Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I am using iOS version and it is showing up for me. This is an amazing upgrade
wxguy likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I am using iOS version and it is showing up for me. This is an amazing upgrade
Not seeing this yet on my United app. Is there somewhere within the app you need to turn this on?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brandinho1

Not seeing this yet on my United app. Is there somewhere within the app you need to turn this on?
Do you see expert mode on the website? I'm guessing here, but it probably only appears on the phone if it's activated on your profile on the web.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
Do you see expert mode on the website? I'm guessing here, but it probably only appears on the phone if it's activated on your profile on the web.
I see it on the website but not on my Android. Even logged in to my account before doing a search.

Where exactly do the buckets show up on yours?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, I have it activated on the website and it just magically showed up on my phone i did nothing
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I see it on the website but not on my Android. Even logged in to my account before doing a search.

Where exactly do the buckets show up on yours?
Maybe it hasn't made it into the Android version. On my iPhone, they appear in the flight details during a search. Do a route search, tap into a specific flight, and you'll "Available fare classes" listed underneath the flight summary at the top of the screen.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: UA GS
Not showing up on my android or my wife's iphone.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Not showing up on my android or my wife's iphone.
Make sure you're running the most recent version? For the iPhone, I've got 2.1.64, which was updated three days ago. I'm not sure how much of their app is native vs. web views, but there's a decent chance that they needed an app update to show this data.

Otherwise, make sure you're searching for a paid flight? The expert mode data is hidden on awards just like it is on the web.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Mine was not showing. I fixed it by logging out and logging back into the account on my iPhone after updating the app.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by NoDestinations
Mine was not showing. I fixed it by logging out and logging back into the account on my iPhone after updating the app.
Yes. That did the trick on both android and iphone. Thanks all.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just noticed that when searching for a Business class ticket expert mode shows the correct PZ availability for each segment regardless of what's available on other segments. Is this something new? Here's an example: FRA-ORD is PZ9 while ORD-JAX is PZ0.

Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
I just noticed that when searching for a Business class ticket expert mode shows the correct PZ availability for each segment regardless of what's available on other segments. Is this something new? Here's an example: FRA-ORD is PZ9 while ORD-JAX is PZ0.
No. That's happening because you have a fare break at ORD; your ticket is being priced as a D fare from JNB-ORD plus a Z fare from ORD-JAX. The inventory search is based upon the fare, not the total journey, so when there's a fare break, you get separate inventory on each side of the break. If you had a connection between ORD and JAX, you'd get the "least common denominator" behavior on those segments.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, understand thanks.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:52 pm

Seats available

Is there a way to see how many seats are available for a Business Saver Award flight? I I added a passenger to several of the one-way flights and the flight I was wanting to take was no longer displaying.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iowa guy
Is there a way to see how many seats are available for a Business Saver Award flight? I I added a passenger to several of the one-way flights and the flight I was wanting to take was no longer displaying.
If you activate expert mode and do a search for cash payment, you'll see inventory numbers. The inventory bucket for saver business is I, so look for the number next to the I.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.