Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Sure, that value proposition was there in 2017. But what about today?
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Posting here, since important to GS:
Expert mode available fare classes not available on my flight searches this morning. Obviously a big deal if I can catch a PN fare available. Others having this problem?
Originally Posted by limey1K
I and it seems many others have been having the same issue. It’s a real pain.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...e-down-14.html
It is still visible on your phone, try looking for it there.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM+, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, & Hertz PC
Come on United IT

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
1. When I tried Plus Point Upgrade, Expert Mode details show up, as Hipplewm posted.
2. I then went back to select mileage upgrade, Expert Mode details also show up, as reported in my preceding post.

3. I then logged out and re-logged in, selecting mileage upgrade first, Expert mode details are hidden again, so it seems that the Plus Point upgrade triggered the Expert Mode. Without first selecting Plus Point upgrade, the Mileage upgrade failed to show Expert mode details.

4. I then logged out and logged in once more. This time selecting Plus Point upgrade led to Access Denied
5. Tried log-out and in several times. Got the Plus upgrade to work and show Expert mode details after several tries, but subsequent Mileage upgrade ended in Access Denied.
Same here, going on weeks of the related/unrelated IT issue on multiple devices. Access Denied, won't save login, thus can't search for upgrades/apply Plus Points. Even if I can get the login to stick for a search or two, trying to book a ticket is impossible. Just walked through SFO GS Lobby and asked them if any news on resolution and they hadn't heard of it...
Old Oct 7, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Zorak
For me, it appears after doing a flight search, then in the results list tap on Details/seat map

after which it shows at the bottom of the page.

thanks forthe info
Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
1. When I tried Plus Point Upgrade, Expert Mode details show up, as Hipplewm posted.
2. I then went back to select mileage upgrade, Expert Mode details also show up, as reported in my preceding post.

3. I then logged out and re-logged in, selecting mileage upgrade first, Expert mode details are hidden again, so it seems that the Plus Point upgrade triggered the Expert Mode. Without first selecting Plus Point upgrade, the Mileage upgrade failed to show Expert mode details.

4. I then logged out and logged in once more. This time selecting Plus Point upgrade led to Access Denied
5. Tried log-out and in several times. Got the Plus upgrade to work and show Expert mode details after several tries, but subsequent Mileage upgrade ended in Access Denied.
Same here:
the second I select P-Points upgrade it gets to "Acess Denied"; I go back re-login and then get reservations details failing to show booking classes in Expert mode.
What a mess between that and the continuing security questions drag upon on login.
telemark27 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
When do you think this will get fixed? Trying to plan 2023 travel for qualifying in 2024. A real pain to keep looking for PZ availability through the Plus Points option.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Gone for me again on browser, works fine on iPhone app

cheers for the workaround with the advanced search upgrade options method. But it only works for people with plus points :’( so I cannot use it
Old Oct 8, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM+, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, & Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mmack
When do you think this will get fixed? Trying to plan 2023 travel for qualifying in 2024. A real pain to keep looking for PZ availability through the Plus Points option.
Just got off with a lovely GS agent and confirmed there are a bunch of upgrades happening over last few weeks and supposedly is going to be completed in the next week or so. No details on the exact IT issues, but she is having the same maddening issues with having to log in multiple times, doesn't matter which browser and inability to see expert mode/apply any upgrades.

At least a confirmation that we're not all nuts. I'm similarly trying to book a whole bunch of travel and w/o expert mode and running out of time.
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Actually this is maybe (and hopefully) related to the issues that Copa are having with trying to use certs to upgrade United fights

They said that something was broken on the United side, so many this is a fix
Old Oct 8, 2022, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thumbs down Well, it broke for me today

It worked up to yesterday using Firefox and Win10, and today it's no go

Have not tried tablet or app on phone.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Ugh, at least it still works on the app.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Actually this is maybe (and hopefully) related to the issues that Copa are having with trying to use certs to upgrade United fights

They said that something was broken on the United side, so many this is a fix
yes, she called out same thing with Lufthansa flights and a mess using star alliance search
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Still broken. Lame.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Expert mode.... here one day..... gone the next

Expert mode has once again disappeared for me..... and I cant get it back. Have turned it off and on and off and on again in my profile but still cannot see fare buckets.

Assume others are having this problem? This happened once a while back but it was fixed when I corrected it in my profile.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, it isn't working on the desktop website for most, but it's still working on the iOS app.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 2022 at 8:06 pm
Old Oct 10, 2022, 12:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Are the fare bucket displayed in iOS correct?

Looking at LAS-EWR fare KAA2AWDN. Seeming plenty of flights with K4 but website showing higher fares such as Q and L for some flights and N for others while the inventory for almost all flights shows K4 and N4 for Nov 12.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.