Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by smartytravel
It doesn't seem like the flight was directly impacted, but rather an incoming flight.
Yes, and per the UK regulator's guidance, this would thus not be eligible, as it's a 1st order knock on effect.

I'd file with Sky Cops or a similar company to get your compensation.
Little harm in trying!
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:33 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Pleasantly surprised JAN2024

Originated DUB, at EWR mechanical caused misconnect in IAH, resulted in arriving at final destination ~4 hours later than originally scheduled. Only one prior instance of seeking EU261 compensation from UA several years ago (LHR delay caused misconnect and overnight stay at IAD) which was only resolved when using a third party agent who took it to court for a contingency. Thought I'd give it a shot anyway and lo and behold, after submitting request replete with PNR, ticket#, original schedule, times actually flown and pax names within a week or so had email from CS asking for address to which checks should be sent. Checks actually arrives about a week later. Huzzah!
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sheela Jaya
I'm starting in India. I was supposed to go through frankfurt on luftansa/across the Atlantic but now going through the Pacific route with SQ and UA Polaris to SFO. It's two stops to MSP in either direction and the time is also almost the same given different layover times in both routes.

Thanks for all the insights. I'm going to take my chances with SQ/UA and hope I'm not unlucky twice.
Since my itinerary starts in India and ends in the US but on an EU carrier (Lufthansa before I was rerouted through SQ), would I be entitled to compensation under EU 261?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since my itinerary starts in India and ends in the US but on an EU carrier (Lufthansa before I was rerouted through SQ), would I be entitled to compensation under EU 261?
Potentially, although some strikes are treated as uncontrollable events and therefore don’t result in compensation, and the fact that you’re contemplating HCT could make it more complicated too, as the compensation is based upon your delay to MIA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2024 at 10:32 am Reason: split post
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:20 pm

I was delayed recently from Africa to US, so I looked into this. My reading of the rulings on EU261 is that transits through EU don't count unfortunately, has to start/end in EU.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edelweiss
I was delayed recently from Africa to US, so I looked into this. My reading of the rulings on EU261 is that transits through EU don't count unfortunately, has to start/end in EU.
Maybe on a non-EC carrier. LH flights are covered worldwide.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
That is correct. EC reg 261 (or UK reg 261) applies only when flying to or from (but not via) EU/UK/CH
SPN Lifer and edelweiss like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
That is correct. EC reg 261 (or UK reg 261) applies only when flying to or from (but not via) EU/UK/CH
How do you figure? Here’s the text:

1. This Regulation shall apply:
(a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;
(b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies, unless they received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country, if the operating air carrier of the flight concerned is a Community carrier.
Heaven knows, I’m the biggest skeptic of EC.261 you’ll find, but I don’t see how you can say that transit passengers are neither (a) nor (b).
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
How do you figure? Here’s the text:

Heaven knows, I’m the biggest skeptic of EC.261 you’ll find, but I don’t see how you can say that transit passengers are neither (a) nor (b).
Here's the ruling on a similar case to mine and the poster I responded to:
https://www.lexology.com/library/det...b-93449f1d391f

According to the Court, a flight with one or more connections which is the subject of a single reservation constitutes a whole for the purposes of the right of passengers to compensation provided for in Regulation No 261/2004, and as such its applicability is to be assessed with regard to the place of a flight’s initial departure and the place of its final destination. Therefore, Article 3(1) of Regulation no. 261/2004 cannot be interpreted as meaning that a passenger on a connecting flight, whose initial place of departure and final destination are located in third countries, may avail himself of the provisions of that regulation only because one or more stops of that flight’s segments are located in the territory of the Union.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the ruling on a similar case to mine and the poster I responded to:
Fair enough. I agree with your assessment. That is a wholly illogical reading of the law, consistent with some of the other wholly illogical readings of the law, so I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that the ECJ finally found some case where airlines are immune, but it’s asinine that it’s this particular case. But, I guess you’re right — LH is off the hook and OP is not entitled to relief under EC.261.

That said, I’d probably try asking anyway, but if LH says no, I agree that precedent is on their side.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Fair enough. I agree with your assessment. That is a wholly illogical reading of the law, consistent with some of the other wholly illogical readings of the law, so I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that the ECJ finally found some case where airlines are immune, but it’s asinine that it’s this particular case. But, I guess you’re right — LH is off the hook and OP is not entitled to relief under EC.261.

That said, I’d probably try asking anyway, but if LH says no, I agree that precedent is on their side.
While I was bummed that I was ineligible because I was delayed by almost a whole day, I found it to be reasonable in context of other rulings where the "whole" means that a delayed "non-EU" segment (that's part of a start/end in EU trip) makes the whole itinerary eligible. Prior to that, I think airlines were rejecting claims when they could blame the delay on the "non-EU" segment.
Sure, you could get lucky and get a less-informed agent approve the claim
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.