Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Airport Lounge Options for UA Travelers in Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney (SYD)?

Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SYD Lounges for *G and UA Business Class passengers
* Air New Zealand Lounge, International Terminal 2, Level 3, Pier C

* SilverKris Lounge Business Class Lounge, International Terminal 2, Level 3, Pier C
Hours - MON 05:30-18:30;TUE 05:30-18:30;WED 05:30-18:30;THU 05:30-18:30;FRI 05:30-18:30;SAT 05:30-18:30;SUN 05:30-18:30;

MEL Lounges for *G and UA Business Class passengers
* Air New Zealand Intl. Lounge, Location International Satellite, Ground Floor

* SilverKris Lounge Business Class, Location International Satellite, Arrivals Level, Opposite gate 7

Neither airport has an arrival lounge

Related thread
General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]
MEL United Club Closed Permanently (June 12, 2015)
Annie is a rock star (aka United in Australia)
Archive
Airport Lounge Options for UA Travelers in Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney (SYD) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Airport Lounge Options for UA Travelers in Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney (SYD)?

Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Artpen100
If you had the AA executive club card, you could access the Qantas lounge. You could also pay for the Skyteam lounge - I think. Whether it is practical may depend on your terminal.
In SYD VA and QF have their own dedicated domestic terminals. You won't be able to access the international side (where the SkyTeam lounge is) at all.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Flying MEL-LAX later this month in Business class. Only UA Silver status through Marriott so I know that doesn't get me in. But being in Business will, right? Which lounge is preferable?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mikelat
Flying MEL-LAX later this month in Business class. Only UA Silver status through Marriott so I know that doesn't get me in. But being in Business will, right? Which lounge is preferable?
Business will get you in, but without any guests.

You will be directed to the Air NZ lounge. If it's open (depends on what time you arrive) you can also use the Singapore Airlines SilverKris lounge.

The SQ lounge is potentially slightly better, but at that time of day I'd probably just recommend using the AirNZ lounge - if only because they will announce boarding for the UA flights where the SQ lounge will not.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Business will get you in, but without any guests.

You will be directed to the Air NZ lounge. If it's open (depends on what time you arrive) you can also use the Singapore Airlines SilverKris lounge.

The SQ lounge is potentially slightly better, but at that time of day I'd probably just recommend using the AirNZ lounge - if only because they will announce boarding for the UA flights where the SQ lounge will not.
Thanks! We're both in Business class so no worries about guests.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:31 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador

If you are flying out of MEL check on the NZ forum as a few weeks ago NZ lounge was still closed for refurbishment.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by TPJ
If you are flying out of MEL check on the NZ forum as a few weeks ago NZ lounge was still closed for refurbishment.
Weird, United website lists Cathay pacific lounge in MEL. Headed out in 2 days, hoping I don't have a 2+ hour wait in a terminal!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:18 am

If I'm flying MEL-LAX-SEA, do I get access to the *A lounge in LAX or just the United Club? We have a 3.5 hr connecting time there.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If I'm flying MEL-LAX-SEA, do I get access to the *A lounge in LAX or just the United Club? We have a 3.5 hr connecting time there.
Assuming you don't have *G (Gold status with a *A program), then you are correct, no *A lounge access @ LAX.
And you will only have access to LAX UC if the MEL-LAX was in a premium cabin (business).
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Assuming you don't have *G (Gold status with a *A program), then you are correct, no *A lounge access @ LAX.
And you will only have access to LAX UC if the MEL-LAX was in a premium cabin (business).
Correct, only UA Silver status. We're in J for MEL-LAX so OK there.

Just sucks that the security incident at LAX today caused United to cancel our return flight tomorrow so now we've got another night hotel costs in MEL
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Correct, only UA Silver status. We're in J for MEL-LAX so OK there.

Just sucks that the security incident at LAX today caused United to cancel our return flight tomorrow so now we've got another night hotel costs in MEL
Would cancellation for security incident actually shoulder the hotel costs on the pax?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I assume passengers would be responsible given it was outside of UA's control.

Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Would cancellation for security incident actually shoulder the hotel costs on the pax?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
anyone have an update on the current lounge situation at MEL and what if any lounge I might be able to access?

traveling out tonight LAX-MEL in J, connecting to MEL-CHC in coach (as no J offered on that route). MP J saver award ticket, no status.

thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
traveling out tonight LAX-MEL in J, connecting to MEL-CHC in coach (as no J offered on that route). MP J saver award ticket, no status.
Star Alliance lounge access is based on departure flight. As you're departing in coach, you won't get access. The only exception to this is "arrivals" lounges, but there are none of those in MEL.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Star Alliance lounge access is based on departure flight. As you're departing in coach, you won't get access. The only exception to this is "arrivals" lounges, but there are none of those in MEL.
That is what I feared, thanks for confirming. Are there any paid lounge options for a shower that you're aware of?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, United Club lifetime member, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
MEL lounge on 1/16/17

Just to provide a current data point: was directed to Cathay Pacific lounge by United check-in agent today (1/16/17). It's small but decent and not too crowded. The lounge check-in agent said that they would make an announcement for boarding of the UA flight. I did not bother trying to access either the SQ or NZ lounges, so no idea whether they would admit UA passengers or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.