Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

Old Feb 18, 18, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio007 View Post
The airline blames the cancellation of the incoming flight and this mornings flight on bad weather ..however I took a screen shot of the weather on a weather app and it appears to be cold but sunny
This ongoing trope is really annoying to anyone who understands aviation weather.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 18, 10:49 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Yup, I also think you're due the 600 euros. Use the link to the EU 261 thread 2 posts up for more details.

UA will likely deny it, maybe even twice, but I'd just keep at them. These were not extraordinary circumstances and I'm 95% certain that with enough effort on your part, you'll get it.
ContinentalFan and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Sticking to the ground is relatively irrelevant.
It's really not. At airports that regularly experience winter weather, it takes more than a couple hours of moderate snowfall to impact ops to the extent that extensive cancels are required.

Also, note that UA only cancelled three international long-haul flights from EWR yesterday - TLV, DEL, and MAN. None of the other carriers that fly long-haul international from EWR cancelled any flights. And JFK only had one international cancel total among all airlines - KL to AMS.

3 inches of snow in New Jersey in February is not even close to "extraordinary circumstances" under EC precedent. Of course that doesn't mean UA won't deny comp, they (and many other airlines) routinely ignore the EC court's determinations on this issue.
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It's really not.
Sure it is. Planes don't deice when the ground is covered with snow. They deice when the planes are covered with snow. And pretending that snow on the ground is what causes delays during a storm is somewhere between myopic and willfully misleading.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Also, note that UA only cancelled three international long-haul flights from EWR yesterday - TLV, DEL, and MAN. None of the other carriers that fly long-haul international from EWR cancelled any flights. And JFK only had one international cancel total among all airlines - KL to AMS.
Are you suggesting that because only three flights canceled that those three shouldn't have?

Also, weather at EWR and JFK is different.
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sure it is. Planes don't deice when the ground is covered with snow. They deice when the planes are covered with snow. And pretending that snow on the ground is what causes delays during a storm is somewhere between myopic and willfully misleading.
We're not talking about delays due to de-icing, we're talking about cancels due to "extraordinary circumstances."

Your commentary here is irrelevant, unhelpful, and pointlessly argumentative.
MatthewLAX and truncated like this.
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
let it go. There were a ton of weather related issues at EWR last night. UA will most certainly refuse paying EC reg 261. Unless you really want to go to court in such a murky case ... I would not do this.
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:45 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
And pretending that snow on the ground is what causes delays during a storm is somewhere between myopic and willfully misleading.
As is denying that unplowed and/or slick runways and taxiways can't cause delays, incidents, and accidents. You cannot possibly isolate issues to a single cause - you have to have a "big picture" view and take all factors into account.
Old Feb 18, 18, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR-G, HH-S, IHG, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain View Post
United had options, including cancelling other flights out of EWR last night, scheduling less flights out of EWR so that they could handle minor weather disruptions, or ferrying a plane to MAN for today's flight, but they chose to cancel the MAN-EWR flight instead.
The forgotten part of the "spirit" of the law was not just flying it or canceling it. It is the care for passenger. In this case, they should avoid stranding you for more than 4 hours by buying you a ticket on another airline that's flying.

I've never been paid 261 compensation, but when some airline sold me A-B-C-D with 35+60 minute connections, I "quoted" 261 and successfully changed their mind to let me fly A-C nonstop to reach the original C-D.
Old Feb 18, 18, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
And pretending that snow on the ground is what causes delays during a storm is somewhere between myopic and willfully misleading.
Shutting down runways for plowing doesn't cause any capacity related delays?

Wow, better let the FAA know!
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Feb 18, 18, 5:12 pm

One thing to consider here is that most scheduled flights departed Newark for the UK last night - delayed by a couple of hours but not cancelled - so the question of why the MAN flight was cancelled rather than delayed is an interesting one. Perhaps the fact that EWR/MAN is kind of a borderline route to a secondary market of relatively little economic significance to United (especially now in the winter) played a role here? If UA decides to cancel out of economic or operational considerations, it is unlikely to count as exceptional circumstances.
Old Feb 18, 18, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca View Post
One thing to consider here is that most scheduled flights departed Newark for the UK last night - delayed by a couple of hours but not cancelled - so the question of why the MAN flight was cancelled rather than delayed is an interesting one. Perhaps the fact that EWR/MAN is kind of a borderline route to a secondary market of relatively little economic significance to United (especially now in the winter) played a role here? If UA decides to cancel out of economic or operational considerations, it is unlikely to count as exceptional circumstances.
Exactly. I think UA would have an extremely hard time claiming it was an extraordinary weather event.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 19, 18, 4:52 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Originally Posted by Antonio007 View Post
This mornings flight February 18 From MAN to EWR was cancelled due to the flight from Newark last night not arriving.
Can anyone advise on whether this cancelled flight is eligible for compensation under European legislation .
The airline blames the cancellation of the incoming flight and this mornings flight on bad weather ..however I took a screen shot of the weather on a weather app and it appears to be cold but sunny nothing that appears to have prevented other flights arriving or departing
Does anyone have more information regarding this ?
Very clear case!
No bad weather in MAN
UA had 9+ hours to charter a plane to make the flight happen....
They chose not to - because they were too tight and they know only 5 people or less will sue them and win their EU261!
Silver Fox and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 19, 18, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Very lively discussion. I had claimed compensation on a canceled flight from BCN- EWR last year. All I did was write UA via Customer Service and put in the subject line EU 261 compensation request. I've never received such a fast reply from Customer Service before (literally within the hour) and they said that my flight qualified for compensation. They offered me 600 or a $900 UA ECERT.

very seamless process and it was just two emails. I would try the same and see what they say no need to use an intermediary at this point to communicate with UA in my opinion.Best of luck and keep us posted. Thanks and safe travels
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Mar 13, 18, 3:02 pm

Programs: MP Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Very lively discussion. I had claimed compensation on a canceled flight from BCN- EWR last year. All I did was write UA via Customer Service and put in the subject line EU 261 compensation request. I've never received such a fast reply from Customer Service before (literally within the hour) and they said that my flight qualified for compensation. They offered me 600 or a $900 UA ECERT.

very seamless process and it was just two emails. I would try the same and see what they say no need to use an intermediary at this point to communicate with UA in my opinion.Best of luck and keep us posted. Thanks and safe travels
Did you send an actual email? If so, to what address? Or did you just fill out the "Contact Customer Care" form on their website?

Our flight from BRU-EWR on Feb 26 was cancelled due to maintenance (crack in the fuselage). We were re-booked on a LH flight BRU-MUC-EWR, which pretty much assured that our two pieces of checked luggage would be missing for one and three days, respectively. We arrived at EWR 6+ hours later than we should have with United. Based on my understanding, we should be due EUR600 each, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach this - by contacting United directly (and if so, how) or by filing an actual EU261 claim form somewhere else. Any suggestions?

Additionally, should go ahead and also accept the $400 voucher that their automated Customer Service is offering for the "inconvenience?" Would this exclude me from collecting via EU261, or would that be completely separate?
Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 18, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
Did you send an actual email? If so, to what address? Or did you just fill out the "Contact Customer Care" form on their website?

Our flight from BRU-EWR on Feb 26 was cancelled due to maintenance (crack in the fuselage). We were re-booked on a LH flight BRU-MUC-EWR, which pretty much assured that our two pieces of checked luggage would be missing for one and three days, respectively. We arrived at EWR 6+ hours later than we should have with United. Based on my understanding, we should be due EUR600 each, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach this - by contacting United directly (and if so, how) or by filing an actual EU261 claim form somewhere else. Any suggestions?

Additionally, should go ahead and also accept the $400 voucher that their automated Customer Service is offering for the "inconvenience?" Would this exclude me from collecting via EU261, or would that be completely separate?
Thanks!
Accepting the apology/inconvenience $400 will not effect the EU 261 compensation. I had sent in a message to United Via the the contact us form on the website I used a title of request for EU261 compensation. Stead of my flight number original time of departure and the time I actually arrived home with the substitute transportation. I heard back within a few hours that I qualified and they offered me either 600 or $900 in UA compensation certificate. They then processed the compensation certificate which I received within a day or so I also was offered an apology of $300 which I had taken, however I'm not sure if I accepted that before or after negotiating the EU 261 compensation. Good luck and keep us posted.
WormGod likes this.

Search this Thread