Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2023, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
if you accept the United Cares offer, there is language in there that explicitly waives future claims agains the airline. I can't tell you whether that's enforceable, though.
It wouldn’t be. EC.261 permits airlines to offer alternative compensation — UA normally offers a $1000 voucher instead of the €600 cash — but specifically states that the airline has a duty to inform the passenger of their rights and that all options have to be presented. No court would believe that the passenger accepted a $250 voucher in lieu of €600.

But, again, it’s simple enough just to request the EC.261 comp first and then go back to United Cares.
Old May 25, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Thanks,

Yes, there is no way I’m touching the United Cares offer until after I receive the EU261 compensation.

What’s the best way to claim the EU261 compensation? Email Customer Service or is there a webform?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Thanks,

Yes, there is no way I’m touching the United Cares offer until after I receive the EU261 compensation.

What’s the best way to claim the EU261 compensation? Email Customer Service or is there a webform?
Emailing CS will work. Expect up to 1 month to hear back
SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 6:43 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
New to the EC 261 world so want to make sure I understand...

Ticketed UA MAD-IAD-CLE (total journey ~6600km per great circle map). All same ticket, all UA metal.

IAD-CLE took a maintenance delay/AC swap that is currently posting a 3:02 late departure and an almost 3 hour late arrival (since we're at :15 past the departure time now and they're still loading bags I'd be a bit shocked if reality isn't a bit north of 3 hours arrival)

Since the flight with the delay occurs entirely outside of the EU put part of a trip beginning in the EU...does this matter (foggy from wikipedia and skimming the thread)?

if that is not a "do not pass go" answer, I'm getting conflicting interpretations... In some cases (including europa.eu) there's an unconditional "if the delay exceeds 3 hours you're entitled to compensation"; from what I've gathered elsewhere, based on the total trip distance the delay would have to exceed 4 hours for EC261 to kick in.

So end of the day question: Any reason to/not to pursue an EC261 claim assuming we do finally clock in at 3+ hours?
Old May 26, 2023, 7:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
....So end of the day question: Any reason to/not to pursue an EC261 claim assuming we do finally clock in at 3+ hours?
As a read of recent posts will cover, UA is not enthralled about EC261 compensation due to purely a domestic flight. The EU courts have extended EC261 to cover connecting non-EU flights but UA and other domestic carriers are feel otherwise. Do not expect this is be an easy route.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 2:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
My flight from MAD-EWR (5/28) was cancelled due to a technical issue. I was rebooked on a United flight the following day (5/29) which did not work for me, so ended up taking a Lufthansa flight instead (on 5/28). I was put in Business Class so am guessing there is no further reimbursement, but would like to verify. Is any further reimbursement warranted for a 1K? Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2023 at 3:59 pm Reason: Moved to the EC261 thread
Old May 28, 2023, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mindrisa
My flight from MAD-EWR (5/28) was cancelled due to a technical issue. I was rebooked on a United flight the following day (5/29) which did not work for me, so ended up taking a Lufthansa flight instead (on 5/28). I was put in Business Class so am guessing there is no further reimbursement, but would like to verify. Is any further reimbursement warranted for a 1K? Thanks!
How delayed were you in arriving from your original time? EU261 may come into play if you were significantly delayed.
Lots of details in the wiki of {this} thread.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2023 at 3:59 pm Reason: cleanup after move; thanks for the link
Old May 28, 2023, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Besides the potential EC 261 and potential inconvenience comp (that is separate), you may want to wait and see how this posts for PQPs. If it was going to be more as a UA flight or you want Lifetime miles, you can request ORC
Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)
Old May 28, 2023, 4:50 pm

Thank you both for the info. I was originally scheduled to arrive at EWR on United at 1:25pm but arrived via Lufthansa at 3:45pm. If we had stayed on the United flight we were rebooked on, it would have been more than 24 hours later.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:16 pm

Thank you both for the info. I was originally scheduled to arrive at EWR on United at 1:25pm but arrived via Lufthansa at 3:45pm. If we had stayed on the United flight we were rebooked on, it would have been more than 24 hours later.
For 2:20 delay, no EC261 and generally no additional UA compensation for a delay. But ORC is still an option.
SPN Lifer and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:20 pm

Thank you WineCountryUA. How would it work for my husband? Same flights and also 1K. Booked in E+ on United due to status but Economy on Lufthansa. Had to pay at airport to upgrade to Premium Economy for the extra legroom. Is that reimbursable?
Old May 28, 2023, 7:32 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Thank you WineCountryUA. How would it work for my husband? Same flights and also 1K. Booked in E+ on United due to status but Economy on Lufthansa. Had to pay at airport to upgrade to Premium Economy for the extra legroom. Is that reimbursable?
Likely an up hill battle because that's a higher class of service, i.e. E+ =/= PE, it's just economy with seats slightly further apart. Had he been booked in Premium Plus (UA's premium economy product) this would be more likely -- and more likely to have wound up there "automatically".. you could ask but not get hopes up.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Likely an up hill battle because that's a higher class of service, i.e. E+ =/= PE, it's just economy with seats slightly further apart. Had he been booked in Premium Plus (UA's premium economy product) this would be more likely -- and more likely to have wound up there "automatically".. you could ask but not get hopes up.
I would send 1k voice an email briefly advising circumstances and the amount paid to get into a seat with better leg room as United's mechanical forced a rebooking onto LH without any E+ options.

Very unlikely you will get cash back, but likely to receive an offer of either United Miles or United Travel credit.
Old May 29, 2023, 6:45 am

Thank you goodeats21. I will definitely do that as I would be happy with a travel credit.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Thanks,

Originally Posted by cfischer
Emailing CS will work. Expect up to 1 month to hear back
Just an update. It only took CS a week to get back to me, they gave me two options as alternatives to the EC261 600 euros cash. A $1000 ETC or 50000 miles. I'm taking the ETC. Thanks everyone.

Edit: An update to the update. After i received the $1000 ETC I went back to the United Cares email I got that offered me a $250 ETC, and claimed that too, so I have both ETCs
rmc1, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 2 others like this.

Last edited by swiftaw; Jun 1, 2023 at 1:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.