Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I contacted Swiss at LHR to try to retrieve my luggage and was told it was already on its way to IAD. Then the next day at LHR, I did stop by the Swiss desk to ask about the compensation and was handed a printed sheet and used that information for my request to Swiss for compensation.

The receipt for the LHR hotel was in pounds - many of them. In rechecking their email, it is 150 euro offered.

Other than hoping Chase will help out a bit, I'll let this go. Since my bag was delayed between IAD and DEN. I will hope I have hit my share of travel bumps for awhile.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 10:11 am

Last Thursday, July 6, my flight UA 263, LHR-DEN was delayed, delayed, delayed, boarded, deplaned, and eventually cancelled for mechanical reasons (14:50 scheduled departure, cancellation about 22:00 and then going through passport control and luggage retrieval and taxi to a hotel we booked, etc.). Anyway, this flight is looks to be fully eligible for the 600 EUR compensation for each ticket (full disclosure, this was an award ticked in J for 4 of us). (please let me know if it is not eligible)

The next day, Friday, July 7, the same plane was scheduled for 10:00 departure (new flight number was UA 3023). However, it didn't leave until 12:46. Scheduled landing was 13:09 in DEN, and actual was 15:22.
This late arrival caused us to miss the connection DEN-SNA (originally on UA 1061) with scheduled landing at 17:24.

We took UA 2199 with actual landing in SNA at 20:54. For the Friday travel, arrival destination airport was 3 hr 30 min delayed.
Can we also apply for compensation for being delayed on the Friday flights?

In other words, can we apply for both the original cancelled as well as the late flights?
Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uiucsb
Last Thursday, July 6, my flight UA 263, LHR-DEN was delayed, delayed, delayed, boarded, deplaned, and eventually cancelled for mechanical reasons (14:50 scheduled departure, cancellation about 22:00 and then going through passport control and luggage retrieval and taxi to a hotel we booked, etc.). Anyway, this flight is looks to be fully eligible for the 600 EUR compensation for each ticket (full disclosure, this was an award ticked in J for 4 of us). (please let me know if it is not eligible)
The UK is not in the EU. The amount is Ł520. (At the moment, that’s very slightly in your favor — Ł520 is about €608). You would also be due any out of pocket costs incurred as a direct result (hotel, ground transportation, food).

Can we also apply for compensation for being delayed on the Friday flights?
Sorry, you only get to hit the jackpot once per trip. See my correction, below.

Last edited by jsloan; Jul 10, 2023 at 8:41 am Reason: Germanfflyer is correct. The case law is insane.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
The UK is not in the EU. The amount is Ł520. (At the moment, that’s very slightly in your favor — Ł520 is about €608). You would also be due any out of pocket costs incurred as a direct result (hotel, ground transportation, food).

Sorry, you only get to hit the jackpot once per trip.
They passed out the paper referring to the EU (https://media.united.com/assets/m/2f...EN_Jan2022.pdf), so I was lumping UK and EU together in this case.

is the united /feedback webpage and form the correct place to request?
Old Jul 9, 2023, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is the united /feedback webpage and form the correct place to request?
Yes. There should be an option for requesting compensation by jurisdiction. There was a specific screenshot posted to this thread about a month ago.
SPN Lifer and uiucsb like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 8:22 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
The UK is not in ...

Sorry, you only get to hit the jackpot once per trip.
Wrong as he had 2 trips the original and the re-booked one! He is due the compensation for each trip so it is 2 x Ł520 pp
First trip was cancelled= compensation
Second trip delayed= compensation

Last edited by Germanfflyer; Jul 10, 2023 at 8:27 am
Old Jul 10, 2023, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Wrong as he had 2 trips the original and the re-booked one! He is due the compensation for each trip so it is 2 x Ł520 pp
First trip was cancelled= compensation
Second trip delayed= compensation
Good Lord, just when I thought I couldn’t despise EC.261 any more than I already do…

@uiucsb, it does appear that the ECJ has decreed that the law says that you can get multiple bites at the apple. UA may have a different opinion, and may reject the initial claim, but if you care to take them to court, it appears that precedent is in your favor. Since this particular bit of judicial insanity predates Brexit, it is presumably binding on the UK.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:05 am

Good Lord, just when I thought I couldn’t despise EC.261 any more than I already do…

@uiucsb, it does appear that the ECJ has decreed that the law says that you can get multiple bites at the apple. UA may have a different opinion, and may reject the initial claim, but if you care to take them to court, it appears that precedent is in your favor. Since this particular bit of judicial insanity predates Brexit, it is presumably binding on the UK.
Thanks everyone.
I'm going to try and see what will happen.
I could see UA objecting, because it has the same confirmation number on all the flights. But since there are 4 tickets, it becomes 'real money'
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 2:54 pm

I was meant to be on the UA26 on the 11th June which eventually got cancelled due to mechanical reasons. I was rebooked the next day, and then rebooked again, and then rebooked again on BA and AS, eventually getting to my final destination very late!

I filed a claim with them for UK261/2004 compensation on the 19th June and have heard nothing since. Tweeted them today and was told they're at 50 days processing for 261/2004 claims. The regs clearly say 7 days for payment, so was going to give them a month before sending a letter before action to their UK address.

Had success with this approach with a claim against Swiss last year - just wondered what people's experiences were of going down this approach?
Old Jul 11, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I was meant to be on the UA26 on the 11th June which eventually got cancelled due to mechanical reasons. I was rebooked the next day, and then rebooked again, and then rebooked again on BA and AS, eventually getting to my final destination very late!

I filed a claim with them for UK261/2004 compensation on the 19th June and have heard nothing since. Tweeted them today and was told they're at 50 days processing for 261/2004 claims. The regs clearly say 7 days for payment, so was going to give them a month before sending a letter before action to their UK address.

Had success with this approach with a claim against Swiss last year - just wondered what people's experiences were of going down this approach?
Be patient.

Seven days to get a refund if you don’t take a flight. You were rebooked so that doesn’t apply.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dave_C

UA pays (Swiss does not). Just give it time. No such thing as 7 days in the regs ...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA
Is the United Cares compensation in lieu of EU 261 compensation?
Old Jul 14, 2023, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by angetenar
Is the United Cares compensation in lieu of EU 261 compensation?
general advise is: get EC reg 261 FIRST then take the United cares comp. If you do it the other way you needlessly get into a gray area.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:00 am

United Multi-airline itinerary - who to claim EU 261 with?

I booked an award itinerary using my United miles: INN-FRA on Air Dolomiti, FRA-CDG on Lufthansa and CDG-IAD on United. I was to depart on July 13 and arrive at IAD July 13 at 1920.

Air Dolomiti cancelled the INN-FRA leg, and I was subsequently rebooked by United on the following itinerary: on July 13 INN-VIE-JFK on Austrian, with an overnight in NYC and then connecting United EWR-DCA and arriving at 0719 on July 14. I had some other options, but that was the very earliest that I could arrive in DC after the cancellation.

I understand I'm entitled to EU 261 compensation, which should include paying for my hotel and transport etc in NYC right, due to the duty of care, right? But I'm confused about who I file the claim with - should it be Air Dolomiti because they are responsible for the first cancellation, or should it be United?
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Air Dolomiti - the operating carrier that cancelled and led to the problems.
jsloan and uanj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.