Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Krischey
Or just for the FRA-ORD leg?

Thanks
Yup, just the 3 70lbs for the UA leg. Your LH flight will be eactly as you wrote with the *A extra
EDIT: If you are flying LH business I think you are allowed 2 bags normal plus one extra for *G.

Last edited by AZjohns; Sep 21, 2012 at 3:28 am
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:39 am

Programs: MR-Platinum, HH-Diamond, MileagePlus 1K, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by AZjohns
Yup, just the 3 70lbs for the UA leg. Your LH flight will be eactly as you wrote with the *A extra
EDIT: If you are flying LH business I think you are allowed 2 bags normal plus one extra for *G.
Thanks LH Business inter-europe USED to be on a weight basis (somehow LH still keeps this on their website for tickets issued BEFORE 12/31/09, no sure why). You are correct, 2 bags + 1 for *G up to 32kg each.

Appreciate the help! Now my cases of beer will be able to travel with me!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
I was in this situation many times when my first inter european flight was on LH and as FTL or *G I was given only 2 bags free.
seems that they do not respect the 3 bags always....
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Krischey
Appreciate the help! Now my cases of beer will be able to travel with me!
Here's to hoping none of them explode when the bag handlers start throwing them around with the luggage
Old Sep 21, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
You'll get what is says on LH's website. The MSC rule doesn't apply when going in/out of the US - even then they don't always subscribe to the MSC rule.

Source: had to pay $150USD for a single 28kg bag when they woulda given me 2x 23kg bags for free on a recent LH JED->FRA connecting to UA FRA->EWR. As a side note I find it annoying when I like to carry one checked bag at 28kg and they charge me for that, but will let me on with 2x23 = 46kg for free...
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:35 am

Baggage fee on separate PNR's

Yet another baggage fee question.

My in laws are travelling LAS-LAX-PVG. LAX-PVG is in first on an award tix, but LAS-LAX is Y on a paid ticket. How will the bag fees be applied? I assume they will still be able to check their bags to PVG?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:54 pm

$70 for 2nd bag on domestic flights of JFK-ORD-NRT ticket?

I'm a little confused about UA's baggage fees.

I have a JFK-ORD-NRT ticket. Staying in Chicago for 5 days before taking
the ORD-NRT flight. The e-ticket receipt shows $0 for 1st bag and $70 for
second, for all flights. If I want to check a 2nd bag on just the JFK-ORD
flight, I need to pay $70? Wouldn't I be better off just shipping the bag
with UPS or FedEx Ground?(which quoted me $23, based on weight/size)
The 2nd bag is mostly books/clothes that I'm carrying from NY to Chicago
for my niece.

Is there anyway around this? I do not have any status on any *A carrier
and my company didn't give me a choice of carriers.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MissyH
I'm a little confused about UA's baggage fees.

I have a JFK-ORD-NRT ticket. Staying in Chicago for 5 days before taking
the ORD-NRT flight. The e-ticket receipt shows $0 for 1st bag and $70 for
second, for all flights. If I want to check a 2nd bag on just the JFK-ORD
flight, I need to pay $70? Wouldn't I be better off just shipping the bag
with UPS or FedEx Ground?(which quoted me $23, based on weight/size)
The 2nd bag is mostly books/clothes that I'm carrying from NY to Chicago
for my niece.

Is there anyway around this? I do not have any status on any *A carrier
and my company didn't give me a choice of carriers.
You could very well be better off having the bag shipped. Or just pack it in a box since it's going UPS or FedEX.

If you weren't going on to NRT, you'd be paying for the first bag as well. You only get the first one free (economy ticket, no status, etc) because it's an international itinerary.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:28 am
Suspended

Your UA ticket tells you how many bags you can check-in for free. There is no ambiguity there.
Why do you want to find "a way around it" and prepare an argument with the check-in agent?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
GPU and baggage allowance

I'm taking only my third/fourth UA flight when I go to SYD in January and have a question about GPUs and baggage allowances.

Our company's contract with UA gives the travel department x number of GPUs to use on employees throughout the year and my boss authorized it for my trip, which is BOI-SFO-SYD.

The SFO-SYD leg cleared and I am confirmed in BusinessFirst (and I snagged the upper deck which always makes me happy ).

The BOI-SFO leg has not yet cleared.

The baggage allowance showing on the itinerary at united.com is still the international economy baggage allowance. Is that correct or am I entitled to have 3 x 70 lbs because I am confirmed in BusinessFirst?

Calling United did not help at all. The women simply confirmed that the upgrade cleared for SFO-SYD, didn't understand the baggage question and then the call "disconnected".
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by croberts134
... The baggage allowance showing on the itinerary at united.com is still the international economy baggage allowance. Is that correct or am I entitled to have 3 x 70 lbs because I am confirmed in BusinessFirst? ....
you will be 3x70
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus, *A
Premier Silver Fly on Award Ticket Purchased by Parents

Hello All,
My parents use their miles to purchase award ticket for me. On UA website, my reservation info shows I have to pay 1st check-in luggage for this flight.

Questions:
1. As I have Premier Silver status, should I got exemption from 1st luggage fee?
2. What is UA phone number or best contact option to clarify this luggage fee issue? Only "Ask Alex" is available on UA website but Alex did not really help.

Thanks in advance for all input.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wahs
Hello All,
My parents use their miles to purchase award ticket for me. On UA website, my reservation info shows I have to pay 1st check-in luggage for this flight.

Questions:
1. As I have Premier Silver status, should I got exemption from 1st luggage fee?
2. What is UA phone number or best contact option to clarify this luggage fee issue? Only "Ask Alex" is available on UA website but Alex did not really help.

Thanks in advance for all input.
Change the FF number on your reservation to yours. Right now it is your parents' FF number - that's why.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus, *A
Originally Posted by aacharya
Change the FF number on your reservation to yours. Right now it is your parents' FF number - that's why.
Thanks, aacharya!
I changed FF no to mine, and received e-mail showing free 1st luggage fee.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, PC
Minimizing bag charges with United Explorer card

New to United and the MP Explorer card.

Here is my situation:

4 passengers.
Domestic flights BNA-JAC-BNA
Award tickets on same itinerary. 37,500/pax. Miles are in Chase UR now so I can xfer to 2 separate MP accts if needed.
I have Explorer card.
No one has status.
None of the other 3 pax have Explorer card.
Everyone needs 2 checked bags because of fishing rods.
My wife also has Explorer card but is not traveling.

Terms of Explorer card say that if ticket is paid for with Explorer card, then 1st traveler and up to one companion get 1st bag free. This would save $50/roundtrip/person, or $200 if we could stretch it to all 4 pax.

Question is, should I transfer 75K UR to my wife, and 75K to me, book 2 pax under each account, and pay the $10/pax/award fees separately with her card ($20) and my card ($20). Would this get all 4 passengers the $50 RT savings?

Or would it be best to book the tickets now, 2 and 2, and then order an AU card for one pax who is on the other record locator so that he can show the United Explorer card at check in and ask for the free bags?

Does the United Explorer card used at purchase have to match name and MP acct of one of the pax?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.