Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
My google-fu just isnt able to narrow down the answer.
Is there a good place, other than just using UA site in expert mode, to find fare class capacities?
Someplace easy to get to in order to see when PZ has room?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by huey_driver
My google-fu just isnt able to narrow down the answer.
Is there a good place, other than just using UA site in expert mode, to find fare class capacities?
Someplace easy to get to in order to see when PZ has room?
Nope, expert mode is the only way to view PZ and other UA-proprietary fare classes.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: United
Expert Mode - Why is everything 9?

In expert mode it seems there are always 9 of almost everything no matter how booked is the flight. I would have thought some of the fare classes would have decremented over time. In the list below are there really exactly 9 of everything that shows 9? Does this mean exactly 9 available?

Available fare classes
  • J7
  • JN7
  • C5
  • D3
  • Z1
  • ZN1
  • P0
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by jrquad
In expert mode it seems there are always 9 of almost everything no matter how booked is the flight. I would have thought some of the fare classes would have decremented over time. In the list below are there really exactly 9 of everything that shows 9? Does this mean exactly 9 available?

Available fare classes
  • J7
  • JN7
  • C5
  • D3
  • Z1
  • ZN1
  • P0
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
No, 9 is the max number that displays. 9 means there are at least 9 seats available for that booking code.

Also some fare codes in your examploe show less than 9. Z1 = 1 seat left for sale in that fare bucket. D3 = 3 seats left in that fare bucket, etc. For you to be seeing all those 9's for economy fares, there are probably quite a few seats for sale still. Try looking at something leaving today from say EWR or IAD to ORD, DEN, or IAH. Those are all super full flights and you won't see 9's across the board there
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
None of these main cabin fare buckets are deep discounted fares. Let us know when you see G or K fares with availability.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jrquad
In expert mode it seems there are always 9 of almost everything no matter how booked is the flight.
Sample size of how many? Because this is absolutely not true.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
None of these main cabin fare buckets are deep discounted fares. Let us know when you see G or K fares with availability.
Yeah 9s through H is super common, as H is typically a very pricey fare. Prices usually don't get reasonable until you get down to W or lower.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
Prices usually don't get reasonable until you get down to W or lower.
These days, I don't even consider W to be reasonable (at least on the routes I'm searching).
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While the prior comments have hit most issues, there are a couple things worth pointing out

The max number that will appear in the Expert Mode display is 9 for UA. You can also see the standard inventory buckets for moat airlines in other tools (although UA does not allow access by those tools to the two letter inventory categories). In general, the display for inventory for other is just a single digit and can be a lower than 9 (LH is 4). The airlines do not want to expose too much information to their competitors and there software / data handling issued that limited it to a single digit. Note the actual inventory can be much higher the "max" number.

The inventory numbers are not accumulative
Y6 B3 M1 and the rest zero, does not mean there are 10 seats available for sell. In this case there are likely just 6. If one seat was sold then the numbers would probably co to Y5 B2 M0 -- regardless of which fare class was sold,
The same is true for the other cabins

For more on the meaning / ranking of fare classes -- see Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA

Things get a little more involved as UA and other carriers will oversell the lower cabins (and block space in the higher cabins for upgrades / op-up but more likely there will be cancellation / mis-connects / irrops. That is the challenge of the airlines to maximize occupancy at flight time. So one needs to be careful the conclusion one draws looking at inventory numbers. This is just one reason UA requires you to acknowledge the limitations of Expert Mode before you have access.
Ever see (+X blocked) in booked column on upgrade list?

And as discussion elsewhere, the available of inventory space is insufficient to guarantee availability to purchase that fare class
Fare Class has Inventory - Not Able to Book into?

The leveling of fare class (opening lower fare class close to departure) for SDC is another practice that has change and is less common nowadays.
See discussion in UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 19, 2022 at 9:32 am Reason: more links
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
This is a new one for me and wondering if anyone else has seen this. Looking at a ORD-MCO for Sept 2 of this year. Fares came down today and the lowest econ fare is $172 and books into T. When I look at the flights in expert mode the $172 fares all show T1 when searching for 1 person. When I search for 2 people I expected the price to increase and jump to the next fare bucket, but expert mode shows T2. When I search for seven people it shows T7. Is this normal or am I just mis-reading the data?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chicago747
This is a new one for me and wondering if anyone else has seen this. Looking at a ORD-MCO for Sept 2 of this year. Fares came down today and the lowest econ fare is $172 and books into T. When I look at the flights in expert mode the $172 fares all show T1 when searching for 1 person. When I search for 2 people I expected the price to increase and jump to the next fare bucket, but expert mode shows T2. When I search for seven people it shows T7. Is this normal or am I just mis-reading the data?
It's not normal, but neither are you misreading the data. Something odd has been happening for a couple of weeks now.

Take a look at this thread, starting from around the pinned post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34319428-post51.html
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:04 pm

Did UA disable Expert Mode?

Logging onto www.united.com from a laptop, up until recently I could see number of seats in each fare class. Today I cant find it. I have the option of "Details" or "Seats" but neither lists fare class. And when I got to Account Preferences, I no longer see an option to click Expert Mode.

Did UA disable this option?

Regards, John
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Still working for me and still available in settings

lsquare and Air Houston like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Kata Boat
Logging onto www.united.com from a laptop, up until recently I could see number of seats in each fare class. Today I cant find it. I have the option of "Details" or "Seats" but neither lists fare class. And when I got to Account Preferences, I no longer see an option to click Expert Mode.

Did UA disable this option?

Regards, John
Expert mode is still working for me. You MUST be fully logged in for it to work. Make sure you are fully signed in by signing out then signing in again. And it only displays when searching for a regular ticket, not an award ticket.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Well Expert Mode disappeared for me when I logged in this morning. I had to re-select this option, then no further issues. 😊
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:50 am

Special Preferences and Accommodations

Great! Yes, I found exactly your screenshot under "Special Preferences and Accommodations"

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.