Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2023, 2:20 pm

Looks like the customer care form has been updated on united.com/customercare and allows you to directly request passenger rights compensation as a category now. Also seems to specifically spell put the 1000ETC/50,000 mile option as an alternative to the regulatory amount.
SPN Lifer, RobOnLI and wpcoe like this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:54 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Looks like the customer care form has been updated on united.com/customercare and allows you to directly request passenger rights compensation as a category now. Also seems to specifically spell put the 1000ETC/50,000 mile option as an alternative to the regulatory amount.
Just submitted claim, didn't see that. We'll see how it goes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Just submitted claim, didn't see that. We'll see how it goes.

Same message shows for Canada & Spain (surprised they don't link directly to the AESA form they ask to be filled out here under Europe; https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...rnational.html). Which looking at that page, apparently an email also exists [email protected] for anyone else wanting another avenue to try submitting their EU261 claims.

SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Jun 5, 2023 at 11:50 am
Old Jun 5, 2023, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Any idea why Spain is listed separately from "Europe/United Kingdom"? Do they have different EU261 rules? As an EU member wouldn't they be bound by EU law which is EU261/2004?

-RM
Old Jun 5, 2023, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Any idea why Spain is listed separately from "Europe/United Kingdom"? Do they have different EU261 rules? As an EU member wouldn't they be bound by EU law which is EU261/2004?
EC261/2004 has to be implemented by each countries regulator, and in Spain they set up an ADRP.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Same message shows for Canada & Spain (surprised they don't link directly to the AESA form they ask to be filled out here under Europe; https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...rnational.html). Which looking at that page, apparently an email also exists [email protected] for anyone else wanting another avenue to try submitting their EU261 claims.

Thanks! If I don't hear back by tomorrow, I'll try this way.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
If United gets you to an alternate airport (not co-terminal) but within 2 hours of original scheduled arrival does that qualify for EU261? I know it’s a bit complex since EU261 is void if they get you to the final destination within 2 hrs of the original scheduled time but not alternate airport.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 6:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by xfisgsm
If United gets you to an alternate airport (not co-terminal) but within 2 hours of original scheduled arrival does that qualify for EU261? I know it’s a bit complex since EU261 is void if they get you to the final destination within 2 hrs of the original scheduled time but not alternate airport.
Are you voluntarily agreeing to a change in destination?

Probably does not matter, but what are the two airports?
Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are you voluntarily agreeing to a change in destination?

Probably does not matter, but what are the two airports?
It was the first flight that got in (what they offered). GRR vs FNT
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:05 am
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was booked on the following earlier this week:

UA22 DUB-EWR
UA2147 EWR-DEN
UA4780 DEN-YEG

UA22 was delayed initially due to a late arriving inbound aircraft by about 40minutes. After boarding 3 mechanical issues were identified and following about 3hrs of rolling delays the flight was ultimately cancelled.

I called United and was rebooked on another UA flight to EWR leaving 45min later but due to airport staff forcing us to reclear customs I like many others did not make the flight.

When it became clear that I would not make the later UA to EWR I called United again and spoke about other options. After being told they could not interline to KL I was rebooked on the following (which I believed would get me home the fastest way possible):

EI356 DUB-MUC
OVERNIGHT LAYOVER
LH476 MUC-YVR
AC248 YVR-YEG

I arrived just under 24hrs after my scheduled arrival time into YEG. My understanding is that EU261 applies in this case. However I am curious, does Canadian rule also apply? If so I should claim the larger amount of the two, correct? 1000CAD is more than 600EUR so I’d rather the CAD if possible.

Additionally, will I have any chance getting reasonable costs I incurred such as hotels, food, and Ubers in Munich refunded or is this expected to be included in the 600EUR/1000CAD per person?

Thanks for any help—it’s been a fun week…
Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doc4science
I arrived just under 24hrs after my scheduled arrival time into YEG. My understanding is that EU261 applies in this case. However I am curious, does Canadian rule also apply? If so I should claim the larger amount of the two, correct? 1000CAD is more than 600EUR so I’d rather the CAD if possible.
I wonder what UA’s alternative offer will be. If you fly UA frequently enough to make use of it, they consistently offer a USD1000 travel credit in lieu of the EUR600 cash. I wonder if they’re just going to offer that same USD1000 for the Canadian rule, or if they’d bump it up a bit.

Originally Posted by doc4science
Additionally, will I have any chance getting reasonable costs I incurred such as hotels, food, and Ubers in Munich refunded or is this expected to be included in the 600EUR/1000CAD per person?
Direct costs due to the delay are reimbursable separately with receipts — hotel, food, ground transportation. That’s on top of the damages paid.
SPN Lifer and wxguy like this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 2:03 pm

I'm looking for some advice since UA has not responded to my request regarding this delay:

I was originally booked on this set of flights (both in JN class) on May 19. My flights were cancelled due to a strike that ended being called off:
UA169 VCE-EWR
UA1705 EWR-MIA

I was notified the night before that my flights were cancelled and I accepted a new set of flights (Business class on LH):
LH333 VCE-FRA
LH462 FRA-MIA

This second set of flights was then cancelled just a few hours later and I accepted a third set of flights that I actually flew on:
EW2431 VCE-STR (economy class)
LX1165 STR-ZRH (business)
LX64 ZRH-MIA (business)

The end result was that I departed ~2.5 hours earlier than my original set of flights and ended up at MIA ~2 hours earlier. Due to the short notice and the time changes of the flights, I think I should be able to get compensation due to EC261? But do I file this with UA or LH (or both)? Also I should note this was an award redemption so I'm not sure how to file for the downgrade on the VCE-STR leg.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tzhou
I'm looking for some advice since UA has not responded to my request regarding this delay:

I was originally booked on this set of flights (both in JN class) on May 19. My flights were cancelled due to a strike that ended being called off:
UA169 VCE-EWR
UA1705 EWR-MIA

I was notified the night before that my flights were cancelled and I accepted a new set of flights (Business class on LH):
LH333 VCE-FRA
LH462 FRA-MIA

This second set of flights was then cancelled just a few hours later and I accepted a third set of flights that I actually flew on:
EW2431 VCE-STR (economy class)
LX1165 STR-ZRH (business)
LX64 ZRH-MIA (business)

The end result was that I departed ~2.5 hours earlier than my original set of flights and ended up at MIA ~2 hours earlier. Due to the short notice and the time changes of the flights, I think I should be able to get compensation due to EC261? But do I file this with UA or LH (or both)? Also I should note this was an award redemption so I'm not sure how to file for the downgrade on the VCE-STR leg.
A strike (unless airline staff was on strike) means there is no compensation due. A 2 hour earlier arrival would not qualify for EC reg 261 in any circumstance. If you write to UA they may throw you a small token in form of MP miles for the short VCE-STR flight in Y.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
A strike (unless airline staff was on strike) means there is no compensation due. A 2 hour earlier arrival would not qualify for EC reg 261 in any circumstance. If you write to UA they may throw you a small token in form of MP miles for the short VCE-STR flight in Y.
My understanding is that if the departure time of the flight moves forward 1 hour or more, compensation under EC 261 applies as if the flight was delayed.

Pic of the PDF for source (since I can't post links yet)
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.