UA sends a fill-in-the-blank apology letter

Old Oct 4, 14, 5:52 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
I once received a resume with the cover letter addressed as "To Whom It May Concern"
About a week later, the recent grad who penned that letter called to ask if we were hiring.
I asked him who he sent the letter to and he actually said "To Whom it May Concern"

I said "Unfortunately, she quit last week". He didn't get it.
He indeed didn't get it, and several other things. Ouch. In my old age, though, I take the time to tell young people what they are doing wrong on job hunting when this happens.
Old Oct 5, 14, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Dear Ernest, you and the Hiney family are invited to...
Be sure and bring all the cute little Hineys. We'd love to see them come out.

Originally Posted by celsius1939 View Post
We all know that airlines send out boiler plate. Some do it better than others. One thing we do know -- United is a joke.
Sure, everyone uses templates, but this incident has blown up because it fits so perfectly into the United meta-narrative, e.g. here's a company that regards its pesky customers as anonymous irritants to be fobbed off with insincere gobbledegook. This resonates because it seems to prove what people already suspect about UA.

If Greyhound or Dollar Rent-a-Car had done this it wouldn't be nearly as big a story. (BTW, I had a customer service email response from Dollar this week and it was clearly, thoroughly original, non-templated writing... and directly addressed my concern. To them, at least, I do not appear to be "Mr. Human.")
Old Oct 5, 14, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Dear Sir, Madam, Fill in the Blank

We all know that it's not just UA, although they are clearly leading the race to the bottom. Posting the various episodes of UA letters here gives us all a chuckle, a few moments of eye-rolling, but does nothing to resolve their corporate philosophy.

I've recently sent messages with crew compliments to the carrier I fly 95% of the time. Given how much people complain about everything - especially as it relates to flying - I feel it is really important to let people know when their service is excellent.

This is the auto-reply I received and of course, have heard nothing since. It isn't about me, it is about making sure those who are the shining stars up at 35,000 are at least told that they are appreciated, not just with a quick thank-you when leaving the aircraft.

Thank you for contacting us.

This is to confirm that we have received your correspondence and there is no requirement to re-submit your information. Our processing time is currently 15 business days for general customer concerns, 20 business days for baggage related issues and up to 4 weeks for baggage tracing. We will make every effort to respond sooner.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as you await our response.

***Please do not reply to this email, it is an automated response.***

END QUOTE

Baggage tracing?
Yes, apparently auto-bot confuses a compliment with a luggage complaint. Have not heard anything since.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: