Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ftweb
Sorry for the naive question, but how do I view the fare buckets in the mobile app? I used to do this on the web site, where it would tell me, e.g., J9 C9 D8 etc. On the mobile web site it will tell me what fare class it is selling me, but I can't see how many of what other fare classes are available. For example, if there are lots of Polaris seats available in the seat map, then if the flight is like J9 C9 D0 Z0 P0 I'll assume an upgrade from Y is difficult, but with something like C9 D9 Z9 P4 I'd be more inclined to try.
Originally Posted by jonisflying
Still not working in the website. Where do you find it in the Mobile App?
For me, it appears after doing a flight search, then in the results list tap on Details/seat map

after which it shows at the bottom of the page.

pmarrsouth and jonisflying like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:48 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
cannot get expert mode in either website or app.cannot also see a button to click on which says details/seat map as listed below..have two separate places to click on details or seats.neither these give the flight buckets.. also every time i login i get the annoying we dont recognize this device message...
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
... also every time i login i get the annoying we dont recognize this device message...
Separate issue, see UA IT issue: Required security questions/authentication every logon, started 21? Sept
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
thanks-but can you tell me if there is a solution for the first issue?settings are set to expert mode...

cannot get expert mode in either website or app.cannot also see a button to click on which says details/seat map as listed below..have two separate places to click on details or seats.neither these give the flight buckets
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am still having problem to get expert mode to work.
It works on my IOS app but not showing up using browsers (both Google Chrome and Edge).

Any fix solution will be appreciated.
telemark27 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I got it to work if i select PP upgrade in advanced search

Xyzzy, Michilander and chavala like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Thank you!!!
Old Oct 5, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
As much as I see people complain about United IT all the time, I actually feel like they roll back bad changes pretty quickly.

Except this one. For what reason? It's been over a week and both prompts for "two-factor" security question every few hours AND the lack of expert mode in the web browser are still not fixed... Grumble grumble
Waldofriend likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR

Amazing! I tried and it indeed worked. Thank you very much!
It also worked if selecting Mileage upgrade.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
1. When I tried Plus Point Upgrade, Expert Mode details show up, as Hipplewm posted.
2. I then went back to select mileage upgrade, Expert Mode details also show up, as reported in my preceding post.

3. I then logged out and re-logged in, selecting mileage upgrade first, Expert mode details are hidden again, so it seems that the Plus Point upgrade triggered the Expert Mode. Without first selecting Plus Point upgrade, the Mileage upgrade failed to show Expert mode details.

4. I then logged out and logged in once more. This time selecting Plus Point upgrade led to Access Denied
5. Tried log-out and in several times. Got the Plus upgrade to work and show Expert mode details after several tries, but subsequent Mileage upgrade ended in Access Denied.
telemark27 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Thank you, this worked for me.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
1. When I tried Plus Point Upgrade, Expert Mode details show up, as Hipplewm posted.
2. I then went back to select mileage upgrade, Expert Mode details also show up, as reported in my preceding post.

3. I then logged out and re-logged in, selecting mileage upgrade first, Expert mode details are hidden again, so it seems that the Plus Point upgrade triggered the Expert Mode. Without first selecting Plus Point upgrade, the Mileage upgrade failed to show Expert mode details.

4. I then logged out and logged in once more. This time selecting Plus Point upgrade led to Access Denied
5. Tried log-out and in several times. Got the Plus upgrade to work and show Expert mode details after several tries, but subsequent Mileage upgrade ended in Access Denied.

And every time you logged back in you had to enter your best friend's birthday and fav pizza topping?
Old Oct 6, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Re-qualification

I know there are a number of criteria involved … but given the reset year we are in, any predictions on the $ threshold for 2023 GS re-qualification? Would 40k be enough out of EWR?

Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed!
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by nabster
I know there are a number of criteria involved … but given the reset year we are in, any predictions on the $ threshold for 2023 GS re-qualification? Would 40k be enough out of EWR?

Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed!
There's another thread for this already, but I've unsubscribed, hopefully mods will move your post
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Posting here, since important to GS:
Expert mode available fare classes not available on my flight searches this morning. Obviously a big deal if I can catch a PN fare available. Others having this problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.