Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I want to give you an update on the changes to our united.com Expert Mode feature. By now, most of you know why we made the change we did: Displaying this level of information to all customers was causing significant confusion and questions.

We remain committed to providing information that makes your travel planning experience better, but there is a difference between a feature like Expert Mode -- which is understood by a select set of customers, and new features we’re developing like upgrade status visibility -- which is more easily understood by all customers. I’m happy to say that, as a direct result of your feedback, we have worked hard to accelerate a couple solutions that accomplish this goal.

Within the next two weeks we will:
  • Introduce improved upgrade status visibility for all customers. As many of you have seen in our preview site, this feature makes it easier for customers to review their upgrade status on flights for which they have waitlisted for an upgrade, as well as check Complimentary Premier Upgrade eligibility and status. This feature is the direct result of your feedback and will be available to all customers when viewing their reservation on united.com
    Update added as post #267 on 9/21

• Re-launch of Expert Mode as an opt-in feature. We will re-introduce the ability to view fare-class level information (a.k.a. Expert Mode) to customers who choose this setting in their online MileagePlus profile. This will enable the same level of fare class detail previously displayed to all customers. I’ll post the details about how exactly to configure this setting once it launches
    Update added as post #327 on 9/24
Like you, we wish we could have made these changes concurrently. That said, we appreciate your patience over the next couple of weeks while we roll these out. Thank you as always for your feedback.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
11/20/2022 - Expert mode not working. When I call United they don't even know what expert mode is. United.com is a dumpster fire. Airport codes table oily works sporadically, its not recognizing my status at booking so can't select seats. I had to buy a ticket, then go back and change seats, Send a DM yesterday and got a nonsense reply.

I give up. Will look elsewhere to book.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I still see the inventory report after a flight search but if I refresh the screen it disappears. But I do a fresh search, its back. So appears to be a bit touchy
"A bit touchy" Translation: It does not work

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 20, 2022 at 11:13 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
That is a feature, not a bug!
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rjburns
11/20/2022 - Expert mode not working.
Working fine for me all week, including 30 seconds ago. Are you sure you're opted in?
Old Nov 20, 2022, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
That is a feature, not a bug!
works perfectly fine for me
Old Nov 20, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
11/20/2022 - Expert mode not working. When I call United they don't even know what expert mode is.

I give up. Will look elsewhere to book.

"A bit touchy" Translation: It does not work
Expert mode is working on the website and on the app. You don't have it set correctly if you aren't seeing it.

Personally - I wouldn't expect a reservation agent or most UA employees to know what expert mode is. They don't address website or app issues. They book reservations - change reservations - cancel reservations - and some other miscellaneous things. Asking about expert mode is probably a deer in the headlights situation.

Book elsewhere? Nobody else has expert mode.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Confirm expert mode working on web
uanj likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
It is FINALLY back!! For at least a few months it wasn't working for me - yes of course made sure expert mode was enabled, even tried de-selecting, saving, logging out, in, re-enabling numerous times, numerous browsers. Only today is it back
uanj and jonisflying like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
I can't seem to find the actual page for where to submit the new request to. I see the "My United" with the left side drop-down options "MileagePlus, Trips, Walle, Profile, Settings". Does anyone know where to go from here? Thanks much.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hudsonlaluna
I can't seem to find the actual page for where to submit the new request to. I see the "My United" with the left side drop-down options "MileagePlus, Trips, Walle, Profile, Settings". Does anyone know where to go from here? Thanks much.
Settings - Profile and Preferences - Special Preferences and Accommodations - scroll to bottom - check Enable Expert Mode - click Save
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
It is a miracle it is back...
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
It worked, thank you!
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Is Expert Mode working for anyone else on the app?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by econ
Is Expert Mode working for anyone else on the app?
Which app?

Android / Samsung is working fine
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Which app?

works on iOS as well
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by cfischer
works on iOS as well
Working again after signing out and signing back in again a few times. Although I tried that initially, and it still didn't work the first time after I signed back in, so who knows? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.