Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CashN
2 hour net delay at final destination in LAX. 4 hour delay at Glasgow.

Major bummer sitting in coach on EWR - LAX on a $10k ticket.
I feel your pain, but EC261 won't apply to either the delay or the downgrade I'm afraid. The delay requires you to be at least four hours late to your final destination (for longhaul flights). The downgrade was on a segment entirely within the US on a non-community carrier, so again EC261 won't apply. I think you should take this up with UA but my gut says they'll tell you to pound sand.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CashN
Major bummer sitting in coach on EWR - LAX on a $10k ticket.
As WineCountryUA noted, you're entitled to refund of the fare differential and UA will likely give you some cs comp in the $300 range.

You always have the option of waiting for a flight with an open J seat.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by Kacee
As WineCountryUA noted, you're entitled to refund of the fare differential and UA will likely give you some cs comp in the $300 range.

You always have the option of waiting for a flight with an open J seat.
Update:

I missed the second connection in EWR. Had 2:30 min to get through customs and recheck golf bag and checked luggage. Took 45 min to get golf bag because elevator broke and slow TSA. Then it took 1:45 to check in bag and get through security. Decided to board the 8:15pm flight because F class was available, the 5:30 didn't have any F seats... ultimately got into LAX at 11:30 vs 5:30 planned.

All in all I was 4 hours delayed on outbound connection EWR to glasgow and missed tee time. Then 6 hour net delay on return. The biggest issue is that none of it was weather related, simply the 'awaiiting inbound, reason.

So much stress because the delay notification came at 1:00am in Hlasgow before my 5:30am pick up from Edinburgh. EDI had a flight, no f class but I couldn't get a hold of my colleague on the same flight with no status and limited flying experience.

I made it, tired and exhausted and I spent roughly 24 hours in airports yesterday. I hear the EU will provide compensation for the delay in Glasgow. I will try to pursue.

Not surprisingly I won't expect an auto email from united asking about my trip. Shockingly I only get them on ontime arrivals...

Last edited by CashN; Jul 30, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Your post is confusing. Where are you now? You are talking about the return so are you in Glasgow now? If your delay getting into LAX was six hours than you will receive compensation under EC261. This is paid by UA, not the EU. You can claim through their website. It has nothing to do with the late departure from GLA and everything to do with the late arrival at LAX.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Your post is confusing. Where are you now? You are talking about the return so are you in Glasgow now? If your delay getting into LAX was six hours than you will receive compensation under EC261. This is paid by UA, not the EU. You can claim through their website. It has nothing to do with the late departure from GLA and everything to do with the late arrival at LAX.
Not so sure about that. Sounds like there was a voluntary decision to wait for an F seat on the 8:15 p.m. rather than fly Y on the 5:30.

But I agree the posts are confusing.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
So an interesting one on the EU rules front. Traveling with infant in arms (3 months old). UA from ORD-BRU, then SAS from BRU-CPH. All booked as one reservation as ORD-BRU-CPH on UA 016 stock.

Get to BRU, get on the SAS flight, sat down in my assigned and ticketed seat - FA comes over and says they don't have the infant listed on the manifest or the ticket, and they won't let us fly. Removed me, the infant (and the Significant other) from the flight. We had to scramble in BRU to first check with SAS, and then United (which is no easy task with a little one, who is now getting cranky)- Finger pointing on every front. SAS blames UA, UA says SAS has all the info - on and on and on, but eventually get rebooked by SAS on the flight to CPH - 7 hours later.

Since I booked the ticket, and confirmed with UA on the infant, and they knew it was in fact infant in arms, as I was able to board and fly ORD-BRU, this was not likely my fault (other than I suspect now I will check every aspect of every ticket moving forward). Should I push it with UA, SAS or both for denied boarding under the EU rules???

Is this even a case of EU compensation due?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:59 am
Suspended

My guess would be denied boarding by SAS.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So I have never really focused on this issue very much, but have had my fair share of delayed and cancelled flights with United over the years, of which quite a number are from Europe (and significantly more going to Europe but know these flights do not qualify for EU261). I got to thinking due to a LOT flight that was delayed and resulted in them needing to overnight me and LOT explained to me the time is based on when I reach my ultimate destination not the delay of the original flight and thus my claim should be for the highest amount since the next flight was not until the next day.

In January, UA delayed the flight leaving FRA (to SFO) due to mechanical. Due to the delay they moved me to the next SFO-SAN flight, even though I was there for the original flight. Does the delay in arriving in SAN more than three hours after the original arrival time qualify for EU261 since it was all one reservation from Europe?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:08 pm

Wrote into customer care with the following last month:

I believe I am due compensation under EU 261 for a delay of over three hours in reaching my final destination (ORD) from VCE on 2017-07-06. UA169 was delayed due to mechanical problems, resulting in a 3.5 hour delay in reaching my final destination (9:43PM actual vs 6:10PM scheduled). I believe I am due 300 euro compensation under EU 261 for a flight out of the EU of more than 3,500 km that led to me arriving at my destination more than 3 hours but less than 4 hours after I was scheduled to arrive.
Just got the following response (nearly a month later):

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced when your recent flight from Venice was delayed and you missed your connecting flight.

Prior to departure, an unexpected safety shortcoming beyond our control impacted the operation of the aircraft originally scheduled for your flight. I regret it took so long to resolve the issue and get you on your way. Although schedule reliability is a primary goal, we know you understand that the safety of our passengers and crew is our first priority.

Although cash compensation under Regulation EC261/2004 is not applicable in this case, we certainly recognize that your travel plans were adversely affected. In appreciation for your patience during this extraordinary delay, I have requested an additional deposit of bonus miles to your MileagePlus account. Please allow up to 3 days for processing.

We appreciate your business and loyalty as a Premier Gold MileagePlus member and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United flight.
They've deposited 3,500 miles.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by segiddins
Wrote into customer care with the following last month:

Just got the following response (nearly a month later):

So I am guessing based on the response it is only the delay in arrival from Europe to the USA, and not the final destination in the USA.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So I am guessing based on the response it is only the delay in arrival from Europe to the USA, and not the final destination in the USA.
It's my understanding that its the delay to the _final_ destination that matters for EU261, not the delay on the first flight if a connecting itinerary.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:42 pm

It's my understanding that its the delay to the _final_ destination that matters for EU261, not the delay on the first flight if a connecting itinerary.
Thank you. So I think then I have a claim as it was more than six hours later. I originally wrote in but it was about the fact they had given my first class seat away on the SFO-SAN leg, sat me in a coach seat and then removed me from the plane and I had to wait for the next flight. I wrote in to enquire what happened and they said they would investigate and gave me an ETC for $200.

However, I think I was actually entitled to Euro 600 and they did not mention this to me.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
They will never mention EU261 to you. The delay is based on your original scheduled arrival time at your final destination.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:37 pm

Prior to departure, an unexpected safety shortcoming beyond our control impacted the operation of the aircraft originally scheduled for your flight.
That nonsense was expressly rejected in Sturgeon v. Condor. I'd right back, citing Sturgeon, and politely demand they pony up.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
That nonsense was expressly rejected in Sturgeon v. Condor. I'd right back, citing Sturgeon, and politely demand they pony up.
As an aside, I would really like to heartily thank Kacee and all the other knowledgeable folks on this thread. You have probably saved people here many thousands of dollars. My own parents recently had a 4+ hour delay and were offered a lame 5K mile gesture. But thanks to the tidbits from this thread they ended up with a check for $680 each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.