Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Click on "Details" for each flight option.
The details for a nonstop flight on July 21 have 3 sets of codes : PQM, PQS, and PQD. So since there’s not anything like an XN4, that means this nonstop isn’t even available for 22.5k to Chase United Card holders ? What do these 3 codes mean and what do the 1707.5|0.5 before the $348 mean ? Thanks in advance for explaining this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coloradotraveler
The details for a nonstop flight on July 21 have 3 sets of codes : PQM, PQS, and PQD. So since there’s not anything like an XN4, that means this nonstop isn’t even available for 22.5k to Chase United Card holders ? What do these 3 codes mean and what do the 1707.5|0.5 before the $348 mean ? Thanks in advance for explaining this.
Look to the left. You should see "Available fare classes: J9 JN9 C9 D6 Z0... N9 XN0 X0." It's the XN number that you're looking for. It's zero here, which means that there is no 22.5K availability for credit card holders. You're looking for XN4 or higher.

You're looking at the information for premier qualification: premier qualifying miles, segments, and dollars. None of that matters when you're trying to book an award flight.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:23 am

Thank you! Either I needed to click down another level of details or they aren’t showing up, but now I know what to look for when I get back to my computer . I’m sure learning a lot on this forum :-)
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you! Either I needed to click down another level of details or they aren’t showing up, but now I know what to look for when I get back to my computer . I’m sure learning a lot on this forum :-)
If you can't see them, you don't have expert mode enabled. There's not another level of details.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you can't see them, you don't have expert mode enabled. There's not another level of details.
Or, you're not signed in. The details only appear when you're actively signed into the website.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Or, you're not signed in. The details only appear when you're actively signed into the website.
That, too
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:15 am

I just received my Chase United Explorer Mileage Plus card and if I understand the expert mode right, anything above a XN4 is an award travel flight ? Does this mean I should be able to get a nonstop from DEN to LIH on July 21 for 22.5k ? It has an available airfare code of XN9. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just received my Chase United Explorer Mileage Plus card and if I understand the expert mode right, anything above a XN4 is an award travel flight ? Does this mean I should be able to get a nonstop from DEN to LIH on July 21 for 22.5k ? It has an available airfare code of XN9. Thanks in advance for the help!
Yes, for as many as 9 passengers. (That's the 9 in XN9). That flight is XN9 X0, so as an Explorer cardmember, you have access to inventory that you wouldn't otherwise have.

Note that with United's new dynamic pricing, there's no longer an award chart, and they could decide that it's no longer 22.5K at any time. However, right now, you should be able to book it at that rate (I just checked).

What do you see when you try it?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:33 am

Yes, for as many as 9 passengers. (That's the 9 in XN9). That flight is XN9 X0, so as an Explorer cardmember, you have access to inventory that you wouldn't otherwise have.

Note that with United's new dynamic pricing, there's no longer an award chart, and they could decide that it's no longer 22.5K at any time. However, right now, you should be able to book it at that rate (I just checked).

What do you see when you try it?

jsloan even being logged in with my Mileage Plus account , which shows my two free club passes deposited into it, it shows that nonstop flight being 43k . What does it show for you ?

jsloan, you are logged in with your MileagePlus account and the nonstop from DEN to LIH on July 21 shows it as 22.5k?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 22, 2019 at 11:35 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jsloan even being logged in with my Mileage Plus account , which shows my two free club passes deposited into it, it shows that nonstop flight being 43k . What does it show for you ?
jsloan, you are logged in with your MileagePlus account and the nonstop from DEN to LIH on July 21 shows it as 22.5k?
Yes, it shows 22.5K for me. Perhaps your account isn't fully linked yet. I understand that it may take a few days.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:50 am

Awe that would make sense . I just got the card Friday . I’ll wait a few days but the fact I could get this nonstop flight for 22.5k, assuming it’s available by the time it’s linked, makes me so happy ! The weird thing is , below the departure time on that nonstop flight , it says “exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Chase Cardmember” but still shows 43k for the economy points .
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awe that would make sense . I just got the card Friday . I’ll wait a few days but the fact I could get this nonstop flight for 22.5k, assuming it’s available by the time it’s linked, makes me so happy ! The weird thing is , below the departure time on that nonstop flight , it says “exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Chase Cardmember” but still shows 43k for the economy points .
You're searching just for the nonstop, right? You're not connecting from somewhere else, like COS or HDN?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:13 am

You're searching just for the nonstop, right? You're not connecting from somewhere else, like COS or HDN?
Correct. We want the nonstop from DEN to LIH on or around July 21 that leaves a 11:43 am .
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct. We want the nonstop from DEN to LIH on or around July 21 that leaves a 11:43 am .
Silly question, but are you sure that you have the right date and city pair? Maybe something is left over from an old search? The flight on that date is at 11:35, not 11:43 (although, you may just have 43 on your mind).

I do see the 43K number when I am logged out. Here's what I see when I'm logged in, searching for four travelers:

It might be worth calling UA, telling them that you just got the Explorer card but the award pricing doesn't seem to be right, and seeing if they'll honor the lower rate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.