Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lore
They won't know who wins so it should be sort of easy.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Can you please clarify?
thanks
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, TK Elite, GE
No worries if you accept the $400; it doesn't affect your claim.

But: United will answer you after several weeks that the EU261 isn't applicable. It doesn't matter what happened, EU261 is never applicable for them

Either you sue them or you fill a complaint here: http://www.ilent.nl/english/aviation/denied_boarding

Good luck.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by unblack
No worries if you accept the $400; it doesn't affect your claim.
My concern is that if I accept the $400 e-cert, then that might be considered financial compensation. For example, the NL complaint form has an item in which we are supposed to address whether we received financial compensation from the airline with a space to fill in the amount received in €:
http://www.ilent.nl/Images/ILT%2E155...334-328808.pdf

On the other hand, if I accept the miles, it seems harder to argue that that would constitute financial compensation. personally, I'd prefer the e-cert. hmm...
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
What I have done is file my complaint asking for EC261 compensation. They responded with $350 in e-certs (for each in my party). I said that wasn't acceptable. They offered another smaller set of e-certs. I again said thanks, but that's not acceptable. They sent me the smaller set of e-certs anyway and told me they were done corresponding with me. I then filed a complaint with the appropriate country's equivalent of the DoT.

I haven't decided yet to try to use the e-certs as they have Ts & Cs which say that accepting them absolves them of any other liability. Everything I've written says I don't accept them; I don't bother writing to tell them that when they've told me, as a 1KMM, effectively to FOAD.

P.S. Anybody know if I sue them for EC261 whether they'd terminate my MP account? While my EC261 claim is significant, the miles presently in my account are worth quite a bit more by most reasonable calculations.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 16, 2013 at 4:37 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmr12

P.S. Anybody know if I sue them for EC261 whether they'd terminate my MP account? While my EC261 claim is significant, the miles presently in my account are worth quite a bit more by most reasonable calculations.
Doubtful, although you never know. There are a number of steps before getting to a lawsuit though. First you need to hear back from the transport authority in the country you were departing from about your complaint. I find it hard to be believe that UA would ignore their judgement in the matter.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, TK Elite, GE
Originally Posted by beethovengirl
On the other hand, if I accept the miles, it seems harder to argue that that would constitute financial compensation. personally, I'd prefer the e-cert. hmm...
As I wrote, it doesn't affect your claim for 600 EUR if you take the e-cert.

If UA is forced by whomsoever to pay the compensation, they'll deduct the e-cert value from the 600 EUR.

Originally Posted by bmr12
If they would do that, I would probably start the biggest storm ever.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 16, 2013 at 11:59 am Reason: language
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by unblack
If UA is forced by whomsoever to pay the compensation, they'll deduct the e-cert value from the 600 EUR.
Hmmm. That would make me unhappy. An e-cert isn't nearly as valuable as cash. First, it is obviously UA only, and second, it perishes if I buy a ticket and then cancel, leaving me with nothing. Cash doesn't have these limitations.

Last edited by bmr12; Aug 17, 2013 at 8:52 am
Old Aug 17, 2013, 4:56 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by beethovengirl
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Can you please clarify?
thanks
The people issuing the goodwill offer won't have anything to do with the people who are responsible for responding to the claim.

The goodwill and the EU 261 claim are mutually exclusive in my eyes... and since the process usually takes quite a while, you can probably use up the e-cert before the decision is hnaded down.

When I filed a EU 261 claim against US Airways in 2008, between all the back and forth, it took over 9 months. But I won at the end...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:08 pm

Best address at United to send EU261 claim?

Hi there,
As predicted, United Customer Care gave me an excuse when I asked for EU261 compensation: "As United is a US flagship carrier and not an EU Community carrier, and the delayed flight originated in the United States and not in an EU signatory state, European Regulation EU261 is not applicable."

So now I'm going to fill out the EU261 form, which I found here:
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes...nt_form_en.pdf
and send it to United with a six-week deadline for response, and then send it to the relevant national enforcement body.

My question is, what is the best address at United to use? Not Customer Care, I suppose.
Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ouroquest
So now I'm going to fill out the EU261 form, which I found here:
and send it to United with a six-week deadline for response, and then send it to the relevant national enforcement body.
Can you clarify which flight you're asking for the EU compensation for? I know in your original post there were at least three different carriers involved. Which "national enforcement body" could be dependent on where the flight in question originated and whether it's an EU based carrier or providing service on a route originating in the EU.

We were booked IAD-YYR-FCO (United Express, then a United codeshare with Air Canada). The first flight was delayed so much that we would miss our connection, so went to the reservations desk in the terminal to get rebooked. First the agent booked us through London for the wrong date! After we came back and pointed out the error, she supposedly rebooked us on British Airways from LHR-FCO, and promised that our luggage would get pulled off the Toronto flight and go with us.

When we got to London, BA had no confirmed reservation for us, and we had to wait around all day trying to go standby. 2 of the 4 of us got on, but the other 2 (me and my 5-year-old daughter) were stuck in Heathrow all day. Finally United put us up for the night and we got out first thing the next morning. But the rest of my family had to wait for us in Rome overnight. Our luggage went to Toronto without us and we didn't get it for four days. (It only got moving toward us after we posted something on United's FB page.) AND when I called to reconfirm our flight home, it had all been canceled! They did rebook us on a direct flight, in Economy Plus, and acted like they were doing us a huge favor.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:58 pm

Best address at United to send EU261 claim?

Originally Posted by tom911
Can you clarify which flight you're asking for the EU compensation for? I know in your original post there were at least three different carriers involved. Which "national enforcement body" could be dependent on where the flight in question originated and whether it's an EU based carrier or providing service on a route originating in the EU.
I'm asking United for compensation because of our delay in arrival time caused by its agent's error in rebooking us without confirming the reservation. Two of us arrived at our final destination four hours late, and the other two 24 hours late.

The national enforcement body would be Italy, according to the form: "If the incident took place at an airport of departure outside the EU, you may contact the national enforcement body in the Member State of flight destination."

The only line that worries me is this: "Regulation 261/2004 applies to all flights operated by any airline from any EU airport and flights to an EU airport operated by any EU airline." So if United is not considered an "EU airline," it might be off the hook.

Still, I think it's worth a try, for $3,200. It took me less than half an hour to fill out the form and write a cover letter.

If anyone has the correct address at United, please let me know.
Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:13 pm

The only line that worries me is this: "Regulation 261/2004 applies to all flights operated by any airline from any EU airport and flights to an EU airport operated by any EU airline." So if United is not considered an "EU airline," it might be off the hook.
Still not clear what the flight was that you want compensation for and the details are important. You're going to have to specify a specific flight and carrier for an EU complaint and demand EU compensation from that airline.

Is it London to Rome on BA and you want UA to compensate you for it? You mentioned filing the complaint in Italy. Is it a UA flight from Italy to the U.S.?

If it's a UA flight departing from the U.S., EU compensation does not apply. You would be eligible for compensation if it was a UA flight departing the EU.

If you want to complain to a USA regulatory body, that would be DOT.
http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint

Travel writer Chris Elliott maintains UA contact information here:
http://elliott.org/contacts/united-airlines/

EU complaint form:
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm asking United for compensation because of our delay in arrival time caused by its agent's error in rebooking us without confirming the reservation. Two of us arrived at our final destination four hours late, and the other two 24 hours late.

The national enforcement body would be Italy, according to the form: "If the incident took place at an airport of departure outside the EU, you may contact the national enforcement body in the Member State of flight destination."

United is not an EU airline.
Your flight did not depart an EU airport.
EC 261/2004 does not apply.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Your flight did not depart an EU airport.
Why do you think he wants to file a complaint with the EU in Italy, then?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tom911
Why do you think he wants to file a complaint with the EU in Italy, then?
Because Rome was the destination airport? But (assuming I'm reading rules correctly) that only applies if he's complaining about an EU airline. Which he is not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.