Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"GG BUYUP" references to a policy (not publicly published) that UA will waive change fees, if on your presently booked flight you wish to buy-up / upfare to the next cabin. That is, pay the fare difference from your present economy fare to business / first.

If the agent is unfamiliar with the policy, ask them to reference "GG BUYUP" or ask a supervisor.

Note this is only on UA tickets and only applies to the same flight, flight changes are not permitted by policy (a rare agent might but generally no).

This does not waive change fees for buying-up to a "W" fare to apply a GPU but some agents may still waive the change fee and some may not.
Print Wikipost

Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: 1K
I frequently pay change fees to a Y/B/M fare. Perhaps I am a sucker here
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Fare Class Combining and Upfare Questions...

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a roundtrip where outbound does not have P/Z fare available. I am confident it will open up based on availability of the seats. So I have two questions:
1. Can I purchase W outbound and return P on one ticket?
2. When P/Z opens up, will UA let me purchase form W without any change fees (there will be fare difference of course) for outbound?

Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
1) Generally yes, check both fare rules for combinability.

2) No, you'd pay the change fee plus fare difference.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by mduell

Thanks. I will wait it out in that case.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by denuaflier
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a roundtrip where outbound does not have P/Z fare available. I am confident it will open up based on availability of the seats. So I have two questions:
1. Can I purchase W outbound and return P on one ticket?
2. When P/Z opens up, will UA let me purchase form W without any change fees (there will be fare difference of course) for outbound?

Thanks.
1. You can do this, I did something similar in August. You might have to call in to request specific fare classes. From the website you can do a multi-destination search and select economy for the outbound and business for the return. But if economy is available in something less than W that's what it will give you for the outbound. There's no way to force the website to show you economy/W on one leg and business/P on another.

2. Most agents are going to want to charge you the change fee, but you might get lucky and find one who won't.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

2) There is no change fee when you up-fare. UA waives this when you go from Y to C or C to F but usually not within a cabin (e.g. W --> B won't work).

This can generally be done online, but you can also call (done both in the past was never charged a change fee).
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cfischer
There is no change fee when you up-fare.
This used to be the case, but as far as I know, United removed free up-fares three or four years ago, around the same time they eliminated the guaranteed airfare clause.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This used to be the case, but as far as I know, United removed free up-fares three or four years ago, around the same time they eliminated the guaranteed airfare clause.
I have done this ~ 6 months ago. No issue.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cfischer
I have done this ~ 6 months ago. No issue.
United. Consistently inconsistent.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA will absolutely charge a change fee to upfare to P/Z. I have been charged every time. While I suppose you might find an agent who will waive it, I would definitely not count on that.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:52 pm

In general if you are moving to a higher cabin of service they will waive the change fee. This used to be a published benefit and I think it still is, but I'm not certain as I haven't done it in years. The internal reference is GG BUYUP for this one. I'd suggest asking an agent to look it up if you're charged.

Obviously the fare difference still applies.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA will absolutely charge a change fee to upfare to P/Z. I have been charged every time. While I suppose you might find an agent who will waive it, I would definitely not count on that.
have you tried online? Go into your reservation and hit the 'upgrade' button and select the $$$ value over miles/certs? This has always given me the P/Z/A whatever fare with a note 'change fee waived'. There may not be an official rule for this anymore (note: GG BUYUP as per post 10 may in fact still be valid), but it has worked for me before also over the phone.
I'd like to hear where people were charged a change fee online when up-faring to a higher COS; maybe this is a 1K perk
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
In general if you are moving to a higher cabin of service they will waive the change fee. This used to be a published benefit and I think it still is, but I'm not certain as I haven't done it in years. The internal reference is GG BUYUP for this one. I'd suggest asking an agent to look it up if you're charged.

That's useful. I will ask before buying to see if it is still valid. Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Sbm12;
Can you share a list of all the GGs?
They are very useful.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot

It's still valid. fwiw, travel agents are also allowed to waive the change fee in the event of a buy-up ... documented in the "same flight cabin buy ups" section here in case anyone wants an official-ish reference to the policy:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...cketguide.aspx

One thing that is less clear is what ticketing date applies in the event of a buy-up. For example, if you up-fare the first segment of an international trip one day before departure, the standard fare rules state that it would be as if you were purchasing the ticket outright on the day of the change for the purposes of advance purchase requirements. I believe that United uses the original ticketing date for buy-ups, but if it doesn't the fare difference could be far more substantial than one might expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.