Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AMS lounge options for the UA traveler, *A Schengen; Aspire, non-Schengen + Polaris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Consolidated connection time/logistics at AMS
Amsterdam (AMS) Lounge - Star Alliance
The Star Alliance Lounge at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, the latest addition to the Star Alliance lounge line up, located in the Schengen area, offers a contemporary design with uniquely Dutch details where guests are invited to sit back and relax or make use of the sophisticated workspaces.
The serviced bar offers offers guests a wide range of drinks and refreshments in the afternoons and evenings, while the kitchen and buffet offer a range of hot and cold meal options with a local twist..
Non-schengen lounge
Swissport’s Aspire 41 lounge (contracted lounge -- used by UA)
Opening hours: DAILY 06:00-23:00

Other options
Print Wikipost

AMS lounge options for the UA traveler, *A Schengen; Aspire, non-Schengen + Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by st530
I thought the *G lounge was accessible to AMS-US flyers if one is willing to go through security twice - is that not the case?
Depends on your Schengen status. If you go through security and then passport control (emigration), you basically have left the Schengen area. In order to access the *G lounge it's not only security but also immigration (into Schengen) and emigration (out of Schengen) again...
st530 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by jupper
Depends on your Schengen status. If you go through security and then passport control (emigration), you basically have left the Schengen area. In order to access the *G lounge it's not only security but also immigration (into Schengen) and emigration (out of Schengen) again...
Got it. Good point. As a US passport holder, hadn’t considered that.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by st530
Got it. Good point. As a US passport holder, hadn’t considered that.
Will they let you go through security on the Schengen side if you tell them you want to visit the lounge or will they make you exit Schengen, re-enter, and then exit again?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by jupper
Way too much trouble if you have Priority Pass access . . .
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by elitefreak
Way too much trouble if you have Priority Pass access . . .
But I feel like the PP lounge on the non-Schengen side will probably be "too busy" for PP at all the times UA flights depart.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
But I feel like the PP lounge on the non-Schengen side will probably be "too busy" for PP at all the times UA flights depart.
I think both the BA and Aspire have PP access.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I flew on the 9:15 EWR last week. The PP lounge was empty
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow
It's also the middle of winter, where Europe sees lower passenger traffic. The BA lounge being open to PP might help with the crowding though.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Which one? I'm assuming you mean the Aspire, but you could also have been in the adjacent BA lounge. Both have PP access.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I think both the BA and Aspire have PP access.
Yes
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM
Which one? I'm assuming you mean the Aspire, but you could also have been in the adjacent BA lounge. Both have PP access.
Aspire....the lounge United uses for Polaris passengers.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:19 am

Flying Polaris LAX-EWR-AMS. Can I use the lounge in AMS on arrival? (will have to wait for family arriving on different flight a few hours later)
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by EU-US
Flying Polaris LAX-EWR-AMS. Can I use the lounge in AMS on arrival? (will have to wait for family arriving on different flight a few hours later)
the answer is unfortunately not. On departure only access per Star Alliance rules
https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Lifestyle Design
the answer is unfortunately not. On departure only access per Star Alliance rules
https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
Plus 2) there no UA lounge and 2) one would need a onward boarding pass to get through security get to the Star Alliance lounge in another pier. AMS has multiple fine places in the forecourt to wait it out.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:16 am

Unfortunate, but thank you. I am not not the happiest United customer at the moment - granted, in this case, it is my fault that I didn't read the terms thoroughly (they do their marketing bla bla about the benefits of Polaris, including using the Polaris lounges on arrival - except that they are only in the US so for international travel this is a non-benefit. And they changed the equipment on 2 out of 4 flights, where I picked flights specifically with the Polaris suites, but instead, ended up in the window seat prison in the old crappy Diamond seats in 2-2-2 and 2-1-2 configurations - the exact scenario I wanted to avoid and which made me pay for a more expensive ticket than I could have gotten on the same route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.