Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click Enable expert mode.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that well be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select Manage Profile
  3. In the Preferences section, select View All Flight Search Preferences
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click Save at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't worry, you all aren't missing anything. All flights are still PN0PZ0.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I can see them when using the old flight search.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
It works on the mobile app but not on the site as of 3 PM CST
Old Sep 29, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not showing for me either.

UA's been messing with the website recently (see thread re "A or B" query); suspect this is related.
Sounds plausible. They're doing some more A/B testing (link to thread), where A = break the website and B = break the website. Fortunately, the changes are all ones they think we're going to like.

Last edited by lancelot21; Sep 29, 2022 at 6:33 pm Reason: fixed grammar
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:47 am

Still the same problem. Fare classes viewable on app - not on website.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Is expert mode gone from the web site for everyone or just me? I am nt seeing the display of fare buckets listed for ANY of my searches done with the United web site. I even went back to verify that it is turned on. I can see it just fine in the app...

Last edited by Xyzzy; Sep 30, 2022 at 9:14 pm
Old Sep 30, 2022, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Is expert mode gone from the web site for everyone or just me? It's nt showing for ANY of my searches done with the United web site. I even went back to verify that it is turned on. I can see it just fine in the app...
I can confirm that I'm seeing the same thing.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I'm also having the same issue - not working on the website but still available on the mobile app. Very frustrating; for as good as the mobile app is, sometimes it's easier to view things / options on a bigger screen.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Expert mode went down on the website yesterday afternoon. Still not up. It works on the app.

Could someone with some pull please report it to United?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
I noticed today as well. When doing advanced search for PP upgrade it still worked. Might be a temporary workaround?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Sorry for the naive question, but how do I view the fare buckets in the mobile app? I used to do this on the web site, where it would tell me, e.g., J9 C9 D8 etc. On the mobile web site it will tell me what fare class it is selling me, but I can't see how many of what other fare classes are available. For example, if there are lots of Polaris seats available in the seat map, then if the flight is like J9 C9 D0 Z0 P0 I'll assume an upgrade from Y is difficult, but with something like C9 D9 Z9 P4 I'd be more inclined to try.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Suddenly, there's no expert mode info (fare buckets) available to me today. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Suddenly, there's no expert mode info (fare buckets) available to me today. Anyone else experiencing this?
You aren't alone.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
This is becoming very irritating... Didn't realize how much I relied on that info for planning purposes and decision making.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Still not working in the website. Where do you find it in the Mobile App?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.