Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click Enable expert mode.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that well be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select Manage Profile
  3. In the Preferences section, select View All Flight Search Preferences
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click Save at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Southwest RapidRewards
Is expert mode still a thing?

I have seen some threads / posts where United supposedly brought expert mode back, but none of the screenshots that I see online match the experience I have in the website.

Is expert mode still available and if so how do I turn it on here in July, 2022?

Thanks,
- Don
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DonnieZ
I have seen some threads / posts where United supposedly brought expert mode back, but none of the screenshots that I see online match the experience I have in the website.

Is expert mode still available and if so how do I turn it on here in July, 2022?

Thanks,
- Don
Yes, Expert Mode still exists. It's available in My United, under Settings -- Special Preferences and Accommodations.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by DonnieZ

Thanks,
- Don
Expert mode is still a thing... I just looked and it still works:

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2022 at 1:37 pm Reason: cleanup post-merge
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Expert mode is still a thing... I just looked and it still works:
More info here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cket-data.html
It's not been working for me today, and has been fine for a long time. Probably a temporary issue, and hope it restores later today.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by greenpau
It's not been working for me today, and has been fine for a long time. Probably a temporary issue, and hope it restores later today.
Just tried it - works fine for me
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Me too.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Expert mode stopped working for me last night and still not working this morning. Yes, I’m logged into my account. I tried my wife’s account and it does work there. Did I max out for the month?
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by VRFast
Expert mode stopped working for me last night and still not working this morning. Yes, Im logged into my account. I tried my wifes account and it does work there. Did I max out for the month?
Stopped working for me yesterday or the day before, even though I was logged in. Went to settings, and Expert Mode was no longer turned on. Some software upgrade by UA?
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Yep, that was the issue...expert mode box unchecked. Thanks. Should have been the first thing I checked. Funny how it still worked on my wife’s acct, although she hasn’t been logged on in a while.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by VRFast
Yep, that was the issue...expert mode box unchecked. Thanks. Should have been the first thing I checked. Funny how it still worked on my wifes acct, although she hasnt been logged on in a while.
Glad it helped! Took me a while to think to look for this, since I had certainly not turned it off (and didn't remember where to find the option, other than going to settings and rooting around).
VRFast likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Expert mode got deselected for me overnight as well. Needed to sign out and sign back in in Chrome to get it working again.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Fare class inventory gone?

Hello experts,

It is just me or do you also have issues seeing the fare class inventory? Am I missing any enhancement or change?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Everything seems perfectly normal.

Is this your problem? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...et-data-5.html
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Originally Posted by cfischer
Everything seems perfectly normal.

Is this your problem? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...et-data-5.html
Thanks cfisher! I lost this setting somehow overnight and got scared it was taken away..
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Thanks cfisher! I lost this setting somehow overnight and got scared it was taken away..
Same here, I had to re-enable it yesterday. There were also some similar reports recently of people losing their Expert Mode preference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.