Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Expert Mode" Changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The hilarious thing in this, is that the information was ONLY available in EXPERT mode. I promise you, the rank and file customers who would in theory get confused by this, are NOT surfing united.com in expert mode. In fact I'll bet my mortgage that those consumers don't even know that an expert mode exists.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
If GPUs are changed to be redeemable on any fare class (as AA does), then I can tolerate this decision. Otherwise, I agree with mitchmu.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by mitchmu
GPUs are now worthless.
This really is the heart of this change. I have started considering SWUs worthless a few years ago, since the ability to upgrade an international flight at the time of booking became so rare. As a result, I have been using both SWUs and CR1s for domestic flights only (and many of mine just expire from non-use). My employer buys me $7k+ tickets for my 4-5 international flights per year, but since Z fares cannot be upgraded and the J fares are so ludicrously high on UA I just fly on CX, SQ, BA, etc. Now that the upgrades can't readily be used domestically (without lots of lengthy, annoying phone calls), what really is their value? For me, they are nearly worthless at this point...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by cricketer
The hilarious thing in this, is that the information was ONLY available in EXPERT mode. I promise you, the rank and file customers who would in theory get confused by this, are NOT surfing united.com in expert mode. In fact I'll bet my mortgage that those consumers don't even know that an expert mode exists.
Actually I think with the current site there is no seperate Expert mode (that was on PMUA)

Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
If GPUs are changed to be redeemable on any fare class (as AA does), then I can tolerate this decision. Otherwise, I agree with mitchmu.
2 seperate issues. Better GPU's would be nice, but there is absolutely no reasonable rationale for this move which makes it more difficult to actually purchase tickets from UA. (I get all the info I need to buy the ticket I want instead of having to call).
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
I believe AA is still matching..

I don't fly United anymore, but I lurk the UA forum because it's entertaining to keep up with CO's latest shenanigans and to see the remaining United fliers clinging to the remnants of what used to be a good airline. I hope this is another big wake up call...time to jump ship! She was fatally stricken on March 3. It's only going to get worse.

I continue to wish the very best to the good flight crews and ground staff.

The other airlines definitely have their problems, but they pale in comparison to what has seemingly become the norm for the new United.

The grass is greener...
I cant speak for AA, but in the last week on two Delta flights I was genuinely thanked for my business. They even send thank you emails for booking business class.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
Horrible news... I use that feature every time I look for flights.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
Actually I think with the current site there is no seperate Expert mode (that was on PMUA).
I was just going to post that. I could see buckets on a new computer without being logged in.

EmailKid, very, very sad at this MAJOR downgrade
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
What does it matter if the site lists whether we're waitlisted, when wait listing simply does not work?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: Continental
They should have a listing that says: "Upgrade sold out from under you"
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
This, coupled with a 3 hour MX delay DCA-EWR Thursday that I had to find a way to get around (DCA-LGA cab to EWR) to make my HKG flight has seriously sent me in a huge rage. I just can't see how these people think this is a good idea. SMI/J at his best again.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
i agree the spin on the reasons for this move is bogus, but in the end I am always going to choose UA regardless of price. so long as i can select the fare bucket when when looking at flights, for instance if I want a W or B fare, I don't really care if I can see what is available. the travel experience has deteriorated in general and i have started to buy B and P fares so i can get the EQM bonus and travel less and keep 1K. like many others, it is the the bs corporate skew for 'enhancements' which is annoying, I am sure Shannon had to take many deep breaths while spinning this one haha. Not her fault obviously, and in some ways it is kind of comical. But I am too far invested in UA to switch, I just must accept the changes and hope for the best. Onward!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Disappointed. Very disappointed.

UA: I will not be playing your silly game.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:18 pm

We don't know whether or not R will continue to show in EF, do we?

This could be a simple dumbing down of their already pathetic web site.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EP, HH-D, Marriott-G,HPass-PL, Avis-Pres, Hertz-Pres
Use these daily! What a horrible decision, I hope they reconsider!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
New low. Bad customer service was not enough. They had to kill the remaining automated benefits online. Why would anyone bother and continue too book United?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.