Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US-Codeshare M fare, Y-Up?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

US-Codeshare M fare, Y-Up?

I found one fare from IAH-SFO-HKG in US codeshare that gives you M fare. I am wondering if you are going to be able to get instant Y-up if you put in the UA-1K number in the reservation after the ticket is confirmed. To my understanding, codeshare just doesn't matter, but it's a wonderful fare M because UA just gave V for the same route at the same price.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
I found one fare from IAH-SFO-HKG in US codeshare that gives you M fare. I am wondering if you are going to be able to get instant Y-up if you put in the UA-1K number in the reservation after the ticket is confirmed. To my understanding, codeshare just doesn't matter, but it's a wonderful fare M because UA just gave V for the same route at the same price.
Yes you should... once it's ticketed, pull it up at United.com, add your 1K number (if not already there), refresh the reservation, and click on the Premier Upgrade link that should appear. If there is space in the PN bucket you will clear instantly. When you book one of these at United.com the upgrade is automatic...if it's a code share you may need to do that manual process I just described.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Yes you should... once it's ticketed, pull it up at United.com, add your 1K number (if not already there), refresh the reservation, and click on the Premier Upgrade link that should appear. If there is space in the PN bucket you will clear instantly. When you book one of these at United.com the upgrade is automatic...if it's a code share you may need to do that manual process I just described.
Thank you, but does it really make sense if you can make Y-up work but not UDU work at the UA elite time frame before departure until you have to ask the agents to put you on the list? Well...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Thank you, but does it really make sense if you can make Y-up work but not UDU work at the UA elite time frame before departure until you have to ask the agents to put you on the list? Well...
No idea what your real question is here. UDU (now known as CPU) is completely different from the Y/B/M instant-upgrade fares. Those allow you space-available upgrades from a totally different bucket. Only when you get to the CPU windows does CPU matter. The fact that you might be missing from the airport upgrade list is separate from enjoying an immediate upgrade on an M fare as a 1K if PN is available.

-RM
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - And more importantly, if you are outside the GS CPU window and there's PN, a 1K in Y/B/M can obtain an UG ahead of an already booked GS. On elite-heavy IAH-SFO, that's a real benefit.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: United
Kind of similar, but if you cross 1K on the outbound part of a roundtrip, can you call or upgrade via the website for the return if booked in M?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wwu123
Kind of similar, but if you cross 1K on the outbound part of a roundtrip, can you call or upgrade via the website for the return if booked in M?
as soon as the system shows you as 1K you can use 1K services. Should not be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.