Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

787 Domestic Schedule/Routes *UPDATE POST 452 [26 OCT]*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 Domestic Schedule/Routes *UPDATE POST 452 [26 OCT]*

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Thanks for posting! Can't wait to save up the $$$ to fly one. Hopefully ORD-IAH or something like that.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: DL PM
United Announces Domestic 787 Routes

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....079&highlight=

Exciting eh?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
Just saw this in an email. ^ Definitely going to book a flight to see it before it hits the international routes.
Seems like a waste to fly domestically. The money maker for this is international routes.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:04 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Kinda disappointed in the domestic routes....all IAH based
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: Continetnal Silver
Don't see it loaded

I was hoping I would be able to go on it for the thanksgiving EWR IAH but I don't see it loaded in November.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by tale
I was hoping I would be able to go on it for the thanksgiving EWR IAH but I don't see it loaded in November.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
They will be available for sale September 1st.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by tale
9/1 is the date those flights will be loaded into the system.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:21 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by shortkidd
Seems like a waste to fly domestically. The money maker for this is international routes.
This is the same as CO did when they introduced the 777. It is more to give the pilots and flight crews familiarity with the aircraft than anything else. The more and shorter segments, the more crew can become familiar. Remember that even the ground crews (baggage handlers, etc.) need hands-on training.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They are flying it internationally. A lot. But it has to get between the operational base and the gateways. And they need to get enough crew flying on it long enough to be familiar enough to fly it on the long-haul routes. This isn't like they are wholly dedicating the aircraft to only domestic routes forever.
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Yeah, it really is a shame that the initial routes will be run from where the crew and maintenance bases are.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
Just saw this in an email. ^ Definitely going to book a flight to see it before it hits the international routes.
I'm just doing it to ride the first flight. Rode the the first 777 flight also.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yeah, it really is a shame that the initial routes will be run from where the crew and maintenance bases are.
I know thinking outside the box can be hard. I guess just one day flying to IAD and returning is disappointing. And, I know it would be so hard to have their crews stay overnight in a location - the challenges that it would pose
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Of course its mainly going to be red-eyes for the direction i fly
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
100% mid-cons. Interesting. Guess it gives more people an opportunity to fly it, and reduces the frustration level from someone giving a lot of importance to that plane on a long flight and having it yanked out from under them.

Still, most anyone holds up well for a 2.5-4 hour flight. It's about the 4.5 hour mark that you feel like you'd rather be elsewhere, when are you landing, etc. How does that experience differ on the 787?
I flew the NRT-BOS JL non-stop in J, at just over 12 hours. It's still a 12-hour airplane ride! Sure, the LED lights were cool as were the high-tech potties; the windows are larger and darken electronically; the cabin altitude is lower (6K ft vs 8K ft at 39K ft altitude), and the humidity is higher (I didn't notice that). BUT IT'S ALL ABOUT THE INTERIOR. The JL J seat was OK, but not great. 2 x 2 x 2 in J was reasonable, but certainly not spacious; nor was it 180 degrees flat.

I poked my head into Y, and the pax sitting in the 2 x 4 x 2 configured cabin looked like they were "enjoying" it just as much as any passenger in UA E-. (Oh, and UA's interior is 3 x 3 x 3!) IT'S ALL ABOUT THE INTERIOR.

What I'm hoping is that we UA flyers will benefit from its hopefully superior dispatch reliability, compared to the frequent MXs we now endure on the current widebody international fleet.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by mh3265a
While United WAS Chicago's hometown airline.....this new COdbaUA company is Houston's hometown airline.....as a Chicagoan I find that sad, but that's ok because here I am an on AA flight at 35k right now sending this message....does COdbaUA have wifi yet on anything other than PS routes?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
While United WAS Chicago's hometown airline.....this new COdbaUA company is Houston's hometown airline
I don't think anyone in Houston feels that way anymore. Perhaps UA is an airline without a home?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.