Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can TICKETED oneway award reservation be changed to R/T by adding return legs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Question Can TICKETED oneway award reservation be changed to R/T by adding return legs?

I have a ticketed oneway award reservation on *A partner from point A to destination B and want to change it to roundtrip, so that I can add a stopover at point C before returning point A. Does UA allow already ticketed oneway award ticket to be changed to roundtrip without needing to make a brand new roundtrip reservation by canceling the original ticketed oneway, so that I can just pay for the mileage and tax difference?

Thanks for any input in advance. Sorry if this question had been previously asked; I just can't find it.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: United GS, HHonors Diamond
I've never tried to do what you describe, but I have tried to change a round trip into two one-ways. All flights were on United. I was told it cannot be done.

I'm sure others will have more direct experience with your situation.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
No. They must cancel the one way & rebook a round trip. Common sense says they should be able to do what you ask but I tried this summer & spoke to a number if CO & UA agents. This is the first time both groups agreed . They said can't do it
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is this "Combine Selected" function on the website (the page that lists all your trips). I wonder what happens if you pick 2 award tickets and click that button...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by username
There is this "Combine Selected" function on the website (the page that lists all your trips). I wonder what happens if you pick 2 award tickets and click that button...
nothing useful -- just displays the combined flights on a single display -- otherwise nothing useful. Still seperate PNRs.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
I have a ticketed oneway award reservation on *A partner from point A to destination B and want to change it to roundtrip, so that I can add a stopover at point C before returning point A. Does UA allow already ticketed oneway award ticket to be changed to roundtrip without needing to make a brand new roundtrip reservation by canceling the original ticketed oneway, so that I can just pay for the mileage and tax difference?
Yes, not a problem at all.

Originally Posted by tann1001
I've never tried to do what you describe, but I have tried to change a round trip into two one-ways. All flights were on United. I was told it cannot be done.
That's different. The OP wants to add some flights to an already-ticketed itin and pay the mileage and tax difference. His situation is certainly doable. What you describe is not.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
No. They must cancel the one way & rebook a round trip. Common sense says they should be able to do what you ask but I tried this summer & spoke to a number if CO & UA agents. This is the first time both groups agreed . They said can't do it
This summer it should have worked. CO has had this functionality for about a year now, and UA has had it since 3/3.

They just need to add the segments you want and refare it. It's one of the very few things that CO's systems are better at.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by channa

This summer it should have worked. CO has had this functionality for about a year now, and UA has had it since 3/3.

They just need to add the segments you want and refare it. It's one of the very few things that CO's systems are better at.
Common sense tells me you are correct but I made a booking in late June & wanted to change it from a o/w to r/t. I called, agent said no. Hung up and called again. After 5-6 calls I figured maybe they were correct & just let them cancel & rebook the whole thing

If your right (and I assume you are) it's ridiculous that agents don't even know this basic, uncomplicated rule.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Common sense tells me you are correct but I made a booking in late June & wanted to change it from a o/w to r/t. I called, agent said no. Hung up and called again. After 5-6 calls I figured maybe they were correct & just let them cancel & rebook the whole thing

If your right (and I assume you are) it's ridiculous that agents don't even know this basic, uncomplicated rule.

If the space is still there for the original segments, cancel and rebook is better since it starts with a fresh record, and a new initial ticketing date.

But this is relatively new functionality for CO agents, and definitely new functionality for UA agents, it's possible they aren't aware of the possibility.

I've done it a number of times and never received any pushback. Maybe you can try being nice to them.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by channa
But this is relatively new functionality for CO agents, and definitely new functionality for UA agents, it's possible they aren't aware of the possibility.

I've done it a number of times and never received any pushback. Maybe you can try being nice to them.
it may be also a matter of how you phrase the request.
I need to add segements and reprice vs change OW to RT???
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
changing one-way to roundtrip award

Is it possible to change a one-way award into a roundtrip without rebooking the current one-way segments?

Background: currently have a one-way IAD-VIE award booked in LH F for two returning on a separate one-way AA award (IST-LHR-IAD//DCA-DFW-HNL in BA/AA F with a 6 month stopover in DC). I just found return availability on LH and availability this summer on UA IAD-HNL and would like to rebook as a UA award to save $850 on taxes. My understanding is that a UA roundtrip award will allow for both an open-jaw (VIE-IST, in this instance) and a stopover (IAD). Can I just add to the one-way award I have right now to turn it into a roundtrip - or do I need to cancel my one-way and start again?

Thanks.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Asked the same question in the past. You may refer to this thread:

Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i did it before in feb this year.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Asked the same question in the past. You may refer to this thread:

Thanks for the link. I tried searching but I guessI didn't use the right phrases.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.