Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by J S
I agree that the claim rate on EU 261 must be extremely low. With 203 on board (and the flight was full), that would have been 121,800 euros. If UA really believed that they would be paying out anything like that, they would logically spend far more on maintenance and reliability to avoid it.

So, anyone have experience claiming EU 261 comp from UA? Best practices?
Send claim to UA CS via contact form or Email. Give PNR or ticket # and 'claim EC reg 261' (important to mention that). Wait 4-8 weeks. UA will send offer for cash or ETC or Miles
nufafa likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 6:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
Send claim to UA CS via contact form or Email. Give PNR or ticket # and 'claim EC reg 261' (important to mention that). Wait 4-8 weeks. UA will send offer for cash or ETC or Miles
UA has changed the website to have a specific EU261 submission path
Originally Posted by wiki
Go to https://www.united.com/en/us/customercare
Select Complaint, then select International Passenger Rights and then select appropriate jurisdiction

cfischer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J S
So, anyone have experience claiming EU 261 comp from UA? Best practices?
This thread is full of tens, if not hundreds of examples, nearly all successes.
SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​​

UA is among the very best airlines when it comes to EC reg 261. No fuss and they pay. You do not need to provide any documentation, just file the claim with ticket info and which flight you are submitting the claim for. Takes some time, but it’ll come through.
Indeed. And for regular UA customers accepting travel credit is the easiest & fastest option. Got one done within 72 hrs.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and nufafa like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 7:20 am

Thanks

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This changed awhile back -- the reimbursement is a separate section for the international mandatory items
https://www.united.com/en/us/customercare

I resubmitted my request using the International passenger rights button. Fingers crossed it leads to a positive outcome. Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:57 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
United just responded to my claim made in mid-June

Maybe I’m missing something, but if I opt for the 1000 ETC when does it expire? Also it can be used for different passengers than the one it was issued to, right?

Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2023, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by doc4science
.... Maybe I’m missing something, but if I opt for the 1000 ETC when does it expire?;;;;
Must be used within a year to purchase a future fight

Originally Posted by doc4science
....Also it can be used for different passengers than the one it was issued to, right? ,,,
yes and actually multiple different people
Fly2Connect and nufafa like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by peterjmag
Just wanted to share my timeline for a successful claim. ....

Here's what I wrote in my initial complaint:

(Also realizing just now that I called it EU 261, but the right name is EC 261/2004 as a previous poster pointed out. So if you use my text as a template, be sure to update that in case United ignores you on a technicality.)
Just wanted to say thank you for sharing the template you used for the complaint. I used a version of it and was also successful in receiving EU compensation.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by uiucsb
Thanks everyone.
I'm going to try and see what will happen.
I could see UA objecting, because it has the same confirmation number on all the flights. But since there are 4 tickets, it becomes 'real money'
Update from my July 6, LHR-DEN cancelled flight:
7/11: submitted UK261 request for cancelled flight and hotel/taxi reimbursement
7/23: submitted UK261 request for the delayed flight and missed connection for 7/7 (the second bite of the apple upthread) (don't ask me why I waited to submit this. Maybe I wanted to see what would happened for the first one and not confuse the system on the 2 requests. kinda silly no matter what the reason I had...)
8/2: email from UA about the $1k ETC, 50k miles, or choose a 520 GBP check, but check could take 12 weeks to arrive.

So, it took 3 weeks, 1 day (22 calendar days) to get the offer.

8/3: I asked a clarification about the travel expenses (they weren't mentioned in the first email), if each of the 4 of us could choose a different option, and to verify that these are indeed ETC and not FFC (just wanted to be 1000% sure)
8/3: reply that the expenses would be paid and each person could choose their own option.

Today, 8/8: I replied that we'll all take the 1k ETC and to send the check in USD to me.

(in the middle of this, I also submitted a general complaint on 7/11 about what happened that day (because some other passengers said they were told by lounge employees to ask). I heard nothing back. But on 8/1 (one day before I got my 261 reply), I got a generic ETC for $100. Unfortunately, I can't link that to the case # from my form submissions.)

Summary: I've asked for the 1k ETC after waiting only 3 weeks and am waiting for a reply to the 2nd 261 submission.
ccna101 and Repooc17 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by uiucsb
,,,,am waiting for a reply to the 2nd 261 submission.
if the 2nd submission was for the same travel direction, for a replacement travel, no second bites.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Wrong as he had 2 trips the original and the re-booked one! He is due the compensation for each trip so it is 2 x £520 pp
First trip was cancelled= compensation
Second trip delayed= compensation
I would assume so about not getting another claim, but it is a separate flight event. Germanfflyer, quoted here from July, thinks it's possible to claim in this circumstance, so I'll see what UA says.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
​​​​​​

UA is among the very best airlines when it comes to EC reg 261. No fuss and they pay. You do not need to provide any documentation, just file the claim with ticket info and which flight you are submitting the claim for. Takes some time, but it’ll come through.
That has not been my experience thus far, though I have no other personal yardsticks to compare it to. Had a 3:27 delay to final destination on a EU-originating flight due to mechanical (hydraulic) issue. Submitted the claim on UA.com day after the incident (27 May) -- got automated acknowledgement almost immediately setting out the typical response timeframe (e.g. most cases 1-2 days, some cases 30 days), no reply at all. About a month later (03 July) replied to that customer care acknowledgement and forwarded to 1KV requesting status... Still no reply as of today. If they want to deny the claim that's one thing -- and that's more or less what I expected given what I understand UA's difference of opinion with the EU to be about applicability connecting flights outside of the EU on an EU-originating itinerary -- but they simply haven't bothered to respond in more than 2 months and I don't like having loose ends flapping for that long.

Just submitted a claim to AESA, we'll see if that prompts any kind of response finally...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
BCN-IAD today was delayed (due to late incoming flight) causing me to mis connect to IAD-EWR. (By only 5 min, they didn't wait, I guess EC261 is not a factor in connection saver. The flight left early and arrived early). The direct option was not offered. They cancelled BCN-ORD so I guess it filled up quick. I will arrive around 5hrs late.

This sounds like it should qualify for EC261, right?
And I shouldnt complain about anything at this time to customer service or accept any other compensation.

They also damaged my checked bag. I assume a baggage claim won't affect this since I need to do it within 7 days

Or a refund request for wifi

Last edited by eng3; Aug 16, 2023 at 4:59 pm
Old Aug 16, 2023, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
BCN-IAD today was delayed (due to late incoming flight) causing me to mis connect to IAD-EWR. (By only 5 min, they didn't wait, I guess EC261 is not a factor in connection saver. The flight left early and arrived early). The direct option was not offered. They cancelled BCN-ORD so I guess it filled up quick. I will arrive around 5hrs late.

This sounds like it should qualify for EC261, right?
In the past UA has been slow on those domestic connector cases but people are reporting more success recently.
Originally Posted by eng3
And I shouldnt complain about anything at this time to customer service or accept any other compensation.

They also damaged my checked bag. I assume a baggage claim won't affect this since I need to do it within 7 days

Or a refund request for wifi
those should have zero impact on the EU261 claim.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 4:18 pm

Compensation Denied -“Knock on” effect

Last month, our Rome to Chicago flight was delayed nearly 8 hours due to a “knock on” effect. Our plane was coming from Chicago, where there were no weather issues or ATC issues. The delay was instead caused by the prior flight, which was going to Chicago from Newark. Newark apparently had storms and gate availability issues. Accordingly, our delay was a “knock on” effect of an issue in Newark affecting our plane getting to Chicago, then from Chicago to Rome (where we would board) and then back to Chicago. My understanding is that these cascading knock on effects are not considered extraordinary circumstances and are entitled to compensation under EC 261 case law. We received a response today from United, denying our compensation request and stating United has no appeals process. Am I correct that I have a claim? Assuming I do, should I hire one of the third parties that take up to half of your award, or should I respond to United citing case law (and where do I find the case law—is it on Westlaw) and see if United reconsiders?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.