight is delayed or cancelled, then passengers are in most cases not entitled to compensation.

https://www.flightright.com/your-rights/bad-weather

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.