Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

18 Sept - Mid-Atlantic Stormy Weather and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO

Hello Flyers.....

Leaving tomorrow (9/18) for Italy

IAD to FCO on Flight 966 - 5:41 PM

And I know weather can always change, however looking at this, I say chances of on time departure are about zero....

Thoughts?

4 PM
75°
Strong Storms / Wind
S at 21

5 PM
75°
Strong Storms / Wind
S at 20 mph

6 PM
74°
Strong Storms / Wind
FEELS LIKE:
SSW at 20 mph

7 PM
72°
Heavy T-Storms
SW at 13 mph

8 PM
71°
Heavy T-Storms
WSW at 10 mph

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 17, 2012 at 7:07 pm Reason: poor thread title
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
0%?

I think you are spot on.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
check on the inbound aircraft - if it arrives in time to turn to your flight, than that is a good start.

Hopefully the storms will be scattered / pass quickly and you can be on your way.

fortunately (I am presuming since you live in DC), you are driving to IAD, which is a good thing (as opposed to connecting there)

also, the aviation weather forecast is not calling for T-storms, just gusty winds and rain showers.

FM181800 17016G28KT 2SM SHRA SCT008 OVC020
FM182300 25011G20KT 5SM SHRA SCT010 OVC015
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
check on the inbound aircraft - if it arrives in time to turn to your flight, than that is a good start.

Hopefully the storms will be scattered / pass quickly and you can be on your way.

fortunately (I am presuming since you live in DC), you are driving to IAD, which is a good thing (as opposed to connecting there)

also, the aviation weather forecast is not calling for T-storms, just gusty winds and rain showers.

FM181800 17016G28KT 2SM SHRA SCT008 OVC020
FM182300 25011G20KT 5SM SHRA SCT010 OVC015

Correct about looking at the inbound aircraft

Luckily it is "scheduled" to arrive at 3 pm, before the good stuff comes into the area around 4.

Wouldn't the gusty winds delay the take off??

If not, how high does it take to delay the take off?

Luckily, I am driving to IAD and also in Business so I can sit in the lounge

I am hoping to be on my way by 8 pm. That would actually be perfect, more time to sleep on the plane
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Toddie00
Correct about looking at the inbound aircraft

Luckily it is "scheduled" to arrive at 3 pm, before the good stuff comes into the area around 4.

Wouldn't the gusty winds delay the take off??

If not, how high does it take to delay the take off?

Luckily, I am driving to IAD and also in Business so I can sit in the lounge

I am hoping to be on my way by 8 pm. That would actually be perfect, more time to sleep on the plane
long story short, generally winds less than 25-30 knots do not cause major delays
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
long story short, generally winds less than 25-30 knots do not cause major delays
Perfect because those are in mph.....

Thank you!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Around 64%
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:04 pm

Who cares if a flight leaves on time (except late connecting passengers and the general tardy passenger)? More important is will it arrive at its destination on time.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:45 pm

Here is a map of the area affected: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...reenville.html
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Which now is moving North and will mess with IAD I am guessing.

Inbound aircraft is basically on time currently (3 minute delay)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
NYC Airport Delays

Once again tonight major delays at all 3 NYC airports, especiialy EWR. Many flights running more then 4 late and some cancelations. The weather today showed a narrow line of rain associated with a cold front and a few thouderstorms mixed in. Why does the NYC airport system almost come to a hault for not a major storm.
It seems whenever a cold front is heading towards the east coast UA freeks out and issues a travel advisory. This inconviences so many people.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
because airport authorities prefer letting airlines go wild with scheduling than implementing sensible slot-controlling solutions.

airlines would never police themselves. only the airport authorities could solve this by restricting slots and encouraging aircraft up-gauging (or penalizing RJs and props).
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:56 pm

The big thing is so many flights need to approach NYC from the West and that line of storms is pretty much impenetrable without massive deviations. ATC can only handle so many planes coming into such congested airspace that need to be routed all over the place to get into NYC before eventually the workload and airspace just gets overwhelmed. That's the busiest airspace in the world given the number of major airports within it and weather is the #1 way to turn it into a mess.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
The weather around here was pretty nasty all afternoon evening. Very high-gusting winds and driving rain. Not surprising that things got backed up especially since EWR is often still one runway down for construction. They were working on 22R/4L when I landed on Monday afternoon.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Several inches or rain, high wind, tornado warnings. Trees were uprooted in severL areas. Hardly conducive to normal ops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.