Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AMS lounge options for the UA traveler, *A Schengen; Aspire, non-Schengen + Polaris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Consolidated connection time/logistics at AMS
Amsterdam (AMS) Lounge - Star Alliance
The Star Alliance Lounge at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, the latest addition to the Star Alliance lounge line up, located in the Schengen area, offers a contemporary design with uniquely Dutch details where guests are invited to sit back and relax or make use of the sophisticated workspaces.
The serviced bar offers offers guests a wide range of drinks and refreshments in the afternoons and evenings, while the kitchen and buffet offer a range of hot and cold meal options with a local twist..
Non-schengen lounge
Swissport’s Aspire 41 lounge (contracted lounge -- used by UA)
Opening hours: DAILY 06:00-23:00

Other options
Print Wikipost

AMS lounge options for the UA traveler, *A Schengen; Aspire, non-Schengen + Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
For some reason, I don't think that you will have access to a lounge on arrival as all the lounges there are third party contract lounges and not owned by United or Star Alliance. If you were continuing on a Star Alliance airline in Business or Economy (if Star Gold member), then you would have access to a contract lounge.
The contract lounge thing is a red herring: Star Alliance lounges are departure lounges. Arriving in Polaris and connecting to a non-*A carrier would not result in lounge access (other than the United Club, where UA has chosen to grant access to arriving passengers -- but there's no UC in AMS).
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
There are two contract lounges (one Schengen and one non-Schengen...which would be JRO) available if you have Priority Pass though a credit card or membership.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Short answer is no. UA does not provide arrivals lounge service in Europe anymore and *A access is based on departure so you get nothing there.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Portolan
There are two contract lounges (one Schengen and one non-Schengen...which would be JRO) available if you have Priority Pass though a credit card or membership.
The Aspire lounges, which are decent. The KLM lounges are good, but require departure on a KLM business class ticket. AMS is not great for lounges.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Star Alliance will open a lounge at AMS for *A pax.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Granite64
Star Alliance will open a lounge at AMS for *A pax.
When is that going to happen? In any event, if like the *A lounge at CDG, it will be for departures, not arrivals.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Artpen100
When is that going to happen? In any event, if like the *A lounge at CDG, it will be for departures, not arrivals.
It is supposed to open in 2019 but I don't know what month.

It will be good for passengers departing on a Star Alliance flight in Business and for passengers departing on a Star Alliance flight in Economy who are Star Alliance Gold.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
It is supposed to open in 2019 but I don't know what month.

It will be good for passengers departing on a Star Alliance flight in Business and for passengers departing on a Star Alliance flight in Economy who are Star Alliance Gold.
Bump.

Just curious to know if there's any more info on alleged new *A lounge at Schiphol.

Edit - just found this. Opens March 7th. Sounds like its location might not be convenient for, or accessible by, those flying to U.S.? If so, does it basically still leave us with Aspire? Article is definitely confusing to me - will this lounge just be full of LH customers? AMS lounge thread in *A forum suggest U.S.- bound customers will still be stuck w/ Aspire lounge.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/star-allian...l-open-march-7

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 4, 2019 at 9:15 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Artpen100
The Aspire lounges, which are decent. The KLM lounges are good, but require departure on a KLM business class ticket. AMS is not great for lounges.
I visited the Aspire lounge earlier this week at 10am and found it very disappointing, and not even decent. The food was mediocre (worse IMO than an average UA lounge and the place was packed to the gills. Would not leave my bags alone for 10 seconds with this crowd. The only redeeming quality was the beer on tap, though that is by no means unique to Aspire.

Unfortunately did not have time to visit KLM as my incoming was late, and did not have access to *A on this ticket. But I won't be returning to Aspire again.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Bump.

Just curious to know if there's any more info on alleged new *A lounge at Schiphol.

Edit - just found this. Opens March 7th. Sounds like its location might not be convenient for, or accessible by, those flying to U.S.? If so, does it basically still leave us with Aspire? Article is definitely confusing to me - will this lounge just be full of LH customers? AMS lounge thread in *A forum suggest U.S.- bound customers will still be stuck w/ Aspire lounge.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/star-allian...l-open-march-7

I’m flying LX out of AMS in a few weeks. Looking forward to checking out the lounge.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I visited the Aspire lounge earlier this week at 10am and found it very disappointing, and not even decent. The food was mediocre (worse IMO than an average UA lounge and the place was packed to the gills. Would not leave my bags alone for 10 seconds with this crowd. The only redeeming quality was the beer on tap, though that is by no means unique to Aspire.

Unfortunately did not have time to visit KLM as my incoming was late, and did not have access to *A on this ticket. But I won't be returning to Aspire again.
Well, I spend a lot of time in US domestic lounges, so perhaps my standards are low, but definitely not worse than a UA lounge at IAD. But the fact is, AMS is disappointing for lounges for such a major airport except for the KLM ones, and they also are frequently crowded. If you are looking for LH First quality, or even LH Senator MUC or FRA quality, you will be disappointed. If the Star Alliance lounge opening in a few days is anything like the one in Terminal 1 CDG, that will be a huge improvement, but even that one can be crowded and is getting a little rundown through use, and I hear people complain about it. (And they have no champagne! How is that allowed in Paris?)

One thing I have always found interesting is that AMS is one of the few (or perhaps the only) airport with a first class rail lounge within the airport (for the Thalys).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I’m flying LX out of AMS in a few weeks. Looking forward to checking out the lounge.
Flying *A from AMS one just has to suffer through it, looking forward to a better lounge at a *A hub.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldclubber

Flying *A from AMS one just has to suffer through it, looking forward to a better lounge at a *A hub.
Like Buenos Aires?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Flying out of AMS on Saturday, looking forward to checking this lounge out!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo

Exactly my experience in Feb 2019. And a long walk from the UA gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.