Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: United 1K
Understanding the Fare Chart

Could someone help me understand how United prices fares and allocates across fare classes? For instance, if my flight is showing J9, is it fair to assume that United expects J to sell out?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by deathbysegments
Could someone help me understand how United prices fares and allocates across fare classes? For instance, if my flight is showing J9, is it fair to assume that United expects J to sell out?
J9 indicates the availability with respect to the fare bucket. Ranging from 0 to 9 (does not go any higher), so there are at least 9 tickets available at the J fare bucket, highest in the class cabin - full fare without any discount.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
J9 indicates the availability with respect to the fare bucket. Ranging from 0 to 9 (does not go any higher), so there are at least 9 tickets available at the J fare bucket, highest in the class cabin - full fare without any discount.
I've always wondered why they don't list the actual number ... instead of "9" as the max. Legacy software?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
I've always wondered why they don't list the actual number ... instead of "9" as the max. Legacy software?
Yes, although in general they may not want to publish that information even if they could.

It’s a pretty fundamental limit, though; a party of nine can buy one PNR via the website or a travel agent; you can use nine upgrade certificates to upgrade them; a Platinum or higher can guest everyone into E+, etc. Party of 10? You have to call group sales, premier benefits don’t apply, upgrades are difficult / impossible to use, etc.

It’s all tied to the same basic design principle.
drklain likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Has this functionality been temporarily removed? I can't see the buckets on the web or my phone. I re-verified I have expert mode enabled, even disabled and reneabled it, but it's not working. Can someone else comment?

EDIT: It works if I search cash fares; it does not for award searches. I swear it used to work when I was doing award searches.
Old May 17, 2020, 5:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BThumme
.... EDIT: It works if I search cash fares; it does not for award searches. I swear it used to work when I was doing award searches.
Nope, it has not
BThumme likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
EDIT: It works if I search cash fares; it does not for award searches. I swear it used to work when I was doing award searches.
It's been several years since it worked on award searches. Originally it worked on all searches, then it was broken for a while, and then they brought it back on cash searches only.
drklain likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's been several years since it worked on award searches. Originally it worked on all searches, then it was broken for a while, and then they brought it back on cash searches only.
Remember when you could see it on Flight Status pages? That was a loooong time ago.
Old May 18, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Remember when you could see it on Flight Status pages? That was a loooong time ago.
That would be a great option to have, especially on the mobile app.

Would be useful to see instrument upgrade space & SDC options, rather than having to make dummy bookings.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:10 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Anyone else having married segment issues when the flight starts with a 1-cabin plane?

Case in point, if I search from my home airport, which the flights invariably begin on a CRJ to ORD, and I select EWR as my final destination, the fare buckets look like this:

First segment on the 1-cabin Devil's Chariot™: Available fare classes:Y0YN0B0M0E0U0H0HN0Q0V0W0S0T0L0K0G0N9XN0X9
Connecting to ORD-EWR: Available fare classes:J0JN0C0D0Z0ZN0P0PN0PZ0IN0I0Y0YN0B0M0E0U0H0 HN0Q0V0W0S0T0L0K0G0N9XN0X9

Searching each flight individually:
First segment: Available fare classes: Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN9Q9V9W9S9T9L9K9G9N9XN9X9
Connecting to ORD-EWR: Available fare classes: J9JN9C9D9Z8ZN8P5PN0PZ0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN9Q9V9W 9S9T9L9K9G9N9XN9X9

It's not actually a married segment issue, I don't think, because when searching together, despite most fare buckets showing -0-, all 4 options (Basic, Regular Economy, Flexible Economy and First/Business) show various booking classes when clicking through (N, G, E and P, for the 4 options, respectively). Also, if I search between 2 airports where connecting as well, but on 2-class aircraft the whole way, this doesn't happen. Something's happening that united.com doesn't like when it's a 1-cabin starting flight. Also, on the return flight home, 2-cabin then connecting to a 1-cabin, it displays correctly as well.

Kind of annoying when looking for a cursory upgrade chance to see nothing when it comes to expert mode.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

Kind of annoying when looking for a cursory upgrade chance to see nothing when it comes to expert mode.
The advice has always been to look for upgrade space on segments individually from point to point - UA will price the itinerary correctly, but at least you know if you can run the upgrade request after ticketing and clear.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Anyone else having married segment issues when the flight starts with a 1-cabin plane?
R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights
Old Jun 22, 2020, 7:59 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The advice has always been to look for upgrade space on segments individually from point to point - UA will price the itinerary correctly, but at least you know if you can run the upgrade request after ticketing and clear.
But, that was the beauty of starting/ending with 1-cabin flights. (Trust me, my home airport has been 1-cabin planes non-stop since 2001 when mainline service ended, I've been doing this for 20 years). Married segments were not an issue when looking at the forward cabin(s) since the CRJ flight has no buckets for F, J, P, C, D, PN, ZN, etc--therefore those fare buckets always displayed properly and accurately as long as it was a single connection. ...And it still does, as my post (3 posts up) indicated, everything still displays correctly on the return (including accurate F inventory) because when the flight starts with a 2-cabin plane and connects to a 1-cabin plane, it's displaying correctly. The 'goofs' are when the first segment is on the CRJ).

...Yet more egregious is that when it's a 1-cabin flight followed by a 2-cabin flight, it's showing darn near zeros for ALL cabins, and as I said above, including zeros for the multitude of fares it actually offers you (N for basic, W/V/S for economy, a higher one for unrestriceted, and a first fare, whether it be a P, Z, C, J, etc).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's not actually a married segment issue, I don't think, because when searching together, despite most fare buckets showing -0-, all 4 options (Basic, Regular Economy, Flexible Economy and First/Business) show various booking classes when clicking through (N, G, E and P, for the 4 options, respectively). Also, if I search between 2 airports where connecting as well, but on 2-class aircraft the whole way, this doesn't happen. Something's happening that united.com doesn't like when it's a 1-cabin starting flight. Also, on the return flight home, 2-cabin then connecting to a 1-cabin, it displays correctly as well.

Sounds like an issue with Expert Mode rather than inventory then?

Mixed cabin used to bypass married segment control, which could be very useful if there were suppression rules for through inventory. A good example was SFO-EWR-DCA would suppress J space if EWR-DCA was two-cabin but if taking an E45 it would use broken inventory (sadly, flying nonstop from IAD in a recliner was usually the better choice anyway).
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:08 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Originally Posted by findark
Sounds like an issue with Expert Mode rather than inventory then?

Mixed cabin used to bypass married segment control, which could be very useful if there were suppression rules for through inventory. A good example was SFO-EWR-DCA would suppress J space if EWR-DCA was two-cabin but if taking an E45 it would use broken inventory (sadly, flying nonstop from IAD in a recliner was usually the better choice anyway).
Yes, definitely an Expert Mode issue. The inventory is there, just not displaying correctly. And to reiterate, it's not showing ANY fare classes for either segment when the first segment is a 1-cabin plane, on the way home where the 2-cabin flight is the first segment, it shows everything, the way it should and always has. Outbound: Y0B0M0H0V0Q0E0....etc (yet tons of availability in many fare classes), same flight search, but clicking through to the flights home, F9J9C9Y9B9M9H9V9...etc. Only difference between the 2 one-ways is one starts with a CRJ and one ends with a CRJ (with mainline or a 2-cabin RJ as the other segment in said one-way).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.