Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CLE airfares way up?..... Impact from United, merger?

CLE airfares way up?..... Impact from United, merger?

Old Sep 14, 12, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA-Silver, HHonors-Gold, Marriott-Plat
What is driving me crazy is seeing significant flight savings by routing PIT-CLE-XXX versus CLE-XXX. I can drive to PIT and fly back to CLE and then on to my destination much cheaper than just the CLE-XXX segment.

There are a few other example other than PIT, but that is the one that comes to mind most often.
Old Sep 14, 12, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by karch View Post
What is driving me crazy is seeing significant flight savings by routing PIT-CLE-XXX versus CLE-XXX. I can drive to PIT and fly back to CLE and then on to my destination much cheaper than just the CLE-XXX segment.

There are a few other example other than PIT, but that is the one that comes to mind most often.
Supply and demand - look at an NYC-IAH ticket versus one that connects in IAH to OMA, SAT, OKC or the like and you'll be amazed at the price spread
Old Sep 14, 12, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by GoBucks27 View Post
Finding CLE airfares significantly higher compared to surrounding airport options: CMH, DTW, CAK.

Started to see trend late 2010/early 2011 when UNITED and CO began to integrate their flight lanes. "Hearding" CLE through ORD began.

Also find UNITED is more expensive out of CLE than other carriers out of CLE. USAir in particular.

Next week I chose DELTA out of CAK versus UNITED out of CLE; saved $475.
This, to a destination I had flown forever from CLE on CONTINENTAL.

CAK, CMH, DTW range from 1 hr 40 minute to 2 hr 15 minute drive for me.
CLE just under an hour drive. Have always prefered CLE.

Never found myself on a UNITED flight due to higher fares.
Post merger, seems trending same.

What gives????
For several years, long before the merger, the price conscious were driving to PIT, CAK, CMH and for those on the far west side DTW. Yes, fares are up at CLE, but the driving is nothing new - except perhaps who is doing it.

Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
Well, I hope UA does not make the mistake DL did with CVG [and it was before they merged with NW] and that hub was much bigger than CLE.
I am affraid that UA is already doing so. Its not the first time that UA is reducing CLE. We no longer have CO providing service bigtime in CLE because they needed a greatlakes hub. While the boys from Houston may be at the top, their hearts and bottom lines are more concerned with ORD than CLE.

Originally Posted by TA View Post
Companies that care so much that CAK is a bit cheaper are not important to United. Those passengers are buying cheapo fares, and can be replaced by the next BIS that comes along.
It depends where the company is located. CLE is not simply Cleveland's airprot, but the natural airport for the entire region from Ashtabula to Sandusky to Akron. A great deal of corporate Cleveland has already removed itself to the distant suburbs. Firms in Twinsburg, Aurura, and even Medina that might not even consider CAK because their hearts are in Cleveland really have little geographic reason not to consider CAK. Not to metion those in Akron who for years have been driving to CLE because of nonstop offering but don't do so as much anymore because of UA reduction in service at CLE.

This is typical of fortress airports. When US held PIT as a fortress, one could fly US CLE-PIT-XXX for much less than US PIT-XXX.
Old Sep 14, 12, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
CLE airfares have really gotten outrageous, especially for leisure travelers..
CLE-MCI used to have a $200-$250 leisure fare, now it starts at $526.
CLE-LAX used to have a $250-$350 leisure fare, now it starts at $520.

Etc, etc.
Old Sep 14, 12, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold

It's not a cost-plus business model. There's a lot of one stop competition from PIT; not a lot of nonstop competition from CLE.
Old Sep 14, 12, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
Well, I hope UA does not make the mistake DL did with CVG [and it was before they merged with NW] and that hub was much bigger than CLE.

No competition does not mean you can charge ludricious fares. Above average sure, but over the top nope. Companies WILL and DO force people to fly into alternate airports and drive 2 hours if the difference in airfare is significant.

That is what happened with CVG, many business travelers were forced to fly into SDF, IND, or DAY and drive. DL's actions in CVG costed DL hundreds of millions in revenue when they started seeing contracts being terminated, O/D traffic dropping sharply, etc. Then the hub became unprofitable. I have witnessed it first hand with CVG and others have said the same thing, and now UA is repeating history with CLE.

Flew through CVG a several months ago, and the emptiness gave the terminal a very eerie feeling. Like a ghost airport. I think traffic is down 40% in the last 2 years.
Old Sep 17, 12, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Perhaps some competition to United coming to CLE:
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/...pkins-1.335323
Frontier Airlines leaving Akron-Canton Airport, moving to Cleveland Hopkins

The move is a consolidation of operations and an opportunity to gain a new market, said Lindsey Carpenter, a Frontier spokeswoman.

Frontier already operates two charter flights to Cancun, Mexico, and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, out of Hopkins, Carpenter said.

“There are some cost savings. Hopkins doesn’t have low-fare service to Denver in the West,” Carpenter said.

And while Southwest Airlines flies out of both Hopkins and Akron-Canton, it does not have a Denver nonstop out of Hopkins, Carpenter said.

Hopkins spokeswoman Jackie Mayo said United Airlines flies three times a day to Denver from Cleveland.
Old Sep 17, 12, 7:10 pm
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm View Post
We need a "This Doesn't Sound Good for CAK" thread.
Old Sep 17, 12, 7:14 pm

national airfares

have you checked airfares nation wide??

they are up across the board--high oil prices and fewer flights less airlines
(if Us/AA combine it will be even worse)

note 2 of the last five national hikes have been lead by SW

this is not just related to CLE
Old Sep 17, 12, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by trk1 View Post

+1

Ex SYD fares on UA just jumped $250 across the board
UA just went from being the cheapest (which they should be based on Hard/Soft product) to most expensive for any direct carrier SYD->LAX...
Old Sep 17, 12, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
We need a "This Doesn't Sound Good for CAK" thread.
Sorry, man. That one probably hurts you a bit.

But I'm 10 min from CLE and an hour from CAK (n/w cleveland). I'm really hub captive and can use at least some semblance of an alternative......or at least could use UA *thinking* I have an alternative.
Old Sep 18, 12, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K on United; MARR = PLAT; HIL = DIA; Avis = First; NAT = Ex Elite
Originally Posted by trk1 View Post

My comparisons are related to CLE and comparing to local outbound options.:

1.) CLE is much higher than CMH, DTW, & CAK, which are airports within driving range for me.
- CLE 1 hr
- DTW 1hr 35 min
- CAK 1 hr 45 min
- CMH 2 hr 5 min

2.) United is highest from any location with each comparison

Yesterday i chose my travel for 9/24-28 and USAir won with a fare of $391 out of CLE
Closest United could get from any of the 4 airports I mentioned was $752.
DL came in at $419.
Chose USAir out of CLE to at least continue work on hitting PLAT Status again.

Flying DL this week from CAK.
Old Sep 18, 12, 10:33 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, Hilton D, Mariott/SPG Plat Elite, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Plat, Amex Plat
FL (now WN) just started CAK-DEN service, which was F9's route. So it makes sense F9 is moving to CLE, where there isn't any CLE-DEN service outside of UA's sky-high prices, often on 70 seat RJ aircraft.
Old Sep 18, 12, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
FL (now WN) just started CAK-DEN service, which was F9's route. So it makes sense F9 is moving to CLE, where there isn't any CLE-DEN service outside of UA's sky-high prices, often on 70 seat RJ aircraft.
I am not sure what you are trying to get at. F9 is unrealated to WN. WN purchased FL (not F9), but has not yet merged the operations.
Old Sep 18, 12, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
I don't know that this will make UA lower fares by much. It's an alternating days schedule.

The Denver-to-Cleveland flights will operate Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday, leaving at 4:30 p.m. and arriving at 9:20 p.m.

The Cleveland-to-Denver flights will operate Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, leaving at 5:50 p.m. and arriving at 7:20 p.m.
USA3000 used to run an alternating days schedule CLE-RSW with cheapo $99 fares. They're now out of business...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: