Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

Old Apr 9, 17, 12:25 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR-G, HH-S, IHG, ALL. TT-GE.
How can it be "crew rest" when the incoming is 3 hours late but the outbound is 7 hours late? Crew, unlike the aircraft, do not turn around immediately.
Old Apr 9, 17, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by HkCaGu View Post
How can it be "crew rest" when the incoming is 3 hours late but the outbound is 7 hours late? Crew, unlike the aircraft, do not turn around immediately.
Crew members need a defined amount f uninterrupted rest prior to flight. If (for example - I don't know the exact rules) the 9:40am scheduled departure time means a 7:40am morning pickup/call and they need 8 hours of uninterrupted rest, the company can not contact them after 11:40pm the night before. This includes contacting them to tell them the incoming aircraft will be 3 hours late. If the company contacts them during the rest period the rest clock resets.

If the sick passenger requiring a diversion to the outbound causes a problem that will severely delay the flight UA is in a bind. If it does not call the crew to tell them of a delay the crew has a chance of timing out as (in this example) it can only be ready to work or at work for a certain number of hours and its day starts with the scheduled departure time of 7:40am.

So, airlines often call crews in the middle of the night, resetting the rest clock, in these cases. A few hours of delay posted hours in advance is a whole lot better than having to cancel completely at the last minute.
Old Apr 18, 17, 5:40 pm

United denies EC 261 Claim

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Crew members need a defined amount f uninterrupted rest prior to flight. If (for example - I don't know the exact rules) the 9:40am scheduled departure time means a 7:40am morning pickup/call and they need 8 hours of uninterrupted rest, the company can not contact them after 11:40pm the night before. This includes contacting them to tell them the incoming aircraft will be 3 hours late. If the company contacts them during the rest period the rest clock resets.

If the sick passenger requiring a diversion to the outbound causes a problem that will severely delay the flight UA is in a bind. If it does not call the crew to tell them of a delay the crew has a chance of timing out as (in this example) it can only be ready to work or at work for a certain number of hours and its day starts with the scheduled departure time of 7:40am.

So, airlines often call crews in the middle of the night, resetting the rest clock, in these cases. A few hours of delay posted hours in advance is a whole lot better than having to cancel completely at the last minute.
While I think the above post is the most accurate explanation of what happened, United has, without any documentation, determined that they've completed a review of the request for delay compensation and UA 963 departing TXL on 5 April, merited exemption from EC 261 owing to "unexpected safety shortcoming" also documented in their own records as "crew rest." United considers the matter closed.

I will continue to pursue compensation per 261 as crew rest does not seem to me to qualify as "unexpected safety shortcoming" for which the carrier took all reasonable steps to avoid.

I appreciate and welcome the feedback as I begin this process. I will pursue a claim for 1200 in Small Claims Procedure and with the German National Enforcement Body. Thanks FT!
Old May 11, 17, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Wondering if anyone has any good ideas here, but guessing there's not much to be done...

Experienced an EU 261-worthy cancellation over two months ago. Wrote MP and had what I thought was a very efficient and productive exchange, ending with them confirming that a check would be mailed to my address. As the weeks went by, I kept checking in and they confirmed that the check was mailed but could take a while to arrive. Eventually, they acknowledged that something was amiss, they would investigate and get back to me.

Now UA has stopped responding to my emails. I filed both DOT and European Commission complaints, for what that's worth. Do I have any other recourse here, short of legal action? Are there any other good contacts to try at UA, perhaps phone instead of email?

I'm in this weird limbo where UA has acknowledged that EU 261 comp is due and told me a check in the correct amount would be remitted, but I can't seem to get it.
Old May 11, 17, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WingnutSYD View Post
Wondering if anyone has any good ideas here, but guessing there's not much to be done...

Experienced an EU 261-worthy cancellation over two months ago. Wrote MP and had what I thought was a very efficient and productive exchange, ending with them confirming that a check would be mailed to my address. As the weeks went by, I kept checking in and they confirmed that the check was mailed but could take a while to arrive. Eventually, they acknowledged that something was amiss, they would investigate and get back to me.

Now UA has stopped responding to my emails. I filed both DOT and European Commission complaints, for what that's worth. Do I have any other recourse here, short of legal action? Are there any other good contacts to try at UA, perhaps phone instead of email?

I'm in this weird limbo where UA has acknowledged that EU 261 comp is due and told me a check in the correct amount would be remitted, but I can't seem to get it.
So what's the story?
Old May 11, 17, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA GS Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by WingnutSYD View Post

Maybe reach out via social media - Twitter or Facebook? UA has been responsive to that because someone's assigned to monitor it.
Old May 11, 17, 4:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
DOT will not enforce EU261 and reason supplied seems to fit circumstances.

Issue is how will EU261 treat this set of circumstances -- so while not pretending to be an EU261 expert but this does sort of make sense
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Didn't say they would but it will force UA to respond
I don't remember the exact response from my own personal experience, but IIRC DOT just punted the letter and it was a waste of paper and ink, since it was out of their jurisdiction.
Old May 12, 17, 4:47 pm

Programs: United 1K & 0.9MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
I was also on this one. Where's my 600 Euros?

Originally Posted by worldtrav View Post
UA935 May 6 LHR-LAX 22 hour delay.
I sent a couple queries via united.com/customercare about how I am to get my 600 euros for the delay to this flight. That was six days ago and no response.

I think I will hire an inexpensive attorney in an EU country where United doesn't have an office (need to check but maybe Slovenia) and file a lawsuit against them.
Old May 12, 17, 6:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GaryWatson View Post
I sent a couple queries via united.com/customercare about how I am to get my 600 euros for the delay to this flight. That was six days ago and no response. ...
Iy usually take more than one try and more than six days.
Might suggest giving it bit more.

I think I will hire an inexpensive attorney in an EU country where United doesn't have an office (need to check but maybe Slovenia) and file a lawsuit against them.
Does not the legal action need to be filed in the country of delayed departure?
Old May 12, 17, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I sent a couple queries via united.com/customercare about how I am to get my 600 euros for the delay to this flight. That was six days ago and no response.

That would be silly and counterproductive. Just file MCOL in the UK.
Old May 12, 17, 9:49 pm

Don't bother with that. just download the AirHelp app and file your claim there. they take a cut, but it's much cheaper than a lawyer and it works. I've had success with them.
Old May 13, 17, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Delayed on day of travel - Are we entitled to compensation

Good morning all, I hope this is an OK location for this post!

I awoke this morning to find that my Lufthansa flight (A codeshare with United Airlines, LH7623/UA879) to Houston Tx at 9:30 has been delayed until 13:00. This is a 3 and a half hour delay, and apparently as a result of 'awaiting aircraft', not any other issues.

Having never had to deal with a delay like this before, I wasn't sure what we were entitled to - I believe under EU law there might be some compensation for the flight delay, but also perhaps some food vouchers etc in the airport? We're in the taxi to the airport now so wanted to check.

I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks
Old May 13, 17, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
You found out before you got to the airport?
Old May 13, 17, 1:29 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Seems the inbound flight UA880 was diverted to YHZ.
Old May 13, 17, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Yes, they have sent us a text at ~2am to say 'your flight was delayed to 11' and then another text at 5:40 to say 'your flight was delayed to 1'.

Of course we are already awake and the taxi is booked at this point so!

Search this Thread