Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AMS lounge options for the UA traveler, *A Schengen; Aspire, non-Schengen + Polaris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Consolidated connection time/logistics at AMS
Amsterdam (AMS) Lounge - Star Alliance
The Star Alliance Lounge at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, the latest addition to the Star Alliance lounge line up, located in the Schengen area, offers a contemporary design with uniquely Dutch details where guests are invited to sit back and relax or make use of the sophisticated workspaces.
The serviced bar offers offers guests a wide range of drinks and refreshments in the afternoons and evenings, while the kitchen and buffet offer a range of hot and cold meal options with a local twist..
Non-schengen lounge
Swissport’s Aspire 41 lounge (contracted lounge -- used by UA)
Opening hours: DAILY 06:00-23:00

Other options
Print Wikipost

AMS lounge options for the UA traveler, *A Schengen; Aspire, non-Schengen + Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Flying out of AMS on Saturday, looking forward to checking this lounge out!
Unless, of course, you're flying to U.S.
Otherwise, be nice to get a couple of words on it. If I understand correctly, it's catered/staffed by the Aspire crew.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
So... turkey slices and mediocre fruit?

ETA: Looking forward to someone posting up pics and experience.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Like Buenos Aires?
My impression is that AMS is worse than EZE.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber

My impression is that AMS is worse than EZE.
My point is that most Star Alliance lounges are situated at airports where a *A airline isn't a dominant carrier. A *A lounge is being provided at AMS (and I bet it's going to be better than Aspire-level) - I just think it's annoying being provided in the Schengen area.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
My point is that most Star Alliance lounges are situated at airports where a *A airline isn't a dominant carrier. A *A lounge is being provided at AMS (and I bet it's going to be better than Aspire-level) - I just think it's annoying being provided in the Schengen area.
So for US international travelers, presumably only for connections ex-US through AMS, not for AMS to EWR or IAD.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artpen100
So for US international travelers, presumably only for connections ex-US through AMS, not for AMS to EWR or IAD.
Yeah, that's what it seems to be. If you're a UA flyer, the benefit of the new *A lounge seems to be mainly for those flying from US to AMS and connecting onward within Schengen on another *A airline.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Yeah, that's what it seems to be. If you're a UA flyer, the benefit of the new *A lounge seems to be mainly for those flying from US to AMS and connecting onward within Schengen on another *A airline.
Most connections, and *A flights from/to AMS in general, will be intra-Schengen, so it makes sense to put the lounge there.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Most connections, and *A flights from/to AMS in general, will be intra-Schengen, so it makes sense to put the lounge there.
And that lounge area is somewhat central to the piers and gates used by *A carriers performing Schengen flights.

Non-Schengen is something else, D vs G pier for example (it's always the flip of a coin which pier UA will depart from). Now the non-Schengen *G options do have a lot of overcrowding, SQ blocks part of the contract lounge for example, reducing usable space...
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
So it's not accessible even if you have extra time and want to try, or is the Schengen area off-limits altogether on AMS-US flights? I have some recollection (which could be wrong) that FCO is also in s Schengen zone but was available pre-FCO-ORD flight if I wanted to make the trek (but I just used the Alitalia lounge to which UA provides access).
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by st530
So it's not accessible even if you have extra time and want to try, or is the Schengen area off-limits altogether on AMS-US flights?
If you're departing from AMS, you're allowed into the Schengen area (since NL is inside of Schengen), they might look funny at you, but lots of people do it in order to visit shops or the Rijksmuseum satellite.

If you're transiting from non-Schengen through AMS to non-Schengen that's be trickier, because you need to be cleared into Schengen, and thus have to be admissable for Schengen.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jupper
If you're departing from AMS, you're allowed into the Schengen area (since NL is inside of Schengen), they might look funny at you, but lots of people do it in order to visit shops or the Rijksmuseum satellite...
So, would it be just an extra security search?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

Edit - just found this. Opens March 7th. Sounds like its location might not be convenient for, or accessible by, those flying to U.S.? If so, does it basically still leave us with Aspire? Article is definitely confusing to me - will this lounge just be full of LH customers? AMS lounge thread in *A forum suggest U.S.- bound customers will still be stuck w/ Aspire lounge.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/star-allian...l-open-march-7
We flew ex AMS Mar 7 on LH and the new lounge was not yet open. They told us the opening was delayed to the following day. Maybe somebody can confirm a visit once it has actually opened.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredd
We flew ex AMS Mar 7 on LH and the new lounge was not yet open. They told us the opening was delayed to the following day. Maybe somebody can confirm a visit once it has actually opened.
I’m sure if I was traveling on 7th, the new lounge would have opened as my flight was boarding 🙂
Fredd, Boraxo and Artpen100 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I’m sure if I was traveling on 7th, the new lounge would have opened as my flight was boarding 🙂
It kills me that I missed the opening by a week - the photos and reviews show a stellar *A lounge. Doubt overcrowded Aspire will miss us.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:22 pm

So, would it be just an extra security search?
Immigration / Passport control if memory serves correctly between the two zones air-side...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.