FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Club Premium Wines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1387215-united-club-premium-wines.html)

TimF1975 Sep 13, 2012 10:28 am

United Club Premium Wines

I couldn't find another thread like this. What premium wines have you had at United Clubs lately?

I had a glass of 2009 Stags Leap Artemis and 2008 Jordan Cab at the IAD last week. Both were good but I preferred the Jordan.

aacharya Sep 13, 2012 10:44 am

Originally Posted by TimF1975 (Post 19308387)
I couldn't find another thread like this. What premium wines have you had at United Clubs lately?

I had a glass of 2009 Stags Leap Artemis and 2008 Jordan Cab at the IAD last week. Both were good but I preferred the Jordan.

I've liked both the Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc and the Rombauer Chardonnay (too oaky for many, I know).

I don't tend to drink the reds or any brown liquor before flying - I prefer white wine and vodka drinks. I do think that with the $3 discount, the deals were pretty good, as it was almost two glasses worth of wine, and I can't drink the awful whites they pour for free.

halls120 Sep 13, 2012 10:54 am

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 19308481)
I've liked both the Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc and the Rombauer Chardonnay (too oaky for many, I know).

^^ to the Rombauer, and to the premium selection in general. An additional ^ to those who pour generously. ;)

TimF1975 Sep 13, 2012 10:54 am

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 19308481)

I don't tend to drink the reds or any brown liquor before flying - I prefer white wine and vodka drinks. I do think that with the $3 discount, the deals were pretty good, as it was almost two glasses worth of wine, and I can't drink the awful whites they pour for free.

I will try the Rombauer tonight. I do think at $9 it is a good deal -- or at least as good a deal you'll ever find in an airport. It's better wine and cheaper than what you find at Vino Volo. Just wish I could order some food with it...

Runnin' Gal Sep 13, 2012 10:57 am

What is the $3 discount to which you refer? I frequently buy the premium wine (either Cakebread or Conundrum when they have it). But, have never heard of a $3 discount. THank you.

Steve M Sep 13, 2012 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Runnin' Gal (Post 19308558)
What is the $3 discount to which you refer? I frequently buy the premium wine (either Cakebread or Conundrum when they have it). But, have never heard of a $3 discount. THank you.

$3 off if you use a Chase/United credit card to pay for it.

Weatherboy Sep 13, 2012 11:06 am

Pimm's Cup

I see the Pimm's Cup is offered at the Clubs now as a premium beverage ...has anyone had it?

It'd be nice if they could serve it in a Pimp Cup (favorite Archer line.)

TimF1975 Sep 13, 2012 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 19308614)
I see the Pimm's Cup is offered at the Clubs now as a premium beverage ...has anyone had it?

It'd be nice if they could serve it in a Pimp Cup (favorite Archer line.)

I asked one of the bartenders about it and they had no idea so I looked it up. From what I could gather, it's a gin/juice mix and popular in England. Never tried it.

aacharya Sep 13, 2012 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 19308568)
$3 off if you use a Chase/United credit card to pay for it.

Slight correction. Needs to be the UC or PP card.

Boghopper Sep 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by TimF1975 (Post 19308387)

I'm impressed, those are actually decent wines (better than the swill they served on my last F flight SFO-HKG and WAY better than anything I've seen on domestic flights. When I read the title I was ready to make some comment suggesting that "premium" is about as valid with UA these days as "premier" is.

love_to_travel Sep 13, 2012 1:00 pm

I seem to recall getting a $5 discount on a $12 glass of the Pinot Noir they serve at the United Club in LAX T7.

TimF1975 Sep 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Boghopper (Post 19309216)
I'm impressed, those are actually decent wines (better than the swill they served on my last F flight SFO-HKG and WAY better than anything I've seen on domestic flights. When I read the title I was ready to make some comment suggesting that "premium" is about as valid with UA these days as "premier" is.

The stemware is also very good IMHO. I don't think it's Riedel but it's pretty close and the bowls are very big. I like that they pour the wine into a carafe so you don't have to have it all in the glass at once.

slawecki Sep 13, 2012 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 19308998)
Slight correction. Needs to be the UC or PP card.

i presume a UC is some form of a united card. is that the united card from chase? what is a PP card? will they offer the $3 off if one requests that fine virginia cab?

kit125 Sep 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 19309578)
i presume a UC is some form of a united card. is that the united card from chase? what is a PP card?

PP=Presidential Plus Card. UC=United Club Card. Both are MC offered by Chase, with annual fees that include club membership.

I'm sitting at the club at LGA now. And I'm a big fan of the Artemis....even bigger fan of the discount with my PP card. ^

767400 Sep 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 19309578)
i presume a UC is some form of a united card. is that the united card from chase? what is a PP card? will they offer the $3 off if one requests that fine virginia cab?

United Club Card

Presidential Plus Card