Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"GG BUYUP" references to a policy (not publicly published) that UA will waive change fees, if on your presently booked flight you wish to buy-up / upfare to the next cabin. That is, pay the fare difference from your present economy fare to business / first.

If the agent is unfamiliar with the policy, ask them to reference "GG BUYUP" or ask a supervisor.

Note this is only on UA tickets and only applies to the same flight, flight changes are not permitted by policy (a rare agent might but generally no).

This does not waive change fees for buying-up to a "W" fare to apply a GPU but some agents may still waive the change fee and some may not.
Print Wikipost

Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
A friend bought an S class coach ticket LHR-SFO a couple weeks ago. I had a GPU to give for an upgrade for him and so tonight I called and the agent, without asking, said the change fee would be waived and just charged the fare difference to go from a S fare to a W fare -- $34. I'm a 1k and my friend for whom I was sponsoring the GPU is a general member. Not sure if this was just a courtesy because I'm a 1k or this is the standard for upgrading an international coach fare, but just wanted to add this data point. Phone agent (US based I surmised from her accent) was really courteous and very personable!
Originally Posted by windhund
Earlier this year, a friend gave me a GPU to use. I had to change my fare to W, and when I called (as gold), I explained I wanted to change the fare so that I could use the GPU. She knew about the policy and explained they don't charge a fee to do that, and she changed my fare and just charged me the difference. So it seems like they will do that for anyone, not just 1Ks.
huh, that's weird. Policy as far as I understand it only applies to an upfare to the next higher cabin but NOT within the cabin.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Yep, they just tried to charge me $350 ($50 upfare and $300 change fee). I told them that shouldn't be the case, and the agent came back and said they don't mind waiving the fee.

She was nice enough, so I'm not going to sweat it. Either way I didn't pay it, so I'm happy - an informed customer is a happy customer! (most of the time)

Edit: After reading this thread, I realize the agent did it out of goodwill. I was upfaring to a W fare to apply a GPU

Last edited by teeceedee; Jul 8, 2015 at 5:12 pm
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Can I up fare from a W fare or a V fare to a different flight where R space is open. The reason I am asking is because my return upgraded flight gets me into IAD at 9pm, but now space has opened into an earlier flight from FRA & MUC where Q is available at only $30 more. Is this possible, without the $250 change fee?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Can I up fare from a W fare or a V fare to a different flight where R space is open. The reason I am asking is because my return upgraded flight gets me into IAD at 9pm, but now space has opened into an earlier flight from FRA & MUC where Q is available at only $30 more. Is this possible, without the $250 change fee?
No, changing a flight, routing or date would trigger the change fee and fare difference - the buyup is only for moving from coach to first on the exact flights you're currently booked on.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by bocastephen
No, changing a flight, routing or date would trigger the change fee and fare difference - the buyup is only for moving from coach to first on the exact flights you're currently booked on.
There is a cumbersome workaround.

Buy up to a changeable far without penalty.

Finish the call.

Go online and change to the flights you want.

You will get a voucher (not cash back) for the difference in fare.

This is really only good if you are planning to use that difference (which could be hundreds/ thousands of $.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Does United waive change fee when re-booking to higher cabin?

I am Premier Silver.

I purchased a one-way domestic ticket in (K fare class) for $151.

the Option to upgrade to F is offered online for $691 (no way).

However, there are F seats available for purchase (A fare class) for $444

if i were to call to re-book from K to A, would they charge me the difference in price ($293), OR , would they charge me $293 plus a change fee (not sure what that fee is as Silver Premier)
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
No. They used to waive the fees if you called for an 'up fare' but those days have long past.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:17 pm

OP, what you are referring to is a Buyup, and yes, they can process without a change fee. You may get mixed reports, but I've always had 100% success with it after mentioning to the agent GG Buyup.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 31, 2015 at 3:14 pm Reason: referral link no longer needed after thread merge
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
In the past I've had good success buying up from one coach fare to another without paying the change fee. Not today.

Tried to buy from an E fare to an M; tried HUACA twice and still no dice, had to pay $200 + $64.

I'm going to email 1kvoice and try for a refund of the $200 but I'm not optimistic at all.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by bullfrog
In the past I've had good success buying up from one coach fare to another without paying the change fee. Not today.

Tried to buy from an E fare to an M; tried HUACA twice and still no dice, had to pay $200 + $64.

I'm going to email 1kvoice and try for a refund of the $200 but I'm not optimistic at all.
This is one really annoying situation that just always leaves a bad taste in one's mouth...(seriously, charging someone a change fee when buying up to a higher fare is ridiculous IMHO).

Hope you put it on an Amex card to offset the change fee...
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG LT Gold
I am booked LAX-SYD on an L fare. Just called to ask if I could upfare so I could apply my GPUs to the reservation. Agent said no problem, and that that she would be happy to waive the $300 change fee this time. Fare difference was about $460, but nothing like the $9000, if I was to book into C directly. Worked out well, but the system was definitely going to charge the standard change fee. Outbound waitlisted, return cleared at time of application.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Last week I tried twice (2 calls) to do a buy up from an E fare to a Z fare on a domestic trip. The difference in price was roughly 0.40, so it seemed like a good bargain. Both agents though told me I had to pay the $200 change fee and I mentioned the GG Buy Up policy to no avail. Both did offer an "upsell" that waived the change fee, but was roughly $250 difference.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lilpisher
Last week I tried twice (2 calls) to do a buy up from an E fare to a Z fare on a domestic trip. The difference in price was roughly 0.40, so it seemed like a good bargain. Both agents though told me I had to pay the $200 change fee and I mentioned the GG Buy Up policy to no avail. Both did offer an "upsell" that waived the change fee, but was roughly $250 difference.
If they refuse to look at the reference material in SHARES, you need to escalate to a supervisor, don't waste your time otherwise.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If they refuse to look at the reference material in SHARES, you need to escalate to a supervisor, don't waste your time otherwise.
The second agent actually went to talk to a supervisor and still wouldn't budge. I wasn't quote sure though if there was a difference between a Buy Up and an Upsell.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by N515CR
Hope you put it on an Amex card to offset the change fee...
Don't have an AmEx card, but just got an offer.

Do tell, how does that work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.