Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sitting in Exit Row While Travelling With Children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting in Exit Row While Travelling With Children

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: United 1K
Thank you zenkerflyer!!!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by keith.miller
Thank you zenkerflyer!!!
+1 ^
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP is clearly an egocentric control freak. Last person you want managing the exit row, if you will. Someone who so easily "flips out" and can't control their emotions has no business managing anything in a crisis. And his Gold kids were proud of him? Great - another generation of "all about me" morons to look forward to flying with...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
And the OP states he's private pilot (hate to be riding in the same small plane as him) and a doctor (hate to be on his operating table).
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Shouldn't matter if the kids are 8, 13, 15 or 25 - if you have family sitting elsewhere on the flight, or even a pet, you should not be in the exit row - it's really for solo travelers or situations where the companion is seated in the same exit row and can be moved off quickly.

If I'm not sitting in the exit row, I expect the people in that row will be moving quickly to open the doors, climb out and help evacuate people quickly and without worrying about family, friends, pets or expensive bags left behind.

Maybe the purser could have been more diplomatic about it, but they were correct to do this...and it really shouldn't matter how old the kids are - no other family seated elsewhere on the plane you'll be worried about.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by zenkerflyer
I was on this said flight!!!! As an observer with my own spouse and 3 small children this is what I saw how things really played out. I was sitting just a a few rows behind..

FACTS

"Queen Purser" approached u and your wife spoke to you about the exit row conditions, you quickly rose to your feet and yelled at the Purser and said something on the lines "Of let me tell you something". She then walked up to first class to get what appeared to be help and you followed her up and continued to throw a fit, you then came back and continued to state to your wife that you were NOT moving. The purser came back and said one of you could sit there but one of you would have to move out of exit row to fit the exit rules. You seemed to still refuse. You made a comment about disowning your kids so you could sit there. Your children who appeared the oldest perhaps 10 at most, the other two maybe 5 and 7.

You were moved to a bulkhead aisle seat with you wife one row back with your children adjacent to you at your left.

You attempted to throw an I am entitlement fit, and lost. What you may not have realized is the passengers around you were applauding this "Queen Purser" on how she handled you. I was sure to let her know.
zenkerflyer, first, Welcome to Flyertalk! Hopefully you'll stick around; FT's a great resource.

Second, thanks for providing additional information re: the situation.

Cheers.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by ryerflyer
OP is clearly an egocentric control freak. Last person you want managing the exit row, if you will. Someone who so easily "flips out" and can't control their emotions has no business managing anything in a crisis. And his Gold kids were proud of him? Great - another generation of "all about me" morons to look forward to flying with...
Originally Posted by ger3sf
And the OP states he's private pilot (hate to be riding in the same small plane as him) and a doctor (hate to be on his operating table).
Whilst the OP appears to be in the wrong here, I think this point has been made clearly and heaping abuse on him doesn't really lead anywhere we'd like to be. Moderators, may I suggest that you close this thread? It seems to me that whatever lessons can be learnt from this have already been administered.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by zenkerflyer
I was on this said flight!!!! As an observer with my own spouse and 3 small children this is what I saw how things really played out. I was sitting just a a few rows behind..
Wow -- small world! Awesome.

Seriously, though, this rule needs to be clarified. How hard would it be to make the rule that someone who is a family member of a person too young to be in the exit row cannot themselves be in the exit row? The "small child" language is a problem.

It's a common refrain on FT that passengers are responsible for knowing the rules, and prior permitted conduct doesn't matter. I've seen this come up in many posts -- usually with the OP getting pretty firmly trounced. Everything from what kind of return travel documents are required to check in to a one-way flight to Italy to unaccompanied minors being allowed to fly outbound but not return. Generally, I'm in agreement, but some times it really does seem like a trap for the unwary. Despite all the claims that the rule here is "express," it's not. When you couple vague language with extremely inconsistent enforcement, you create a problem. Sometimes, it can leave a well-meaning passenger who is reasonably educated about flying in a middle seat or, worse, delayed. Sometimes, it can create an environment where a self-entitled DYKWIA can ruin the day of an FA and bother those around him. Either way, it really is up to the FAA to be clear and the airlines to enforce rules other than selectively.

Which brings me to my own children in the exit row story. I was flying HA with my family, and there was a completely open exit row one row ahead of us. A short time into the flight, I moved to the exit row. FA1 comes over and tells me I had to go back to my seat, which I did. About 10 minutes later, FA2 comes over and says, "it's ok, you can sit there." So, I do, and close my eyes. At which point FA1 comes over, shakes me, and starts reading me the riot act about how disobedience with crew member instructions can be fined. I tell her that the other FA said I could sit there. (Actually, I was momentarily confused; I think I didn't even understand it was two different FAs; I thought it was the same one.) She starts laying into me about getting a different FA to give me a different answer and lecturing me about the fact that I have family on the plane so there is a rule that says it's not good. I am about to mention that I didn't approach the other FA, she approached me, but the FA starts to tell me how she can have the pilot have me arrested when we land. At this point, I figure that anything I say or do can be held against me and I'm in a vulnerable position, so I simply apologize and go back to my seat.

I'm posting this not to draw fire about what a DYKWIA I am or to hear about how there are two sides to my story. Maybe there are. There actually is a different point -- ever since this experience, I pay close attention to the exit rows (especially because I'm often in one when I'm in Y). And I can say, at least based on my own small sample size, this particular "rule" is observed in the breach most of the time. Frequently. I think when the plane is filling up, this is the last thing on people's minds.

Once the rule was explained to me, it makes complete sense. But there really does come a point where the airlines' complete disinterest in enforcing rules, whether they are on the books or not, is on them, not on rightly confused PAX.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Don't expect much from UA. You were wrong. The FA pointed out the rules, and you argued/used profanity - what a great example to set for your children - not.

It's unfortunate that the 1K line said it was ok for you all to sit together in exit row/row behind when you said to the 1K line specifically (as I'm sure you did ), "I've got 3 young children & I think they're not allowed to sit behind me if I'm in the exit row. Could you let me know if that's the case, because if it is, we don't want to be separated & will pick other seats in E+ together."

Ultimately, FA & legit regs override 1K desk. You were in the wrong.

You have a teachable moment to your children - ie, "kids I'm sorry I was upset when they were going to split us apart on the plane. I love you & wanted to be close to you, but that doesn't excuse my losing my temper & using profanity to the FA. I want you do know that's not the way to handle a situation, and I'm sorry you had to see me behave in such a manner".

Cheers.
+1

I had the same thing happen to me on a flight from IAD to State College last year (United Express). I was annoyed and said so (kids were 16 and 10) but didn't throw a fit. In that case younger kid was with wife in non-exit row and 16 yr old was in exit row with me. I feel the problem is that the rule is not known or enforced the vast majority of the time. Like OP, I routinely book Exit row and adjacent row for family and have for years. If there's a rule against it I am totally fine with that, but just make it known and enforce it consistently. That one flight was the only time in probably 20 times I had booked the exit row in that way that it was ever mentioned (and the FA was kinda rude about it).

Completely agree about the teachable moment... that's the most important lesson in this case.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by emanon256
Not to be argumentative, but... Not all parents are less likely to get liquored up. And why would someone who is over weight fail to open the door properly? I think a parent running out to the exit row and going upstream to get his/her kids is far more likely to be a problem.
Right . . . the point was that there are plenty of other reasons that anyone in an exit row might be less capable of performing the relevant functions, but I find it odd that airlines strictly adhere to a vague FAA rule (which doesn't specify any children, just "small" children, which 15yos are not) but don't meaningfully screen for other incapacities (or prevent them in the case of drinking).
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
So it seems like we have a few definitions to deal with here. There are several terms UA (and the FAA) uses in their safety material. If you are fifteen or over, you are an "adult" and can sit in the exit row. If you are under fifteen, you are a child and cannot sit in the exit row. If you are a small child, your parent or guardian cannot sit in the exit row. So where is the line between child and small child? UA needs to quantify this so this type of situation doesn't come up again and again.

The material that everyone is citing seems to be the key. It says you can't sit in the exit row if you have to provide special care for someone to the extent it would prohibit you preforming the other duties listed (in sections 8, 9 & 10). Obviously people have strong opinions as to what a parent can do when he or she is traveling with children in an adjacent row.

For what it's worth, as a parent of children the exact same ages, I would have no problems with Dr. Tom being in the exit row and getting the door open in the unlikely event of an emergency (I'd rather have a doctor who has been trained to handle emergencies, than someone else who is more likely to loose it). And remember he is one of three so there is some built in redundancy. But that's just me and I understand others might be more averse to that.
I would think that the over 15 age requirement has to do with the person being old enough to be physically capable of removing the exit door and throwing it out of the plane, as much as with it being an adult/child litmus test...

I am also solidly in the camp that believes that with mother and father in the exit row and the children in the row behind, that their attention/loyalties would be conflicted (remove exit door and get out of the plane as quickly as possible vs. trying to help their children in the row behind them prior to executing their primary exit row task(s) )
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: United GS 1MM, WN A-List, Marriott LTPPE, CLEAR
Is it me...

or does it seem odd that Zenkerflyer is a first time poster and just happens to wander onto this site within a day or so of this flight to refute this story, never to post again. The OP is wrong. Dead wrong. But I laughed out loud reading everyone congratulating this "new party" for their "neutral story" and no one thinks how this is possible? Just saying...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by bwicoplat
or does it seem odd that Zenkerflyer is a first time poster and just happens to wander onto this site within a day or so of this flight to refute this story, never to post again. The OP is wrong. Dead wrong. But I laughed out loud reading everyone congratulating this "new party" for their "neutral story" and no one thinks how this is possible? Just saying...
It's a good point.

I think zenkerflyer's story fits in with the prevailing FT theme on these, which often tends to be PAX always wrong, Airline always right, so we all jumped in line for confirmation of what we already believe.

Kind of interesting thought experiment -- if zenkerflyer had posted that he was on the flight and that the FA was being a prima donna, looking for a fight, and went out of her way to be abusive to the passenger, I bet you would have had 10 people jump on the post to say, "you're a first time poster, I'm sure you weren't there, it's too unlikely." Interesting point.

Whether or not zen was actually there, I think the far more interesting question is the FT response to that kind of post.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by bwicoplat
I read FT for a few years without ever signing up until I found something I felt I needed to reply to. On that day, I signed up, and now spend way too much time here. I would assume Zenkeflyer did the same. Why else would someone have any reason to say such? The OP used so much profanity before it was moderated that he already looked pretty bad before Zenkerflyer commented, but I am glad she/he did.

I have also had two "I was on that flight too" moments in the last month. Pretty cool!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: United GS 1MM, WN A-List, Marriott LTPPE, CLEAR
Agree. I've had instances where I've complained about something here and had another poster verfiy what I said. It makes you realize just how small a world it it. Not impugning anyone's ability to tell their story, just observing how everyone lauded zenkerflyer for his/her version of the story, when in the past I've seen people villfied for much less. I just thought it funny and wanted to give the masses something to ponder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.