Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overweight passenger in middle seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:27 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by colpuck
The GA has control of the manifest, and should have addressed the COS issue before letting the passenger on board. If the pilot wants me off, then it is an IDB.
Being removed from a plane and being an IDB are completely different things. May want to read either th CoC or the DoT rules, which are the same for what an IDB is. The OP is new here and telling them somethin that is not true will just spread misinformation and flase statements that might get interpreted falsely.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The GA has control of the manifest, and should have addressed the COS issue before letting the passenger on board. If the pilot wants me off, then it is an IDB.
Not so. IDB, according to the DOT rule, only applies to overbooking. The Captain can order you off for any reason and all you are due under the COC is a refund for the segment.

That said, the time to deal with COS issues is before departure. This can be handled with discretion by speaking quietly w. a FA up front and being polite but insistent.

In particular, in the case of an Exit Row issue, it's even more important. Remember, this was a pax who was not assigned to the Exit Row and the substitution should not have been allowed.

Last edited by Often1; Jul 3, 2012 at 2:10 pm
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by bucketlist
It's best to stand (up for your rights) before the door closes. If the COS can't be moved, request an IDB. Once the door closes and you're off there's little the FA can do - they have to be alerted to the trouble while there's time to do something, like remove or reseat the COS.

Not sure if there's a prohibition on seat belt extenders in exit rows tho it seems this COS would have had difficulty the duties required in, and been a potential bottleneck of, the exit row. Someone old and frail and skinny is not good for the exit row, nor someone young and 400 lbs...

UA policy is pretty civilized - if someone can't fit in one and can't buy an extra seat, and can't fly until the next day, UA provides meals, lodging.

It's also clear from .bomb:

Customers requiring extra seating

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.

A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seatbelt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.
This policy is direct from PMCO. The person sitting next to the POS is not the one that needs to be moved or deboarded. It's clearly the POS. However, in practice the onus is clearly on you to bring this up before the door closes if you feel you are being signifiicantly enroached upon, or if the person next do you doesn't meet the other requirements. However, I think its very important that you know the rules, and better yet have a copy of them, in case you become the problem and not the POS.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:54 pm

Could a 400 lb person sitting in a Exit Row reasonably be expected to assist in an emergency?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Also - the new SHARES will beep when an exit-row passenger board the plane. The GA needs to manually override it.

The GA has to know the COS because he or she can board.

Originally Posted by JetAway
Could a 400 lb person sitting in a Exit Row reasonably be expected to assist in an emergency?
Can they even get out the window exit?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Clearly not. So, while we're our own best advocates if we feel stuck (so to speak) in an unreasonable POS situation, exit rows are a very different story. FAs should proactively remedy situations in which someone in the exit row is obviously not suited to be there.

These are delicate situations to begin with, and the onus should not be on the passenger to affect action when it becomes a safety concern.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't think that is the right question. I think the question we should be asking is whether someone this big http://theplaintruth.websitetoolbox....oto=nextoldest poses a danger to everyone on board in the event of an emergency.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by bucketlist
Customers requiring extra seating

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.
This is an interesting although false assumption that a premium seat will be sufficient. Just last week I flew to LHR on a 767 in United Business. If you haven't been in these seats, they are somewhat narrow. Very narrow for a COS. The girth of the customer's upper body plus that of their upper arms (which they had to rest to the side of their body) resulted in their arm covering the entirety of the shared armrest plus pushing into my "open air" space. I spent the entire flight slightly tilted into the aisle and actually put down the armrest on the aisle side to allow for my tilt. Not a really comfortable ride for me.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I was once 400 lbs ... at that stage in my life I would have had no more difficulty exiting the aircraft or assisting in an emergency than I do now at 200 lbs.

Of course, when I was that big, I flew a lot less and only flew when traveling with a companion who was willing to tolerate me occupying some of his or her space.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by garykung
Also - the new SHARES will beep when an exit-row passenger board the plane. The GA needs to manually override it.

The GA has to know the COS because he or she can board.

Can they even get out the window exit?
According to OP the COS "realizes she is in the wrong seat and out loud states to the flight attendant and anyone else that was listening. The actual seat holder approaches and states that seat is his but is willing to let her stay seated and will sit in her assigned seat instead."

IMO when the OP didn't complain the FA decided to just to look the other way. I bet the FA made sure everyone turned off their phones, etc.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:06 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Wink Simple...

As to the POS issue...never fly in economy (aka Steerage). In First Class you NEVER have to worry about the person in the middle seat!!!

And BTW, no need to personally thank me for this sage advice. It's simply my way of giving back!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Too bad the 400 pd lady wasn't on the shuttle, too
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Not related to COS/POS, but in regards to exit row and seat belt extenders, (although not official as in FAR, but as an industry safety):

http://flightsafety.org/files/cabin_...compendium.pdf
See Section 2-2

On Qantas website, it gives restrictions:
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...eats/global/en
On an AA flight, COS in the exit row, fortunately for me across the aisle.

He asked for a seat belt extender, the FA brought it no questions.

I was wondering myself: Could this person even fit through the exit window, much less help others to emergency exit?

Fortunately we did not have to find out!

The only good thing about exit rows and COS' is that typically the armrest does not move. So they can't move it up to better fit in to their seat (and yours)....
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by glasnost7
I once wrote in for clarification on the oversized passenger issue (not seeking compensation) and got 7,000 miles as a gesture of goodwill. Now that i know the policy I will not surrender any of my seat if they cannot reasonably fit in theirs.

Weather delays usually get me about $200 in compensation as an e-certificate, but that often depends on status and circumstance. Check out this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...pensation.html to see what others have been given in compensation.
Where do you write nowadays? In the good ol' CO day, I knew the address to write but now I am not sure. Care to provide e-mail site?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:56 pm

I didn't think about it until LarkSFO mentioned it, but:

According to the OP:
"The armrest between us would not stay in position due to her girth. . .As we were seated in an exit row, I doubt this passenger could have properly assisted if an issue arose."

Which planes have movable armrests in exit rows?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.