Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Export to Outloook" now "Export to Calendar"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

New website and outlook / calendar events

I know this is a minor annoyance, but I don't understand why the new website downgraded the calendar export feature.

On the old website, if you "exported to calendar", a calendar file (.vcs) was generated that listed your flight as a calendar event, and flight details in the information.

It was a hassle to have to download four separate files for each segment in a typical trip, but at least they added to the calendar the way you'd expect them to.

The new "export to outlook" function generates an calendar entry that consists of a single long "event" beginning the moment your first flight departs and ends when your final flight touches down.

Is it just me who hates this? It makes it difficult for my spouse to see my flight details, it clogs up my calendar, it's just brain dead.
Old May 2, 2012, 6:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by user999991
I know this is a minor annoyance, but I don't understand why the new website downgraded the calendar export feature.

On the old website, if you "exported to calendar", a calendar file (.vcs) was generated that listed your flight as a calendar event, and flight details in the information.

It was a hassle to have to download four separate files for each segment in a typical trip, but at least they added to the calendar the way you'd expect them to.

The new "export to outlook" function generates an calendar entry that consists of a single long "event" beginning the moment your first flight departs and ends when your final flight touches down.

Is it just me who hates this? It makes it difficult for my spouse to see my flight details, it clogs up my calendar, it's just brain dead.
yeah, a few of us have commented on this. Based on a response in one of those threads, I have used Tripit to generate the old style calendar enteries.

You email your itin to Tripit and it creates an Outlook calendar that can be copied to your normal Outlook calendar.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18226505-post2272.html
Old May 4, 2012, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

WC, hope you mean Napa but we got you beat in the Willamette Valley!

Thanks for the tip. I've heard about TripIt, guess it's time to start using it. My spouse really likes the calendar entries.
Old May 4, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
maybe i'm in the minority, but i actually prefer the single long entry. in outlook it defaults to "busy" so what i like is that it blocks out the entire trip in my calendar so i don't have to manually do it. i used to get the multiple entries for just the flights and i'd always forget to block out the duration of the trip and of course i'd then still get double booked from coworkers who don't know i'm traveling. now it's just blocked out busy and i've actually always like it done this way. as for the actual flight, i just usually always know when it is in my head. not to mention the T-24 OLCI email reminds me the day before. i never had outlook remind me i had a flight and thought "oh, i completely forgot about that!"
Old May 4, 2012, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I could never download the return trip, I would always get an error with the start time is after the end time.

Tripit pro for use on the road, and blackberry travel for use in the office.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM

Anybody else notice that the "Export to Outlook" now reads "Export to Calendar"?

This appears when looking at the details of your reservation. Something changed, as I went in to save an itinerary to my outlook today and it saves differently.... the functionality is slightly different.

wonder why?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are many other calendaring systems besides Outlook out there; makes sense to not name that one.

As for the different functionality, I believe it now only marks the actual flight times rather than the whole trip duration. This was an oft-requested change around here and most welcome IMO.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA-Premier, Avis-Prefered, USA Hockey Referee-Level 3
Anyone having trouble importing the calendar into Google Calendar? I've tried but get an error message

"Import calendar Processed zero events.

Failed to import events: Unable to process your iCal/CSV file..

Error at line 25: null"

Looking this up in Google Calendar help seems to indicate that iCal files aren't supported. Worth an email to UA about this?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It's different functionality, but in my mind, works a lot better with Outlook if you use the right procedure. Instead of opening the vcs file directly in Outlook, save the file, then import the items into Outlook. This will result in having an individual appointment for each flight.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Indy Racer
Anyone having trouble importing the calendar into Google Calendar? I've tried but get an error message

"Import calendar Processed zero events.

Failed to import events: Unable to process your iCal/CSV file..

Error at line 25: null"

Looking this up in Google Calendar help seems to indicate that iCal files aren't supported. Worth an email to UA about this?

I find that the mobile app works great for this. I have my google calendar synced to my phone and it's literally just the push of a button to add the flight.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:19 pm

I've found that the latest Android version of the app is missing the "Add to Calendar" feature. Anybody else having this issue?

It was a great feature...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:39 pm

I was told that the add to calendar feature in the Android Version of the Mobile App will be coming back.

Apparently people complained about the permissions that the app required for the add to calendar function, so UA is looking at another way to implement that feature.

Dan
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
"Export to Calendar" website feature bug

Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with the "export to calendar" feature on the UA website. Until recently, clicking the "export" link would launch a calendar event which could then be saved to Outlook. Now, clicking that link creates a new calendar within Outlook. I obviously don't want to create a whole new calendar for every trip I take....I just want to add the flights to my main calendar.

It's very possible I'm doing something wrong so I'm looking for feedback. Is anyone else having the same problem??
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Steve GadFly
.......I just want to add the flights to my main calendar. ...
drag the item from the "new" calendar" to your preferred calendar. Then delete the "new" calendar.

Not sure why this has been implemented this way but the previous calendar was useless so this is at least a step in the right direction.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
drag the item from the "new" calendar" to your preferred calendar. Then delete the "new" calendar.

Not sure why this has been implemented this way but the previous calendar was useless so this is at least a step in the right direction.
Thanks....I'll give that a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.