Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Looks like it's broken again. Not working on the website for me. I've logged out and in again just to be sure.

-RM
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Looks like it's broken again. Not working on the website for me. I've logged out and in again just to be sure.

-RM
Shows for me both website and app. Try redoing the setting in your profile?
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:20 am

yes. United.com has been acting funky last couple days
Old Jan 26, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
It was working for me 20 minutes ago and now it's gone (sigh)
Old Jan 26, 2023, 11:44 am

working now for me
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:47 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by chavala
It was working for me 20 minutes ago and now it's gone (sigh)
I've lost count of the number of times the setting to use Expert Mode got changed on me. In the past two years, it's been at least four times.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA
Website not showing up for me; hopefully they are fixing the nonsense results that have been showing up lately.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Yesteday I noticed that it would turn itself off after some searches. After going to preferences and turning it on it worked, but soon after it was unchecked again. Repeated a few times.
wxguy likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I hope that UA won't eliminate expert mode.
ijgordon and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few days ago it stopped working for me on the desktop browser. Logging out and back in didn’t help. Turning off the expert mode setting, then logging out, logging in, and re-enabling the setting DID work. Not sure if the logout/in was necessary though.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ijgordon
A few days ago it stopped working for me on the desktop browser. Logging out and back in didn’t help. Turning off the expert mode setting, then logging out, logging in, and re-enabling the setting DID work. Not sure if the logout/in was necessary though.
Same thing happened to me today.
SPN Lifer and wxguy like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Visibility disappeared for me in both the browser and the app on either Thursday or Friday. Saw this thread resurface so I checked my profile. The expert mode button was unchecked in my browser, and once I re-checked it, the fare buckets came back for me even without having to logout/login.
SPN Lifer, RobOnLI, wxguy and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Don’t see buckets on website or the app. Very frustrating as to why this keeps going in and out. Is there a third-party website I can use that will show the buckets?

ETA: somehow it got unchecked in my profile. Checked it and we’re all good. Very random!
Old Feb 6, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Don’t see buckets on website or the app. Very frustrating as to why this keeps going in and out. Is there a third-party website I can use that will show the buckets?

ETA: somehow it got unchecked in my profile. Checked it and we’re all good. Very random!
I think United runs some kind of update that will toggle Expert mode off.

Once you toggle it back on, make sure you logout and log back in to see it in the app.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 11:49 am

Expert mode has been getting unchecked repeatedly on me. Like, over a dozen times in the last week. Seems to happen after I cancel or make a booking, though I haven't done any experimentation to confirm. Kind of annoying since I can't re-activate it from the app and have to either access the website on my phone or a computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.