Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Flying LHR to LAX in Dec on a basic economy ticket. I know that this fare does not include checked baggage free and I am expecting to pay to check 1 bag, possibly 2. My question is - is the hand baggage allowance 1 cabin bag and a personal item or just 1 cabin bag?
UA doesn’t — yet — have Basic Economy on LHR-LAX. They have Economy Light, which includes a regular size carry-on bag plus a personal item.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by jsloan

UA doesn’t — yet — have Basic Economy on LHR-LAX. They have Economy Light, which includes a regular size carry-on bag plus a personal item.
Fab! Thank you!
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am having a problem buying a cabin bag that fits UAs criteria of 9" x 14" x 22". British baggage sellers cater to the Ryanair, Easyjet and BA crowd and have bags that are typically 2 inches wider than permitted.

I am really flummoxed on what to do. Do I buy these slightly larger bags and hope that UA don't notice or something else I'm not thinking of?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I am having a problem buying a cabin bag that fits UAs criteria of 9" x 14" x 22". British baggage sellers cater to the Ryanair, Easyjet and BA crowd and have bags that are typically 2 inches wider than permitted.

I am really flummoxed on what to do. Do I buy these slightly larger bags and hope that UA don't notice or something else I'm not thinking of?
i've never had a problem carrying the slightly larger bag on ua....
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you buy the larger bag, you'll probably be ok, but you'll run the risk of being forced to check your bag on every flight you take, as it won't fit into the baggage sizer. While some agents routinely ignore passengers who appear to want to take the entire contents of their closet onto the plane, others seem to pride themselves on their eagle-eyed ability to spot oversized bags.

I'd check online sales; while you may have to pay a little extra for postage, it would be less than the cost of a bag fee if you ran into an agent intent upon enforcing the bag rules, and that's without even counting the peace of mind from not having to worry about getting stopped. There's a thread on this board that lists specific models that are known to fit in the sizer.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you buy the larger bag, you'll probably be ok, but you'll run the risk of being forced to check your bag on every flight you take, as it won't fit into the baggage sizer. While some agents routinely ignore passengers who appear to want to take the entire contents of their closet onto the plane, others seem to pride themselves on their eagle-eyed ability to spot oversized bags.

I'd check online sales; while you may have to pay a little extra for postage, it would be less than the cost of a bag fee if you ran into an agent intent upon enforcing the bag rules, and that's without even counting the peace of mind from not having to worry about getting stopped. There's a thread on this board that lists specific models that are known to fit in the sizer.
that's the thing, I can't find an online retailer that supplies to UK addresses in the size I want. Part of me is like, I'll toss it all in a grocery bag and have done with it.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that's the thing, I can't find an online retailer that supplies to UK addresses in the size I want. Part of me is like, I'll toss it all in a grocery bag and have done with it.
Hmm, that's odd. Perhaps the manufacturer can ship them directly? Or maybe a local retailer can do a special order for you? There are enough UK-US flights that you'd think somebody must sell US-carrier compliant bags. ;-) (UA, DL, and AA all have identical limits).

If you go the grocery bag approach, you could also think about buying the bag in the US when you arrive. That way the grocery bag only has to last for one set of flights.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
A friend is flying AAA-BBB-FRA-DEL on a business class award ticket issued by United. The last two segments on LH business class. But AAA-BBB is in United economy. I think they get 2 x 50 lb bags because they are business on the TATL, but the website baggage calculator shows just 1 bag. Is that a glitch?

They have no status.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: SQ, QR, TP, Hilton
*A G 70lbs?

Was it always 70lbs for partner *A G checked bags?

The United’s website, it states
https://www.united.com/en/us/baggage...tor/my-flights

Weight limits by MileagePlus status
MileagePlus status Maximum weight per bag
Premier Silver
Premier Gold
Premier Platinum
Premier 1K®
Star Alliance™ Gold
70 pounds (32 kilograms)

iirc it was 50lbs previously?
Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hayslaunce
Was it always 70lbs for partner *A G checked bags?
iirc it was 50lbs previously?
you are correct, it was
UA *G Benefit changed: Only 1 Free 50 lb Bag on Domestic, +1 International
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: SQ, QR, TP, Hilton
yeah I tested it last week in vegas, its quite iffy. Turns out its so new that UA staff didn’t even know about it and the self check in kiosk didn’t recognise it as 70lbs too.

The self check kiosk asked me to pay, the agent ask me to pay too until I showed them UA's site. I've no idea what magic the agent did, but it got waived. seems very YMMV.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Sorry, basic question but the Lufthansa baggage calculator doesn't work.

What is my checked bag allowance:
outbound: DXB-FRA-DEN-XXX(U.S.), operated by LH/UA/UA
inbound: XXX(U.S.)-FRA-DXB, operated by LH/LH

Paid business class, I am UA 1P, itinerary all on one 016 ticket?

Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mecabq
Sorry, basic question but the Lufthansa baggage calculator doesn't work.

What is my checked bag allowance:
outbound: DXB-FRA-DEN-XXX(U.S.), operated by LH/UA/UA
inbound: XXX(U.S.)-FRA-DXB, operated by LH/LH

Paid business class, I am UA 1P, itinerary all on one 016 ticket?

Thanks.
UA ticket does not matter (unless first flight from DXB is UA codeshare and the answer is the same)
LH Business Class is 2 x 32 Kg
With *G (assume you mean UA Gold), you get +1

So 3 bags up to 32 Kg each

Probably a better question for LH forum
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA ticket does not matter (unless first flight from DXB is UA codeshare and the answer is the same)
LH Business Class is 2 x 32 Kg
With *G (assume you mean UA Gold), you get +1

So 3 bags up to 32 Kg each

Probably a better question for LH forum
Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:54 pm

Hi all, I'm really confused on my baggage allowance on my upcoming trip. Leave May 7: IDA-DEN (UA); DEN-FRA (LH), FRA-MRU (LH). Return Jun 2: MRU-FRA (LH), FRA-DEN (UA), DEN-IDA (UA).
My reservation on the united website states the following for my baggage allowance. I'm confused why I will have to pay $100 for my second checked bag on my return trip. I do have an overnight layover in FRA on my return trip if that's the reason?

First and second baggage service charges per traveler First bag Second bag Weight per bag
Sat, May 7, 2022
Idaho Falls, ID, US (IDA) to Mauritius, MU (MRU) $0 per person $0 per person (50lbs)

Thu, Jun 2, 2022
Mauritius, MU (MRU) to Idaho Falls, ID, US (IDA) $0 per person $100 per person (50lbs)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.