Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New/Changed Flight Numbers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

New/Changed Flight Numbers

I remember UA916/UA917 SEA-IAD for as long as I've lived in Seattle. Those were the flights I flew most often to make European connections in IAD. The same flight numbers were also used on IAD-FRA segments. Many good memories relate to these flights. And some of the best service from SEA-based crews!

Sadly, starting today, UA discontinued numbers 916 and 917 on domestic segments SEA-IAD-SEA and renamed them as follows:

UA916 8am SEA-IAD became UA282
UA917 5:20pm IAD-SEA became UA442

These flights will never be the same. A trully sad day.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 29, 2012 at 5:13 am Reason: original thread title made it sound like the route was discontinued
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
I'm sorry to hear that. However, there may be a significant silver lining: *As I understand it,* your flights from SEA to FRA via IAD, or for anyone who takes them, will now receive the full mileage for that routing, rather than the miles one would earn from a nonstop SEA-FRA flight.

(Please tell me if I have somehow confused myself and this is entirely false.)

That should equate to a roughly 2300 mile bonus each way.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by AntonS
I remember UA916/UA917 SEA-IAD for as long as I've lived in Seattle. Those were the flights I flew most often to make European connections in IAD. The same flight numbers were also used on IAD-FRA segments. Many good memories relate to these flights. And some of the best service from SEA-based crews!

Sadly, starting today, UA discontinued numbers 916 and 917 on domestic segments SEA-IAD-SEA and renamed them as follows:

UA916 8am SEA-IAD became UA282
UA917 5:20pm IAD-SEA became UA442

These flights will never be the same. A trully sad day.
I hear ya.

Weve lost my personal favorites UNITED 40 and 933(domestic) too.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
No more UA916/917 SEA-IAD

Look on the bright side, it's just a change in flight numbers. It's not like $misek has taken away any FF benefits, or UA reservations are screwed up, or you can't access the site, or..... oh, wait, never mind...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by ezefllying
I'm sorry to hear that. However, there may be a significant silver lining: *As I understand it,* your flights from SEA to FRA via IAD, or for anyone who takes them, will now receive the full mileage for that routing, rather than the miles one would earn from a nonstop SEA-FRA flight.

Correct.

The only way to get miles flown credit for these "direct" flights is to book it segment-by-segment (such as via the multi-city search).
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
No more UA916/917 SEA-IAD (New Flight Numbers)

I hear you. Flight numbers used to make sense and follow a sort of chronological/numerical/directional order. Now they're all a jumble, some three digits and some four. There are plenty of more substantive things to complain about, I know.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
I guess what confuses me most about contemporary UA flight numbering is how much it's liable to change. I see flight numbers spring into existence for a few weeks, then vanish again, all over the system.

For a couple of years prior to the merger, UA awarded mileage SEA-IAD + IAD-FRA if you booked a single direct flight SEA-IAD-FRA. (It was still a bad idea for other reasons to book a direct flight.)

After 3 March, UA adopted the CO system of awarding only direct mileage if you booked the flight as a single segment, and awarding two-segment mileage if you booked the trip with distinct segments for SEA-IAD + IAD-FRA, which is hard to do without a reservation agent's help but not impossible, and which you might be able to do by yourself on united.com with "multi-city search".
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by UAL4life
I hear ya.

Weve lost my personal favorites UNITED 40 and 933(domestic) too.
I miss UA 1&2 ORD-HNL-ORD

UA1776 ORD-PHL (Such a special flight number for PHL!!!)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by shortkidd
I miss UA 1&2 ORD-HNL-ORD

UA1776 ORD-PHL (Such a special flight number for PHL!!!)
CO1776 was IAH-PHL

Bummer about the SEA-IAD flights but are the IAD-FRA flights now starting as a domestic leg from another airport? Or have they dropped the domestic segment completely?

-RM
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I'm nostalgic too, however I'm quite fine with seeing them go to avoid the stupid direct flight issues that can arise.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC

You're not confused, what you've said is correct - except for the number of miles. SEA-IAD-FRA is 6386 miles, where SEA-FRA is 5108, so the difference is only 1278 miles.

(Ignoring COS/status/etc bonuses)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: ua mileage plus
was lamenting this change just this morning!

wondered at the same time how it would be received! thanks for the validation! by the way, i'm with you!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:05 pm

Seriously people, I can understand the sentimental value, but come on is your life going change because such and such flight isn't the same number?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive, AmericanAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Seriously people, I can understand the sentimental value, but come on is your life going change because such and such flight isn't the same number?
Then why comment if you do not care yourself. It is just another change toward CO and it is great to come here and remember the great airline that was United.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
It just... made so much... SENSE before. I agree with poster who said the numbers are all a jumble now. There was some logic applied before and I miss that. I miss the series used for ORD-DCA 600-631 and the series used for ORD-LGA in the high 600s. For years you could figure out what your day was like knowing that 600 was the 6 am-ish flight ORD-DCA. No such logic anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.