Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Expert Mode" Changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
100%, FT people just don't get it and need to move on.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Did anyone see this article in the Chicago Tribune?

The business travelers - the over-entitled ones - are going elsewhere. As stated in article:

United said last week its share of lucrative corporate fliers has been less than it expected because of problems resulting from the blending of operational systems from United and Continental following their merger.

More like problems resulting from how they are treating their best passengers. Don't be fooled for one minute, Smisek is looking out only for himself. He does not care about anyone else. It's all about him and his bonus. The mentality starts at the top and trickles down to everyone.

I will bet they joke about us during their meetings and dinners - I can see it now. To them, we are all over-entitled. The CFO blurted out EXACTLY what the management thinks, it wasn't a mistake.

If this continues, I can't imagine why any premium passenger would stick around. Someone made a comment about being at the gate, on a couple of flights, when they called GS and 1K for boarding, he noticed there were none....anyone notice the same thing? Just curious if they are going elsewhere.
It actually appears to be a Reuters piece, but my favorite part was:

Delta Air Lines Inc., United's closest competitor, said Wednesday that its passenger revenue rose 4 percent last month, helped by stable demand and an uptick in higher-paying business travelers.

Not that DL has earned any admirers recently with the stealth award charge changes and AwardWallet blocking...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
It actually appears to be a Reuters piece, but my favorite part was:

Delta Air Lines Inc., United's closest competitor, said Wednesday that its passenger revenue rose 4 percent last month, helped by stable demand and an uptick in higher-paying business travelers.
United, if the high-rollers are leaving you for Delta, that's really gotta hurt.

(And as an aside, let me just say how much I like the FT "ignore" feature.)
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Asuka
Oh, we get it. That's why we're angry.

Never in the history of this forum has there been such swift, broad agreement about a customer-hostile change, one that was clearly made at a time designed to minimize the PR damage. A notable proportion of the posts here are from "non-FTers" -- everyday high-status UA flyers who were also in disbelief at UA's lack of regard for their customer base and registered with FT just to note their disapproval here.

Believe me, the hundreds of us who posted here get it. I'm sorry if that continues to confound you.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi njcommodore, I was going to post just this as a reminder this morning, but, you've beaten me to it. I don't expect everyone here will believe me, but, the intent was not to take away the ability to see if upgrade space is available or not when purchasing. This is valuable information. Checking the "MileagePlus Upgrade Award" box on the advance search page isn't the most intuitive way we can do this, but, it is the current way to get to this information when booking.

Shannon
I question whether this was actually accounted for by United or, instead, whether you saw it posted on this thread and decided to pretend United was aware of the work-around. By "you," I am referring to United Airlines... I know you're probably just posting what you're told to post.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
I understand your stance, don't understand your delivery...change happens when one person stands up for something and then more and more follow. This thread, and this site, is feedback.

United, one would think, would be using FT as a valuable tool to gauge feedback on whatever decisions they make. Yes, United is a business, etc., but there's one principle that hasnt changed the moment man, in a free market, began trading and eventually using currency: the customer is #1. You can't forget your customer in a buy/sell/make money equation.

There will be business cases one day about Smisek and what NOT to do. He must have sold the "we have to swallow the bitter pill" story to the board. The company will be more efficient and leaner this way, by washing out the over-entitled, making $$ on nickle and diming the kettles and selling to high-paying full fare customers who may not care about awards and the such. There's no other way to explain all these non-customer friendly decisions.

Only time will tell. But the more complaining on here, the greater the chance of UA changing policy.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Believe me, the hundreds of us who posted here get it. I'm sorry if that continues to confound you.
Which are 1% of United customer base.

PLEASE wake up and smell the roses, this thread will not change anything.

United, one would think, would be using FT as a valuable tool to gauge feedback on whatever decisions they make. Yes, United is a business, etc., but there's one principle that hasnt changed the moment man, in a free market, began trading and eventually using currency: the customer is #1. You can't forget your customer in a buy/sell/make money equation.
United can, with contracts to fly people they make money, sure they use us for feedback, but we are not going to change Kettles getting on a plane for a cheaper price or TOD for the short term profit.

UA is in shrink mode, smaller planes, pack them to the full, nothing we like, but they are running an airline.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 12, 2012 at 6:55 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I understand your stance, don't understand your delivery...change happens when one person stands up for something and then more and more follow. This thread, and this site, is feedback.

There will be business cases one day about Smisek and what NOT to do. He must have sold the "we have to swallow the bitter pill" story to the board. The company will be more efficient and leaner this way, by washing out the over-entitled, making $$ on nickle and diming the kettles and selling to high-paying full fare customers who may not care about awards and the such. There's no other way to explain all these non-customer friendly decisions.

Only time will tell. But the more complaining on here, the greater the chance of UA changing policy.

Not when 85-95% of the things people complain about are hyperboles or rumors. If FT was used to provide constructive criticism on real issues (like this) instead of saying everything is terrible, then UA would listen I'm sure.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:43 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
PLEASE wake up and smell the roses, this thread will not change anything.
Perhaps not on the new UA. The old UA was fairly good about backing off a significant portion of changes which were poorly received on FT. Other posters upthread have cited several such examples.

We've even had a few, very small such changes made in response to FT complaints post-3/3, like the resumption of correct great circle mileages (remember the uproar over Jeffy's shrinking the globe?). Perhaps you buy the explanation that this was "a different GCM calculation," but as many people pointed out on FT, that didn't pass the sniff test given the way cities like DEN suddenly got closer to both coasts. There was a FT uproar which was picked up, after several days, by the broader travel press, UA got a black eye, and UA backed off.

But if you're so upset by people complaining about a change they don't like, just don't read the thread! (Or put all the posters on your ignore list if you prefer.)
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Fair enough, but you won't get revenue buckets off the website.
Those are available for free, too.

In their response to the court, United showed they just don't care.
Actually, I believe they showed that your claim lacked standing since you haven't demonstrated injury. And, my personal favorite line,
Finally, Lagen complains that all MileagePlus members can now more easily attain Million Mile flyer status due to the recent program changes (id. ¶ 28), putting Lagen in the curious position of bringing a consumer class action by arguing that United has made the program more consumer friendly.

Last edited by sbm12; Sep 12, 2012 at 5:01 pm
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:04 pm

I thought that "being professional" is what United supposed to do ...

While I don't like the change..

I find the FT community on this thread less than professional.

Like it or not UA is a business, suck it up or move on, if you are here to whinge and complain, it's not going make UA change their stance on the issue.

Just get over it and move on, personally I'm sick of reading all the nonsense crap from posters on this issue.

Get over it, it's here, has happened, deal with it, rather than act like a bunch of cry babies.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:23 pm
In Memorium

Programs: UA 1K-3.5MM; AA Exec. Plat.; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Platinum
What if we posted our complaints to twitter: @united

Perhaps there might be some further discussion from UA if we posted our complaints firectly to UA to Twitter: @united.

In the pool of 145,000+ followers of UAL on Twitter I am sure are a significant number of mainstream journalists that would notice over 1,000 tweets from a company's most loyal customers.

And whether or not this decision gets fixed or not, I do believe that if you don't like something, speak up! We are argue all day whether or not UAL cares about us or not, but they are in the business of making money and if they feel that bad PR and loyal FT posters moving away from them are going to hurt their bottom line they will be forced to take notice.

And then, maybe next time (?), consult some of the top tier flyers before implementing such a change?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:38 pm

that is a cool idea
so if someone comes up with a cool (clever and to the point) tweet, we will all do it together, should get the message out loud a clear

Originally Posted by SteveDCA
Perhaps there might be some further discussion from UA if we posted our complaints firectly to UA to Twitter: @united.

In the pool of 145,000+ followers of UAL on Twitter I am sure are a significant number of mainstream journalists that would notice over 1,000 tweets from a company's most loyal customers.

And whether or not this decision gets fixed or not, I do believe that if you don't like something, speak up! We are argue all day whether or not UAL cares about us or not, but they are in the business of making money and if they feel that bad PR and loyal FT posters moving away from them are going to hurt their bottom line they will be forced to take notice.

And then, maybe next time (?), consult some of the top tier flyers before implementing such a change?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SteveDCA

Just sending a tweet @ a company doesn't mean that everyone who follows them sees it. :-:
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Welcome to FT, sedrate! I am really amazed at how much this issue, more than any other, has brought out people who are not FT "regulars" to share their disappointment. You'd think it would be a message to UA management, but I suppose if a horse has blinders on, it isn't able to check the odds board!

Thank you Richard. I've followed the forum for years, wallowed in my own disgust and disbelief with the airlines at times, and greatly appreciated the the ability to silently find solace in other people's similar grievances.

This time however - I became so angry that I had to vent. I'm sick and tired of UA gamesmanship (especially the pay a premium for the chance (aka "privilege") to be added to the GPU wait list. And if the GPU doesn't clear, don't expect any sympathy or a W to L courtesy refund for your troubles.

I fly these guys 100,000-110,000 miles a year. Many of the front line employees are truly exceptional (one local GATE AGENT... not a CSR.. recently called me at home before my flight to change my itinerary because she felt I'd miss my connection) But management is consistently a royal pain in the ... at this airline, and the time has come to take a stand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.