Wiki Posts
Search

P fare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K, Starwood Platinum
P fare

bought a P fare today, but had not seen it available for purchase before. When I look to search on the ability to purchase a P fare, the ual site tells me it is not a valid fare to search on. Anyone have any idea how that works for purchase? BTW...M fare was 700 more....
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The P fares are deep discount business fares, below Z, and are relatively new. Not too surprising that the site doesn't have them in the search, though it probably should.

Odds are the restriction on the P fare are greater than those on the M fare you were looking at.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
The P fares are deep discount business fares, below Z, and are relatively new. Not too surprising that the site doesn't have them in the search, though it probably should.

Odds are the restriction on the P fare are greater than those on the M fare you were looking at.
well, the P fare puts me in F. was kinda surprised, but grabbed it. flt is on a 757
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by jacroweORD
well, the P fare puts me in F. was kinda surprised, but grabbed it. flt is on a 757
On domestic flights, P fares usually are a discounted F seat. On international flights, they are usually the cheapest, more restrictive business class seat.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Found a P fare recently for which the fare rules were for V.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is possible that they are using P as the booking class for the *UP fares which are instant upgrades for all passengers. That would explain why you are getting it on the "V" fare.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
P fares are $496 all in for IAD-TPA/MCO round-trip (in F) right now ... not a bad deal!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the V fares i used (a few years ago) required 50 day advance purchase, and had a minimum stay of about 7 days. do the new P or V fares have those limits?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Many non UA programs don't give credit for the P fares so check that out if you're crediting to a different alliance member.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
P Fare Tickets

I'm doing a lot of ORD-PDX/SEA travel these days usually buying a o/w ticket to either PDX/SEA and then a o/w ticket home. About 95% of the time, the lowest fare I'm offered is a P fare (discounted business class) at around $500. The fare isn't a problem at all, but it's just strange that whenever I specifically ask for a coach ticket, those are more expensive (usually booking into Y/B) than the P fares. I'm happily earning my 150% elite miles/segments, just wondering if anyone else is seeing this as consistently as I am.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
How far in advance are you booking and, if you flip on expert mode, what do the fare buckets look like?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
I've seen some very cheap P fares which seem to be competing with cheap DL paid first class fares: For example: SAN-BUF often $448 one-way. The Y/B/M is a lot higher for this market.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
How far in advance are you booking and, if you flip on expert mode, what do the fare buckets look like?
I'm usually booking 2-3 weeks out. Looking at some tickets for the end of October right now and all P fares are coming up.

F9, A9, JN9, Z9, ZN9, P8, PN9, R3, RN3, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G9, N9, XN9, X9 is what the flight looks like right now.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Plat; B6 Mosaic; SPG Plat
If you want to search united.com for a domestic P fare, change "Depart Cabin" from Economy to First/Business First. The search return will show a P fare if availability exists on the flight (assuming P is the lowest price fare class).

For example, I just searched ORD-BOS one way for a Sunday later this month. 4 flights offer "P" at $231, 3 flights offer "Z" at $331, and 1 flight offers "A" at $431.

An Economy search will show "P" only if it is cheaper than the lowest available coach fare. It's a good reminder to check for "P" on the flight where the "W" fare is $208. For a non-status flyer, the $ differential from E- to F can be lower than the buy-up price from E- to E+.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
ORD-PDX the "cheapest" fare filed is V2UP14N3 (V-UP) and books as P. There is a slight more expense U fare which is economy. So the F seat is the cheapest OW fare available even if booking months / weeks ahead.

While many routes have OWs as 1/2 price RT, others don't and this is one of those.
For this route there are cheaper RT fares then the OW fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.