Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone Being Ridiculed By Colleagues For Flying United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

I just missed a day of work due to some flight delays returning from vacation. This, combined with missing the first hour of a couple of all-day meetings due to delays and cancelations, and getting home at all hours of the night have my co-workers mocking my airline of choice. They often fly direct for less on AA and Jetblue, receive frequent upgrades and have wifi on USAirways and often have stories on the great customer service they've received (we are in that business).

On the vacation, I had a delay announced 16 hours prior to departure based on crew availability, had my wife, six year-old son and I split up across three different rows for reasons nobody could explain, and both the GA or FA rolled their eyes when I told them the best the UC could do was put me and the six year-old in an exit row and we would need help. Of the last twenty segments I've done, at least ten of them have been delayed and I've misconnected three times as a result. I have run into some very friendly and willing-to-help staff during that time, but they are now the exception rather than the rule.

Earlier in the month I had to fly USair for cost reasons and was shocked at how much their domestic product had improved. People were friendly, cabin was clean, they seemed to get off the gate about 50% faster than UA and the wifi kept me busy. I used to be able to easily advocate for UA over US with my colleagues but I'm having a hard time justifying my loyalty lately.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Constantly. They still have delusions you can operate a circa-2000 CO airline in 2012.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by alfista
I just missed a day of work due to some flight delays returning from vacation. This, combined with missing the first hour of a couple of all-day meetings due to delays and cancelations, and getting home at all hours of the night have my co-workers mocking my airline of choice. They often fly direct for less on AA and Jetblue, receive frequent upgrades and have wifi on USAirways and often have stories on the great customer service they've received (we are in that business).

On the vacation, I had a delay announced 16 hours prior to departure based on crew availability, had my wife, six year-old son and I split up across three different rows for reasons nobody could explain, and both the GA or FA rolled their eyes when I told them the best the UC could do was put me and the six year-old in an exit row and we would need help. Of the last twenty segments I've done, at least ten of them have been delayed and I've misconnected three times as a result. I have run into some very friendly and willing-to-help staff during that time, but they are now the exception rather than the rule.

Earlier in the month I had to fly USair for cost reasons and was shocked at how much their domestic product had improved. People were friendly, cabin was clean, they seemed to get off the gate about 50% faster than UA and the wifi kept me busy. I used to be able to easily advocate for UA over US with my colleagues but I'm having a hard time justifying my loyalty lately.
Not ridicule...but we will have a talk (more of a "you have other options" discussion) with those employees who continue to fly UA and have "severe" issues. Even though UA is no longer our preferred airline, we allow our employees to fly anyone they desire as long as the fares are competitive. Last year our organization flew UA nearly 80% of the time (UA was our preferred carrier for nearly 40 years)...this year it is more like 15%...usually when there are no other options or the fare difference is significant!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by 1KPath
Not ridicule...but we will have a talk (more of a "you have other options" discussion) with those employees who continue to fly UA and have "severe" issues. Even though UA is no longer our preferred airline, we allow our employees to fly anyone they desire as long as the fares are competitive. Last year our organization flew UA nearly 80% of the time (UA was our preferred carrier for nearly 40 years)...this year it is more like 15%...usually when there are no other options or the fare difference is significant!
Really? Even when the employee is traveling on vacation (as the OP appears to be) ...
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
Really? Even when the employee is traveling on vacation (as the OP appears to be) ...
OP did indicate missing a day of work, plus more work related meetings.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by alfista
the best the UC could do was put me and the six year-old in an exit row and we would need help.
Not flaming or berating - but are six year olds allowed to be seated in an exit row ?

And in agreement with the OP's question........ I have indeed been ridiculed by colleagues for flying United.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Only by European colleagues and friends who laugh at the fact that I would fly internationally on an airline with no free alcohol and horrific, rude service - but of course that applies to most of the US-based airlines. Domestically I haven't come across any materially better option.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Silver, Marriott Platinum
Yes - whenever I fly UA my colleagues assumes that I will be late.
They laugh and ask when I will switch to WN, DL or AA....
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Why should anyone care? Perhaps any problem is with your colleagues.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
far worse... my wife ridicules me.

She asks when I am flying home "is it UA" If I say "yes" she says "well I guess you will not be back on time."

Last couple trips I have avoided this issue by avoiding UA
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
What if you're the one ridiculing others?

Just kidding, most of my team still prefers UA. They've been lucky and haven't had itins go seriously FUBAR to date.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Aspen
Not flaming or berating - but are six year olds allowed to be seated in an exit row ?
Not allowed per FAA regs. FAs should have done something about it.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I get this all the time, but mainly from my customers and colleagues at other companies. Not my co-workers. Why? Because they are flying UA as well per our corporate contract requirements.

This is mainly for international TATL/TPAC travel where customers abroad feel bad that one has to fly over on an "american carrier" (e.g. they don't limit their pity to just UA flyers). UK folks expect BA standards. France, obviously Air France standards. Don't even get me started on Japan.

The point is that overall, american carriers tend to leave a lot to be desired. All of that said, I've had some pretty subpar experiences in intra Europe and intra Asia travel on their local 'budget' carriers as well. I must admit that their flagship brands (ex: SQ, TG, NH, BA) do tend to outperform our "flagship" brands. Or in another way of putting it, there are no flagship carriers in America.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
No, but most of my co-workers (friends, family) have their expectations pretty low for domestic carriers to begin with. i.e., they consider flying to be something that will suck regardless.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
United is really at a low point. I have gotten better service on the phone, at the counter, & boarding with US Airways (and no status with US) than a Premier on UA. Even the US Clubs are better than UA Clubs, they have chips & salsa, soup, keurig machine. Even before UA/CO merged I got excellent customer service with UA, but i'm just accepting that those days are gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.