Wiki Posts
Search

Ever wonder who makes your FC Cookie?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Ever wonder who makes your FC Cookie?

Nice article in today's Chicago Tribune about the small company that makes the dough for the cookies served in First and Business First:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...tory?dssReturn

Note: Reading it may require a free "Digital Membership"
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:15 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mmayer
Nice article in today's Chicago Tribune about the small company that makes the dough for the cookies served in First and Business First:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...tory?dssReturn

Note: Reading it may require a free "Digital Membership"
I recall there being a thread about this before. But I do like the cookies in F/C these days, however, WOW, have they shrunk them down. They used to be about the size of a 'mall cookie', but now they're smaller than the diameter of a hockey puck.

I commented, jokingly, about the size of them to a F/A recently, who agreed with me 100%. She came back by a few minutes later (presumably after offering them to everyone behind me) with another one!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Nice story, indeed. To read without subscribing, Google "sweet success poppies dough united airlines tribune" and hit the Print icon on the first page of the story for full text.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I recall there being a thread about this before. ...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-scones.html Dec 2010
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I recall there being a thread about this before. But I do like the cookies in F/C these days, however, WOW, have they shrunk them down. They used to be about the size of a 'mall cookie', but now they're smaller than the diameter of a hockey puck.

I commented, jokingly, about the size of them to a F/A recently, who agreed with me 100%. She came back by a few minutes later (presumably after offering them to everyone behind me) with another one!
But requesting more than one cookie is not so good an idea. Watch this instructional video. Many cookies is not necessarily better than one cookie.

Seriously......Yes, I have noticed that the cookies are getting smaller. It's amazing what the airheads at this airline think they can get past us. They didn't think we would notice?

Someone with a Ph.D. in cost accounting probably calculated that decreasing the cookies by x milimeters in diameter, would save the company y cent per cookie. And that if you multiple that by Z cookies served per year, the resulting cost savings would be......heck, who cares?

The result is ticked off frequent flyers. There's your business outcome, Smisek.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by LEONIDES
Someone with a Ph.D. in cost accounting probably calculated that decreasing the cookies by x milimeters in diameter, would save the company y cent per cookie. And that if you multiple that by Z cookies served per year, the resulting cost savings would be......heck, who cares? .
Don't forget the secondary fuel savings from flying around thinner frequent-flyers due to the change...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:45 am

It really doesn't matter who makes my cookie, it's who's eating it that I wonder about! I'm batting about 500 on getting my cookie from the oven to my tray table! Seems these little delights are too good to pass up, especially on cross country's!!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
They don't serve them on every domestic flight. I was on a flt to Orlando in 1st class. I was waiting and waiting for my cookie (did not ask the FA about it, just assumed it would be served)....

And then my seatmate and I got to talking about the cookies and we decided that there might be an ambush from the back of the plane (where there were ooooooodles of kids) if we were eating cookies up front.

Do they usually serve cookies on flights to Orlando or not???

And yes, I always look forward to it. But they need to hand out a glass of milk with it!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by sim510
And then my seatmate and I got to talking about the cookies and we decided that there might be an ambush from the back of the plane (where there were ooooooodles of kids) if we were eating cookies up front.
The dead give away is the exhalation of odor from the oven. The ambush that you so rightfully allude to is usually not going to come from the kids in coach, but rather from the more experienced professionals that must keep well nourished to save your bacon in case of an unexpected emergency.

Look at it like this --- You're sitting in FC, on a Sunday afternoon, and looking at a blank screen because the satellite is kaput, again. You are longing to see the Falcon's play and suddenly you think that you observe Michael Turner do an end run down the aisle with a ball covered top & bottom with little paper napkins zig-zag past you towards to huddle in the rear of the aircraft.

Your ONLY alternative at this point is to ring your FA call button and ask for a glass of 2%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.